ADVERTISEMENT

MBB Portal Targets (confirmed contacts)

I know he's alumni, but is he a sports fan and interested in committing million$ to the Hawkeyes cause? Is he even a season ticket holder? That sure would be nice.

*Fun Fact: Believe it or not, I'm actually typing this reply from my Gateway laptop.
Yes, he attends football games once in awhile. He actually offered to put up $10 million a few years ago for a college football 4 team playoff. I think he even considered buying an NFL team at one point. Not sure if he's a basketball fan though.

Yes, he attends football games once in awhile. He actually offered to put up $10 million a few years ago for a college football 4 team playoff. I think he even considered buying an NFL team at one point. Not sure if he's a basketball fan though.
GREAT!

See, this is the type of booster Iowa will have to rely on.

Oregon and Arkansas and others have a sugar daddy, and that's what Iowa needs too.

Your standard (i.e. non-millionaire/billionaire) 'Bama, Buckeye or Jayhawk fan is still willing to max out their credit card and commit multiple thousands of dollars to their school every year in order to have bragg'n rights on the field or on the court....but not at Iowa. The current SWARM membership number attests to that.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Ashton Kutcher has that scientology mon

GREAT!

See, this is the type of booster Iowa will have to rely on.

Oregon and Arkansas and others have a sugar daddy, and that's what Iowa needs too.

Your standard (i.e. non-millionaire/billionaire) 'Bama, Buckeye or Jayhawk fan is still willing to max out their credit card and commit multiple thousands of dollars to their school every year in order to have bragg'n rights on the field or on the court....but not at Iowa. The current SWARM membership number attests to that.
It was actually over $30 million offer back in 2004.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-jan-09-fi-gateway9-story.html

You guys are losing it, 2 more celebrities' you're forgetting.
Tom Arnold worth supposedly 20 million and Zach Johnson a big Iowa Hawkeye fan worth supposedly 35 million. Maybe they already donate...

Another 4 with 3 more years left who averaged 4 points last year.

This one makes much less sense than Cross.
Lot's of upside--he was ranked as a top-40 prospect last year and the FIBA tape from worlds last year was really good. Obviously UCLA was kind of a dumpster fire for most of the year so it didn't work out this season.

Lot's of upside--he was ranked as a top-40 prospect last year and the FIBA tape from worlds last year was really good. Obviously UCLA was kind of a dumpster fire for most of the year so it didn't work out this season.
It's not the player I don't get it's the roster make up.

Fran talks up Koch and Tadjo then goes and offers a guy who plays their position and would overlap 3 years.

You guys are losing it, 2 more celebrities' you're forgetting.
Tom Arnold worth supposedly 20 million and Zach Johnson a big Iowa Hawkeye fan worth supposedly 35 million. Maybe they already donate...

maybe they do donate, but not the big bucks in order to land players wanting $400,000 or more per year

It's not the player I don't get it's the roster make up.

Fran talks up Koch and Tadjo then goes and offers a guy who plays their position and would overlap 3 years.
He can like both of those guys a lot--but this is big boy college basketball where winning matters. Freshmen playing serious minutes (especially non-5 stars) usually doesn't mean that there is winning basketball taking place. It can, obviously. And we saw a freshman step up in a huge way last year with Freeman. But ideally, freshmen are brought along slowly in like a 5-10 minute per game role.

And let's be honest, rosters in CBB nowadays are just a year-to-year thing. Having someone commit to playing for 3+ years is kind of hard to envision anyways. Iowa does better than most at roster retention, but we still see 2 or 3 departures every year. The coaching staff should not be making decisions based off of what guys may do in 2 years time--they should try and build the best roster they can for next year and go from there next offseason.

maybe they do donate, but not the big bucks in order to land players wanting $400,000 or more per year
How about the cheap tavern Hawks who use the word “we” every time when talking about the Hawkeyes step up and donate.

He can like both of those guys a lot--but this is big boy college basketball where winning matters. Freshmen playing serious minutes (especially non-5 stars) usually doesn't mean that there is winning basketball taking place. It can, obviously. And we saw a freshman step up in a huge way last year with Freeman. But ideally, freshmen are brought along slowly in like a 5-10 minute per game role.

And let's be honest, rosters in CBB nowadays are just a year-to-year thing. Having someone commit to playing for 3+ years is kind of hard to envision anyways. Iowa does better than most at roster retention, but we still see 2 or 3 departures every year. The coaching staff should not be making decisions based off of what guys may do in 2 years time--they should try and build the best roster they can for next year and go from there next offseason.

Precisely. A program like Iowa cannot afford to pass on top 40 talent. And it’s really difficult to project a roster 2-3 years out. Besides, Koch and Tadjo have completely different skill sets, I’m not sure where this guy fits in between those two, but we lose Sandfort and quite possibly Dix after next year. We need depth.

The point was roster make up not which one gets to play.

Potentially having more power forwards on your roster than total number of guards seems totally backwards.

Reactions: Bierhalter

I think we need another guard more. Buyu... seems to be more of a 4/5 player (6-9 and 245), like Dembele, while Koch is a 3/4 and I'm still not sure what position Tadjo will play. If he has a lot of upside, I doubt that Iowa will have what it takes to outbid the competition for his services.

The point was roster make up not which one gets to play.

Potentially having more power forwards on your roster than total number of guards seems totally backwards.
I also don't even disagree with you on that point--I thought all last year that they should be bringing in a 2024 guard or two for the class.

That said, in basketball you need to build a roster in which you have realistically 8 or 9 guys who see meaningful minutes and realistically a starting 3 or 4 (depending on how you want to view Payton) significantly improves the roster over a backup guard. This is especially compounded by the chance that Payton may decide to stay in the draft--if he does then they would really look dumb for not heavily pursuing the potential starting forward even more.

Smart kid from Minnesota. This kid screams that Fran thinks Sandfort is staying in the draft.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think history has shown that Fran will take as many of these type of players as he can get get.

Unfortunately, I think this more likely shows that Fran is willing to play Payton and Pryce some minutes at the 2 if he has to
Or that he'd even prefer to do that.

Fran will put Dix at the 1 if he can find an excuse to.

Smart kid from Minnesota. This kid screams that Fran thinks Sandfort is staying in the draft.
I think you need to have a plan for it in case he does, even if Fran is 60/40 on him returning it would be dumb to not have any plan.

I also think that if Iowa can't land a 4, but lands a 3 & Payton returns then Fran will just start Payton at the 4.

I think you need to have a plan for it in case he does, even if Fran is 60/40 on him returning it would be dumb to not have any plan.

I also think that if Iowa can't land a 4, but lands a 3 & Payton returns then Fran will just start Payton at the 4.
I agree with having a back up plan if Payton stays in the draft. Hayes definitely has a nice looking shot. If Payton returns, I hope we aren't seeing him at 4, except for brief spurts, because it will mean that Fran doesn't have confidence in Dembele starting, or that he is delegating him to be Freeman's backup. It also will mean that Fran thinks the two freshmen aren't ready for significant minutes. He has been slow to give meaningful minutes to freshmen.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
PG-SG-CG

Frustrated Over It GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

I know he's alumni, but is he a sports fan and interested in committing million$ to the Hawkeyes cause? Is he even a season ticket holder? That sure would be nice.

*Fun Fact: Believe it or not, I'm actually typing this reply from my Gateway laptop.
I've partied at his bus before, he is definitely a fan. Interested in committing millions, not likely.

What are the confirmed contacts that haven’t made up their mind yet.
Hayes
Berke
Schutt

Didn’t Iowa look at Patrick Bath coming out of High School. I see he’s transferring out of Drake. Think he went there as a walk on though not sure. Didn’t get any playing time there last year as a freshmen. Might still be to slight. Was listed as 6-9 210. But who knows how accurately those weight numbers are.

Didn’t Iowa look at Patrick Bath coming out of High School. I see he’s transferring out of Drake. Think he went there as a walk on though not sure. Didn’t get any playing time there last year as a freshmen. Might still be to slight. Was listed as 6-9 210. But who knows how accurately those weight numbers are.
He's PMac size

I know nothing about Bath, but we don't need another tall dude who will get pushed around under the basket, or sit on the bench. Not sure what portal targets are still on the table. Another guard for depth is the highest priority IMO, although an experienced big who can guard the basket and rebound would be a nice insurance policy, in case Dembele or the freshmen aren't ready for significant minutes. If Payton is gone a 2/3 wing would be a great option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT