ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs

I posted 4 sample reasons above. There are many others.

But most likely he went there to kill gay people. But reporters should not report on things "most likely".
That’s not what you said in your initial post. You said they shouldn’t even report it was a LGBTQ bar. Like an attack at a church should just be reported as a shooting in some building.

Would it make you feel better if I posted this was an evil act. I assumed everyone realized that, I mean I did, but if it makes you feel better: This was an evil act
I thought we weren't supposed to assume in this thread? Now we're supposed to assume you believe it's evil? Why, others from your party in this very thread don't hold that position.

Almost as funny as you clamoring for an all white Hawks bball team.

I'm not and never have been.

What I'm also not is a racist/bigot who thinks all black players are better than all white players, and that "We need more black players". Ridiculous and should be offensive to all. Stereotyping.

That’s not what you said in your initial post. You said they shouldn’t even report it was a LGBTQ bar. Like an attack at a church should just be reported as a shooting in some building.
Just for arguments sake: if it’s a church shooting, it’s not “shooting at Lutheran church”, it’s “church shooting”. Unless it’s a Synagogue- then it’s anti semetic

Me saying "he mostly likely went there to kill gay people" is not the same as a reporter stating the bar was a LGBTQ bar. Reporters are not supposed to speculate on motives.

The church case is different. That is a kind of physical location, as is a "bar".

We have a direct line between the shooter and anti LGBTQ rhetoric. He was brought up in an anti LGBTQ household. His grandfather is a famous anti LGBTQ official.

Do we know yet? No. But it looks very very likely this was a homophobic hate crime.

Suspect so. Again, though, "looks like" is not a defendable journalism standard.

Me saying "he mostly likely went there to kill gay people" is not the same as a reporter stating the bar was a LGBTQ bar. Reporters are not supposed to speculate on motives.

The church case is different. That is a kind of physical location, as is a "bar".
The reporter was reporting facts. It’s a gay bar. You are the one dying on this weird hill for some reason.

I'm not and never have been.

What I'm also not is a racist/bigot who thinks all black players are better than all white players, and that "We need more black players". Ridiculous and should be offensive to all. Stereotyping.
I wish I could see you throw your remote in anger when Fran puts out a lineup of Bowen/Ulis/Perkins/Murray/Ogundele. Would be great to see.

No, we think he was angry at bars and happened to walk into the only gay bar by coincidence. He just got lost on his way to the other hundred or so regular bars.
When people fight so hard to argue for something so dumb, I assume they’re either Trad or they are truly homophobic and think they’re cleverly hiding it. Or they’re just weird.

The reporter was reporting facts. It’s a gay bar. You are the one dying on this weird hill for some reason.

Did the reporter indicate what color the bar was? If not, why not? That's a fact, too.

Wouldn't the most accepting-of-the-LGBTQ community be to report this as "just" a bar, until the relevance of the LGBTQ tie was clear?

This is a VERY important hill to die on. My position strikes to the very heart of non-acceptance and non-tolerance: NOT treating the LGBTQ as the same as cis.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I'll bite. No, we don't "know" he targeted the gay bar, but we do know it was/is in fact a "gay bar". Nothing wrong with reporting that the bar was a "gay bar". Credible journalism would also, in fact, be "It's unknown at this time what the attackers motives were, but based on the alleged shooter's attire it would appear this was a planned attack."

Those of us on the message board, though, should be pretty open to point out this was most likely a hate crime. Typically, scorned lovers don't go all SWAT in a clearly orchestrated attack. Again, I'm open to eating crow.

Reactions: TennNole17
Did the reporter indicate what color the bar was? If not, why not? That's a fact, too.

Wouldn't the most accepting-of-the-LGBTQ community be to report this as "just" a bar, until the relevance of the LGBTQ tie was clear?

This is a VERY important hill to die on. My position strikes to the very heart of non-acceptance and non-tolerance: NOT treating the LGBTQ as the same as cis.
ok boomer

I suspect if it was a cop bar, we’d assume (but not report) it was likely they targeted cops?

I'll bite. No, we don't "know" he targeted the gay bar, but we do know it was/is in fact a "gay bar". Nothing wrong with reporting that the bar was a "gay bar". Credible journalism would also, in fact, be "It's unknown at this time what the attackers motives were, but based on the alleged shooter's attire it would appear this was a planned attack."

Those of us on the message board, though, should be pretty open to point out this was most likely a hate crime. Typically, scorned lovers don't go all SWAT in a clearly orchestrated attack. Again, I'm open to eating crow.

They are reporting today he is being charged with hate crimes.

likely because he hated the noise and traffic the <non-discript type of> bar created

It's part of the bar's identity. Would be like reporting a shooting at a House of Worship and failing to report what type. Is it a Mosque, Jewish Synagogue, Catholic, Mega Church etc etc.

Agreed. Calling it a "House of Worship" would be much better than citing the religion, as the latter can imply motive before one is known.

Lol
You know we see through this charade, right?

In a distant future where the debate of LGBTQ+ rights are no longer a divisive topic, then sure your point would be valid. However, that isn't the case here.

Furthermore, I've seen reports be very discriptive:

"The shooting took place at this widely known biker bar, here in South Side San Antonio"
or
"The incident happened at a restaurant known for it's strong ties to the African American community"

Reactions: BelemNole

Thank you for saying we don't know.

Of course it was a planned attack. That says nothing of motive.

"Most likely"...that is (or should be) a problem for the reporter.

Pretty good trolling here. But, sure, when Big Jelly goes in, I'm nervous.
Yeah sure, I'm the one trolling. Not the guy who thinks white guys are better at bball than black guys. The NBA is full of honkies isn't it? I forgot you're also the guy who says white guys are better cornerbacks too.

@markfromj
Here's the discription of Club Q per the googles:

Adult-oriented gay & lesbian nightclub hosting theme nights such as karaoke, drag shows & DJs.
Service options: Dine-in · Takeout · Delivery

Address: 3430 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80917

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 4PM Wed

Phone: (719) 570-1429

giphy.gif

• Sad
Reactions: EasyHawk
Is have the same issue with that as I do here. While it’s likely for us to assume, the news shouldn’t speculate motive. But, oh well
Most on here would agree. The "other guy", though is upset because the news called it a gay bar. He feels it should have been reported as just a bar. Had the news done that, though, they'd have been accused of trying to hide a well known fact. Probably would have been labeled a conservative news outlet.

Reactions: TennNole17
Is have the same issue with that as I do here. While it’s likely for us to assume, the news shouldn’t speculate motive. But, oh well
They are reporting facts. It IS a gay bar. No one has reported his motive yet. People have speculated, but if it's being reported it's reported as speculation.

Reactions: Huey Grey
They are reporting facts. It IS a gay bar. No one has reported his motive yet. People have speculated, but if it's being reported it's reported as speculation.
I don’t have an issue with then identifying it as a gay bar- that’s another poster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT