ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like another possible derecho event tonight

We took down all the old trees after the last Derecho. There is still one in the parking (city land). Huge. Old. Sways all the damn time. I've talked with the City of Ames as they have been taking down and replanting trees on down our street for years. There response, "that is not on our scheduled plan". My response: Not if, but when a storm knocks that tree down, it will certainly total about 3-4 cars, damage at least 3 homes, and will shut down one of your main travel routes for a while. So when someone dies for a medical emergency because a fire truck or ambulance needs to get through, I'll be the first person to find a large firm to take the case to sue the shit out of the city for negligence, in fact, wanton recklessness.

CSB

Reactions: LunchBox50
silly question but is this a situation where you are primarily at a secondary location, like a relative or friends home (with power) until the power is back on at your place? Checking on your home every 1-2 hours or so?

silly question but is this a situation where you are primarily at a secondary location, like a relative or friends home (with power) until the power is back on at your place? Checking on your home every 1-2 hours or so?
We will be coming back home today from vacation. Much like in 2021, I anticipate trying to ship the kids to friends’ houses (we don’t have family in town) as much as possible. I will do my best to utilize public locations and the gym we are members to.

Not looking forward to sleeping in this heat. Last time it took nearly a week for power to be restored.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
My wife and 2 youngest stayed at my oldests’s apartment last night. I stayed at the house with the dog. We are staying at the Marriott tonight and possibly Saturday. The dog is going out to my parents if no power is restored this afternoon. Couldn’t get her into my buddies facility as they are all full from the power outages. Luckily my current job is at the new let it fly (old barrel&vine) out west. So I am only about 15 mins from home. The bad thing is my shop at the house is out since no power so I can’t make anymore cabinets/doors.

My wife and 2 youngest stayed at my oldests’s apartment last night. I stayed at the house with the dog. We are staying at the Marriott tonight and possibly Saturday. The dog is going out to my parents if no power is restored this afternoon. Couldn’t get her into my buddies facility as they are all full from the power outages. Luckily my current job is at the new let it fly (old barrel&vine) out west. So I am only about 15 mins from home. The bad thing is my shop at the house is out since no power so I can’t make anymore cabinets/doors.
Any luck?

As of 30 mins ago no, we got a room downtown Marriott. And luckily my buddy’s place had cancellations so got the dog in for the wknd. We are 1 of the 58 k still dead in the water. Could be worse though, thank you for asking. Hoping to see at least trucks in the area in the early morning when I go back to the house

As of 30 mins ago no, we got a room downtown Marriott. And luckily my buddy’s place had cancellations so got the dog in for the wknd. We are 1 of the 58 k still dead in the water. Could be worse though, thank you for asking. Hoping to see at least trucks in the area in the early morning when I go back to the house
We are not back yet but apparently ours came on around 2:00 pm. Need anything, let me know. Happy to help.

• Love
Reactions: Twoooooooo
We can call it something else then. Worst damage I have seen in my life minus tornadoes. Worst power outage ever for OPPD. Saying between 6-8 days before power is fully restored. Been 24 hours now for us

Went 12 days in 2020 in CR. Sucked. I hope you're back on shortly. Now all the food has to be thrown out (I still didn't trust it even with a generator). Thankfully there wasn't a lot of rain after the CR derecho. Sump pump wasn't a concern thankfully. God speed

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Thankfully there wasn't a lot of rain after the CR derecho.

What's insane about the derecho is we didn't get but I believe 0.40" (or was it 0.70"?) from it. Rain wasn't a problem with the storm - we didn't get that much. And the weeks after the derecho...damn near perfect weather overall for that initial round of cleanup and getting power restored.

It also was what amounted to being the beginning of our drought in eastern Iowa. You look at the monthly rainfall records - July 2024 was the heaviest precipitation month since the derecho.

It was like that storm turned off the faucet. I doubt there's any meteorological "science" behind it - but you look at the monthly precip totals following 8/2020, that's when we stopped getting our normal monthly rains.

We are 62 hours and counting. Have seen multiple oppd trucks in the area and city trucks have come into the neighborhood to start their clean up. Progress 👍🏿

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT