ADVERTISEMENT

March 14 Joe Lunardi / ESPN Bracketology: IOWA is on the Bubble (7th Team OUT). #59 NET Ranking (8th Best in B1G) on March 14

Does Indiana State deserve a bid?

Lots of varying opinions.

...............Indiana St.....IOWA
Quad 1:........1-4................3-8
Quad 2:.......4-1................5-3
Quad 3:.....10-0...............4-2
Quad 4:.....12-1................6-0
...................27-6............18-13

NET
Rank..Previous..Record...Road..Neutral..Home..Quad1...Quad 2...Quad 3...Quad 4

2926Indiana St.MVC27-69-46-112-11-44-110-012-1
6057IowaBig Ten18-134-82-112-43-85-34-26-0
No wins against power 5. Or any wins against projected field except Drake but 1-2 vs them. And a Quad 4 loss.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I feel the same way. I will still go watch. Hate passing up the BTT since it is this close.
The Illinois game left a mark.

Absolute must win, senior night. Packed house.

Come out and lay a turd.

This team is mentally weak and lacks a leader. It is what it is...expect a lot of deer in the headlights moments Thursday.

On the upside only one more game of watching PMAC off the ball ridiculousness and wanting to punch my television.

Come out and lay a turd.

This team is mentally weak and lacks a leader. It is what it is...expect a lot of deer in the headlights moments Thursday.

On the upside only one more game of watching PMAC off the ball ridiculousness and wanting to punch my television.
Iowa's track record is as bad in BTT as NCAA tournament.
4 straight years of losing double digit seed in first game of BTT. A fifth time last year.
3 straight NCAA tournaments losing to lower seeded team.
2022 was great. Semi's would be great this year. At least a chance for NCAA tourney.

Iowa's track record is as bad in BTT as NCAA tournament.
4 straight years of losing double digit seed in first game of BTT. A fifth time last year.
3 straight NCAA tournaments losing to lower seeded team.
2022 was great. Semi's would be great this year. At least a chance for NCAA tourney.

Beating Ohio State & Illinois should get us in....right? ;)

I am not holding my breath, though....

Come out and lay a turd.

This... and people here say Fran is great at developing kids. I'd say PMac has regressed. IDK how anyone can be so ineffective in 2 of 3 phases of the game, defense & rebounding. He never hits the defensive boards & just tries to stay on the wing for breakaways. News flash, if you don't get the rebound there will be n fast breaks!

Come out and lay a turd.

The mentally weak & lacks a leader comment is a tired trope. Hawk fans have been repeating this for 20 years. Lame comment as it’s impossible to quantify.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I am afraid that Ohio State thinks that by making a run in the B1G Tournament they might slide into the Big Dance. Not sure about that. They would probably have to win 3 games or maybe even the Championship.

It should be a very good game tomorrow night.
Most think they have to win 3 games to get into the Big Dance. That's a dangerous OSU team right now that's on a roll since they fired Holtmann. They were the last team to beat Purdue just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Another team to watch in the B1G Tourney is Northwestern. They're my pick to win it as nobody is giving them much credit for a really solid season

• Wow
Reactions: Franisdaman
This... and people here say Fran is great at developing kids. I'd say PMac has regressed. IDK how anyone can be so ineffective in 2 of 3 phases of the game, defense & rebounding. He never hits the defensive boards & just tries to stay on the wing for breakaways. News flash, if you don't get the rebound there will be n fast breaks!

And I tend to think of him as a good 3 point shooter yet his percentage is crap. He IS a good FT shooter, skilled at long in bounds passes and defending in bounds passes, but that is about it. Anything else? Sounds like a limited role player.

The mentally weak & lacks a leader comment is a tired trope. Hawk fans have been repeating this for 20 years. Lame comment as it’s impossible to quantify.
zero games beyond the first week of the tourney. Seems pretty quantifiable.

Iowa basketball fans’ expectations > Iowa basketball team’s ability to meet those expectations.

But sometimes we’re right and that’s why we watch.

Most think they have to win 3 games to get into the Big Dance. That's a dangerous OSU team right now that's on a roll since they fired Holtmann. They were the last team to beat Purdue just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Another team to watch in the B1G Tourney is Northwestern. They're my pick to win it as nobody is giving them much credit for a really solid season
They have wins vs Alabama, Purdue, at MSU, Nebraska. I’ve heard they would only have to win two maybe even one depending on how many slots there are. If Iowa wins and more slots open up, Ohio State may look better than some of the other bubble teams as-is.

Reactions: NI hawk

Come out and lay a turd.

I have come to grips that when it comes to Iowa basketball, I am in hope for the best but expect the worst mode.

Last edited:

Before the injuries, I might have agreed with you.

Mike DeCourcy writes for The Sporting News and is a Big Ten Network Studio Analyst.

In his bracket from this afternoon, he has IOWA as the 5th team OUT.

He has 6 B1G teams in.

His 6 B1G Teams:
1 Purdue
4 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
9 Northwestern
9 Nebraska @Alum-Ni
10 Michigan State

GIkFZJ7bAAAXG44

GIkDOLQbQAAowlO

GIkEVS1acAAmBC7

I wonder if markfromj will acknowledge tomorrow's game is a "must win" for Iowa's NCAA tournament chances?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03

Are they 100% healthy yet? had a few starters out vs. Iowa.

Indeed. Fran's record in win-to-survive games during March is his biggest Achilles Heel.
I wonder about this. One tends to forget the tourney games (BTT. NIT, and NCAA) we won.

Every team but the champ (and I guess the runner-up) fails to win a “win-to-survive” game.

Do you know Fran’s record in tourney games?

I wonder about this. One tends to forget the tourney games (BTT. NIT, and NCAA) we won.

Every team but the champ (and I guess the runner-up) fails to win a “win-to-survive” game.

Do you know Fran’s record in tourney games?

Counting post regular season tournaments (non in season holiday tournaments/exempt tournaments)

BTT: 9-11 .450
NIT: 6-3 .667*
NCAA: 4-7 .364

Overall: 19-21 .475

**edit NIT record

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
No wins against power 5. Or any wins against projected field except Drake but 1-2 vs them. And a Quad 4 loss.

Lowest net ranking team to miss the tourney is NC State at 33 in 2019. Lowest since then was 38. Them missing it at 29 would be a huge outlier.

I've said previously, Indiana St will be in. They will steal a bid from the Mountain West which predicts 6 teams in. No way a mid major conference (even as good as MWC is this year) should get 6 teams in the tourney. Unprecedented.

Which one should be left out? The resumes of the 6 teams likely in are all tourney resumes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT