ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola Chicago has 5 good Guards

love how that team plays. athletic quick guards actually pretty good athletes overall. we aren't even close to what they offer as a team. watching this tourny show me how far away we are. the D has been suffocating in quite a few of these games. we would have way to many turnovers

I looked up Loyola's roster; 16 players, NINE guards. Guess this reflects their style of play. Wasn't Fran a guard at Penn? I'll bet our next two schollies after Wieskamp's class are guards.

My first thought, was TV ratings. Trying to make up for screwing us. We are never down. The venues and talent in the BIG are unreal.

Message board buzzwords eventually reach a point of overkill. Im ready for "meltdown" to be out of style.

Can we bring back "dumpster fire"?
Dumpster fire refers to the program, meltdown refers to the fan base. Meltdown is appropriate here.

Dumpster fire refers to the program, meltdown refers to the fan base. Meltdown is appropriate here.

Sort of, an actual meltdown can only happen once.

It was a joke I actually cant stand any of the cliche buzzwords.

Its just funny how theyre everywhere one year and gone the next.

I looked up Loyola's roster; 16 players, NINE guards. Guess this reflects their style of play. Wasn't Fran a guard at Penn? I'll bet our next two schollies after Wieskamp's class are guards.

Yes, Fran was a guard, and he's the type of guard he generally recruits. I'm guessing the difference is Fran was a unique talent at his height and size to be playing guard and probably knew how to use it to his advantage (I admit, I never saw him play). I can only assume that he thinks the guards he recruit will have the same instincts and abilities he did, which might be part of the problem. Some people think that because they could do something, everyone should be able to. Or the guys he recruits do fit that mold when they are playing high school ball, but it doesn't transfer to Big Ten ball.

I've wondered recently if it's simply the fact that he recruits like he did at Sienna. In that conference you can get away with what we have. We'd be dominant, get in the tournament, and still be fresh to make a run at the end of the year. In the physical Big Ten it doesn't work that way and we rarely even get to the tournament.

I still hope we give him two years to see what this next class brings to the table. I don't like the idea of playing "musical coaches", or eventually you become a school that coaches will use as a stepping stone.

Yes, Fran was a guard, and he's the type of guard he generally recruits. I'm guessing the difference is Fran was a unique talent at his height and size to be playing guard and probably knew how to use it to his advantage (I admit, I never saw him play). I can only assume that he thinks the guards he recruit will have the same instincts and abilities he did, which might be part of the problem. Some people think that because they could do something, everyone should be able to. Or the guys he recruits do fit that mold when they are playing high school ball, but it doesn't transfer to Big Ten ball.

I've wondered recently if it's simply the fact that he recruits like he did at Sienna. In that conference you can get away with what we have. We'd be dominant, get in the tournament, and still be fresh to make a run at the end of the year. In the physical Big Ten it doesn't work that way and we rarely even get to the tournament.

I still hope we give him two years to see what this next class brings to the table. I don't like the idea of playing "musical coaches", or eventually you become a school that coaches will use as a stepping stone.
If he thinks that its new since he came to Iowa. His Sienna teams had waterbugs in the back court.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Guards, we don't need no stinking guards!!! We have length and play with pace. o_O

love how that team plays. athletic quick guards actually pretty good athletes overall. we aren't even close to what they offer as a team. watching this tourny show me how far away we are. the D has been suffocating in quite a few of these games. we would have way to many turnovers

I agree, we are way behind when it comes to our guards and small forward. Next year we get a bump for the small forward position but we're still missing a couple of quick guards. If we don't get any additions for next year, it will be another bad year.

We better have 2 more guards joining Wieskamp's class! We got the scholarships.

Absolutely another great game. These Loyola kids don't quit. Three NCAA victories by 4 total points. Yeah, they absolutely show the importance of great guards.

It's interesting how many of Loyola's players are NOT from Chicago or suburbs.. You'd think that they would stock up from there. Also, they may be "athletic" but not all are "athletic" as it's usually defined. Like Custer.

and thye don't have to be
Iowa Offered one. Custer he went to Iowa st and transferred out after first year.

If we had offered the others be lot of complaining about it here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT