ADVERTISEMENT

March 14 Joe Lunardi / ESPN Bracketology: IOWA is on the Bubble (7th Team OUT). #59 NET Ranking (8th Best in B1G) on March 14

Alot of double bubble games could help/hurt chances. Seton Hall/ St. Johns in Big East, Iowa -Ohio State, If Wake wins 1 game they will play Pitt in ACC, Same with Utah win and face Colorado plus Nova and Providence get to play Depaul and Georgetown and if they win them get to face Marquette and Creighton.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Alot of double bubble games could help/hurt chances. Seton Hall/ St. Johns in Big East, Iowa -Ohio State, If Wake wins 1 game they will play Pitt in ACC, Same with Utah win and face Colorado plus Nova and Providence get to play Depaul and Georgetown and if they win them get to face Marquette and Creighton.
The flip side to that is that one of Seton Hall/SJ will go 0-1. I think we are rooting for Seton Hall in that one as they are ahead of SJ on the bubble IMO. Nova and Providence winning Q4 games isn't going to move the needle much, so we need to cheer for Marquette and Creighton to handle business early on.
Wake and Utah both feel further back from the actual bubble than Colorado and Pitt currently. Will be interesting to see what happens in those--but ultimately, those teams playing each other early on is probably a good thing. It means only 1 or each conference can go on a run and play their way in.

Sorry, just not seeing it. Pryce has poor lateral quickness and lacks strength. He is long, but doubt that would work against Shannon’s muscle. Dix is still our best bet with maybe some help from Perkins. But he is a problem matchup no matter who is on him.
Yes.
This would not be a good move. The most you'd get with putting him out there is to give up fouls and make Shannon shoot FTs. He is so athletically out of his class against Shannon that they're not playing the same game.

So many permutations to consider with the large number of mediocre to poor teams depending on how big a bubble you want to make.
As is always the case, it depends on what happens in conference tourney's everywhere as to who squeaks in and who gets left out. Example, as noted with the MVC they very likely went from a one bid league to a two bid league. Probably the same if FAU loses the American.

So many permutations to consider with the large number of mediocre to poor teams depending on how big a bubble you want to make.
As is always the case, it depends on what happens in conference tourney's everywhere as to who squeaks in and who gets left out. Example, as noted with the MVC they very likely went from a one bid league to a two bid league. Probably the same if FAU loses the American.
That is already being accounted for in most Bracket projections right now--most have South Florida and Richmond as the auto bids as they are the #1 seeds in their leagues. Those 2 teams also have 0 chance at an at-large if they were to lose. So if Dayton & FAU win their league titles, that expands the bubble.

Reactions: Underscore2
Dix is our best on ball defender. I get your point about length, but Dix contests shots pretty well. Defense is a team effort and they shouldv'e focused more on stopping Shannon as a team. He had way to many drives and open looks. I would have sent double teams at him and get the ball out of his hands. Make someone else beat you. He absolutely destroyed Iowa, esp in the first half.

Didn't seem like anyone helped stop his drives.
Shannon was actually controlled very well in the first game, mostly because Dix was his primary defender. Coleman Hawkins killed us in the first game. Last night, they started with Tony guarding him, but Tony tends to drift to other things, which you cannot do when guarding Shannon. If you let him get a step or two toward the basket, it is too late.

Last night, Douchebag, or whatever the white Illannoy guard is called, got several prayers answered shooting over Dix. The turn around hoist to the sky from 3, when the clock was expiring down the stretch, might go in 5% of the time. Dix just missed blocking it. Unfortunately, Illannoy has a lot of weapons.

Another bracketologist looking at Iowa and pondering if Iowa needs 2 or 3 wins in the B1G Tournament.

The full text of the tweet 10 minutes after Iowa lost to Illinois:

Tonight's loss will push Iowa to 12-13 against Quadrants 1-3, which isn't a dealbreaker, as a few teams have gotten a bid with 1-game under .500 before.

However, this makes Iowa's path substantially more tenuous and they under no circumstances can afford a first-round exit at the Big 10 Tournament now.

One win in Minneapolis will be essential, 2+ is likely what's needed to feel truly comfortable come Selection Sunday.

• Love
Reactions: Underscore2
6th team OUT

GIaVfVPW4AAxgs-

Reactions: OneHawkeye
I don’t get why Seton Hall is above us and in. They have two more wins, granted, but head-to-head on a neutral court should count for something.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I don’t get why Seton Hall is above us and in. They have two more wins, granted, but head-to-head on a neutral court should count for something.
5 Q1 wins (and good Q1 wins at that): UConn, Marquette, @ St Johns, @ Providence, @ Butler. Only 1 loss in Q3 (Rutgers)

5 Q1 wins (and good Q1 wins at that): UConn, Marquette, @ St Johns, @ Providence, @ Butler. Only 1 loss in Q3 (Rutgers)
Sure. The UConn win is impressive. But their NET is actually lower than ours. And I find the whole quad thing arbitrary. OSU and Minnesota are both good wins for us, but just outside the lines of demarcation.

Sure. The UConn win is impressive. But their NET is actually lower than ours. And I find the whole quad thing arbitrary. OSU and Minnesota are both good wins for us, but just outside the lines of demarcation.

And on Selection Sunday it seems like the Chairman moves the goal post when explaining why one team got in and another team got left out

And on Selection Sunday it seems like the Chairman moves the goal post when explaining why one team got in and another team got left out
They do and they have to. No two teams and no two years are the same.

They cannot say, and should be expected to say, what the criteria are. They are infinite and ever changing.

Can I become a bracketoligist and say iowa is last 4 in, then my bracket gets added to the discussion?

Does Indiana State deserve a bid?

Lots of varying opinions.

...............Indiana St.....IOWA
Quad 1:........1-4................3-8
Quad 2:.......4-1................5-3
Quad 3:.....10-0...............4-2
Quad 4:.....12-1................6-0
...................27-6............18-13

NET
Rank..Previous..Record...Road..Neutral..Home..Quad1...Quad 2...Quad 3...Quad 4

2926Indiana St.MVC27-69-46-112-11-44-110-012-1
6057IowaBig Ten18-134-82-112-43-85-34-26-0

Does Indiana State deserve a bid?

Lots of varying opinions.

...............Indiana St.....IOWA
Quad 1:........1-4................3-8
Quad 2:.......4-1................5-3
Quad 3:.....10-0...............4-2
Quad 4:.....12-1................6-0
...................27-6............18-13

NET
Rank..Previous..Record...Road..Neutral..Home..Quad1...Quad 2...Quad 3...Quad 4

2926Indiana St.MVC27-69-46-112-11-44-110-012-1
6057IowaBig Ten18-134-82-112-43-85-34-26-0
I've said previously, Indiana St will be in. They will steal a bid from the Mountain West which predicts 6 teams in. No way a mid major conference (even as good as MWC is this year) should get 6 teams in the tourney. Unprecedented.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The actual NET ranking has 0 input into team selection, it is only used to determine the quality of wins/losses.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT