ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for something new to read

St. Louis Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Anyone read anything good lately? Looking for non-fiction. Just finished Six Tires, No Plan - would highly recommend to the business guys. Thanks!

just finished "Killing Patton" it was an awesome read.

just started reading "Streets of Mogadishu - Leadership at its Best, Political Correctness at its Worst"

Several years old but just read In the Garden of Beasts which is an American family's experiences in Nazi Germany during the 1930s. It inspired me to finally read The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich.

Berlin, pre-WW2 story about an American family living there as Hitler ascends to power and starts his "Jew" thing, non-fiction..."In the Garden of Beasts"by Erik Larson.

This post was edited on 3/7 4:43 PM by joelbc1

"The Martian"

It's fiction but written by a former computer programmer who researched the hell out of space travel and survival on Mars. Great read....think "Gravity" but smarter.

Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts" is an excellent book. Non-fiction as you prefer, President Roosevelt appoints William Dodd, a history professor from the University of Chicago, to be U.S. Ambassador to Germany. Dodd and his family are there from 1933-1937. He finally resigns when he can't take being around the Nazis any longer.

I recently read S. C. Gwynne's "Rebel Yell," a very good biography on Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Highly recommended to Civil War and history buffs.
This post was edited on 3/7 5:18 PM by rchawk

I'll second Rebel Yell, if you like Civil War history; it really gives you a different perspective on Stonewall, and also on some of the other Confederate generals. Lee always said that losing Stonewall was like losing his right arm, and it does seem like with him and his aggressiveness on day one, they probably would have won at Gettysburg, and that might have changed the whole outcome of the war.

Originally posted by rchawk:

Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts" is an excellent book. Non-fiction as you prefer, President Roosevelt appoints William Dodd, a history professor from the University of Chicago, to be U.S. Ambassador to Germany. Dodd and his family are there from 1933-1937. He finally resigns when he can't take being around the Nazis any longer.

Coincidently, in Sunday's Register, there is an interesting article regarding this author and his recent works. According to the article, Tom Hanks has purchased the film rights to "In the Garden....." and has started filmwork on it.
Erik Larson's latest book is about the sinking of the Lusitania.

The Hillary Clinton Emails will soon be made
available to the public in the form of a book.

Currently reading Astoria about the exploration of the Pacific NW for fur trading etc. Pretty good if you like books like David McCullough's. This is similar.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by St. Louis Hawk:

Anyone read anything good lately? Looking for non-fiction. Just finished Six Tires, No Plan - would highly recommend to the business guys. Thanks!
{this business} and I are connected here in tx and I should certainly read the book for sure, I do business with them, they are one heck of an operation

Originally posted by Accipiter:
I'll second Rebel Yell, if you like Civil War history; it really gives you a different perspective on Stonewall, and also on some of the other Confederate generals. Lee always said that losing Stonewall was like losing his right arm, and it does seem like with him and his aggressiveness on day one, they probably would have won at Gettysburg, and that might have changed the whole outcome of the war.
You are right about that Accipiter, Dick Ewell could have taken Culp's Hill late on the first day of battle. General Ewell was a good soldier but he lacked Jackson's aggressive nature, and harbored doubts, reservations, that never would have entered Jackson's mind.

Last spring I saw the house where Stonewall died. It's a small building, off the beaten path. I thought of Doctor Hunter McGuire and Mary Anna Jackson being there with him, when he crossed over the river and rested under the shade of the trees.

Dr. McGuire would later serve as president of the American Medical Association.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT