ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Portal Targets (confirmed contacts)

That's weird, I've now seen guard and power forward. I like the looks of his athleticism, defense rebounding and passing.

If you do all that stuff you can find a role.

Honestly, the motion of his 3pt shot isn't bad, kind of a Paul George look.
The biggest boost to his offensive game is going to be simply not being on a god-awful Manhattan team where he was used as the primary option to both create and score as a freshman. I'm pretty sure that's why so many places list him as a guard because Manhattan basically would just give him the ball on the perimeter and say "do something". Iowa's system is going to get him much more open looks and catch + shoot opportunities. Not to mention, Traore is going to absolutely feast in transition ball here at Iowa.
Obviously, in this era it's hard to look at anything other than as a year-to-year basis, but IF Traore is here for even 2 years then this has real potential to be a very fun junior season of Brock, Freeman, Pryce, Ladji and Traore--there's a ton of upside in that class.

Thanks for the info. Is he really a guard? Seems more like a forward, even a small PF, to me, since he isn't a great shooter and is an excellent rebounder. Either way, Fran has added another physical, athletic player, and this team could have a different personality than past teams.

Seydou Traore (6'7, 215 lbs) stats last season:

28 games played
32.3 min
43.3 FG%
25.6% from 3 (23-90)

80% FTs (44-55)

11.8 pts, 8.2 Rebs, 2.3 assts, 1.5 steals, 1.3 blocks

Reactions: Wadukester
I haven't seen an official announcement of Seydou committing and signing yet. Did I miss that? I'd hate to get excited about his addition (and I think there's much to be excited about with him) only to learn later he's committed elsewhere.

I haven't seen an official announcement of Seydou committing and signing yet. Did I miss that? I'd hate to get excited about his addition (and I think there's much to be excited about with him) only to learn later he's committed elsewhere.
accident fail GIF

Any chances of Iowa taking anyone else from the portal. Think another serviceable big man to back up Freeman would be good. Did not see much from Brauns to convince me he can play at BIG level. And of course Mulvey is a non factor.

Any chances of Iowa taking anyone else from the portal. Think another serviceable big man to back up Freeman would be good. Did not see much from Brauns to convince me he can play at BIG level. And of course Mulvey is a non factor.
I don’t see any way they bring in another big, unless someone leaves. If Brauns and Mulvey aren’t able to contribute, I assume they’ll use Dembele as the backup 5,

There’s one scholarship left and there is a far greater need for depth in the backcourt.

The portal is still open to get commitments and in some places the portal is still open as you have 30 days after a coaching change to enter the portal, it just closed for entry for normal entries May 1. Also I believe we just ended a quiet period or are about to enter a quiet period for recruiting. We may still add someone for depth just may not be exactly impact since most of the roster is kind of set outside of the depth guard that I agree we do need but i want to give it a few more weeks until i say the staff is done looking as it is has been very quiet until the visits happens with who we are targeting.

Reactions: skydog0784
With the lack of funds to pay players, perhaps Iowa should move to a system where the top 8 players get paid well and the bottom 4 just get your traditional scholarship.
Agreed. We are potentially wasting a lot of resources with the “everyone earns an equal stipend” approach we have with the Collective side of Swarm. (Which is where all the donations go.)

Reactions: SI_NYC
Seems like a stupid decision
I don’t get the consternation. We have 3 guys who can play point including Dix, and 2 are pure point guards. The 2nd guard can be filled by both Sandforts. Maybe even Koch, I’m not sure.

I think Pryce is a better athlete and better defender than his brother (I know, not saying much), with another year of training I think he will be able to defend most guards.

I don’t get the consternation. We have 3 guys who can play point including Dix, and 2 are pure point guards. The 2nd guard can be filled by both Sandforts. Maybe even Koch, I’m not sure.

I think Pryce is a better athlete and better defender than his brother (I know, not saying much), with another year of training I think he will be able to defend most guards.
I hope Fran doesn't listen to you. If one of our 3 guards is unable to play, Iowa is going to be in deep poop. I can see Pryce for a few minutes at SG, but Payton can't even stay in front of many forwards. Dix is not a PG, and using him there detracts from what he brings to the court.

Reactions: jasonrann
I hope Fran doesn't listen to you. If one of our 3 guards is unable to play, Iowa is going to be in deep poop. I can see Pryce for a few minutes at SG, but Payton can't even stay in front of many forwards. Dix is not a PG, and using him there detracts from what he brings to the court.

We’re going to disagree on Dix. He’s the classic combo guard, like Perkins. He’s an excellent ball handler and has a little dribble drive game as well as a killer pull up. The more the ball is in his hands, the better we are. But even if one of the points goes down, he would only get 10 minutes a game at point. I’d say we are in better shape at point than most years. The 2 guard really is no different than the 3 or 4 position in Fran’s world.

We’re going to disagree on Dix. He’s the classic combo guard, like Perkins. He’s an excellent ball handler and has a little dribble drive game as well as a killer pull up. The more the ball is in his hands, the better we are. But even if one of the points goes down, he would only get 10 minutes a game at point. I’d say we are in better shape at point than most years. The 2 guard really is no different than the 3 or 4 position in Fran’s world.
Dix was a real offensive weapon later in the season, and has an excellent pull-up jump shot after a couple of dribbles; however, to say "He's an excellent ball handler" seems a stretch. "The more the ball is in his hands, the better we are" as you stated above is overstated if you are saying he plays the PG well. The Iowa State game early in the season exposed him on that. His strength later in the season was from off guard.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT