ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Freestyle Day One

Silver sucks.

Takahashi was amazing defending and countering Gilman. I see why he beat Higuchi.

Takahashi looked really tough. Looked just as strong as Gilman and equally well conditioned. Also, his leg attack defense was super strong.

Didn't really see a thing you could knock Gilman for. He simply lost to a really tough, extremely well prepared opponent.

Hats off to Gilman. A World Silver Medal is an incredible accomplishment on his first try!

Taka had a pair of 2 pt scores: a take down and a caution in the 1st. Gilman was aggressive in the second and there was a takedown attempt from TG that turned into a side headlock position that Gilman wound up on the wrong end of. That exchange could have been scored differently, idk.

Like several others on this thread, I was following the live updates on trackwrestling and was ecstatic that he was leading...then I checked twitter and realized the points were being awarded to the wrong wrestler.

Reactions: Huck
Gilman single - Takahashi sprawl and spin gets to a leg - drives him out of bounds and Gilman hit with caution and 2

Gilman Single off an elbow pass - Takahashi squared up, caught an ankle for two

Gilman Single - Takahashi GREAT in the sprawl and chest wrap. Gilman splits the middle, brings Takahashi's legs up turns in to try to get exposure and SOMEHOW Takahashi squares up, faces Gilman both fall to their hips and Takahashi ends up on top.

The athleticism and timing Takahashi displayed were amazing.

Takahashi looked really tough. Looked just as strong as Gilman and equally well conditioned. Also, his leg attack defense was super strong.

Didn't really see a thing you could knock Gilman for. He simply lost to a really tough, extremely well prepared opponent.

Hats off to Gilman. A World Silver Medal is an incredible accomplishment on his first try!
As soon as i saw Takahashi run out I thought he looked strong as an ox. He showed it. Not many 125lb people who can move gilman around like he did.

Gilman single - Takahashi sprawl and spin gets to a leg - drives him out of bounds and Gilman hit with caution and 2

Gilman Single - Takahashi GREAT in the sprawl and chest wrap. Gilman splits the middle, brings Takahashi's legs up turns in to try to get exposure and SOMEHOW Takahashi squares up, faces Gilman both fall to their hips and Takahashi ends up on top.

I wasn't able to watch. Are you saying that all of Takahashi's points were scored off of counters to Gilman's offensive attempts?

Gilman can beat that guy....these japs are pretty pretty good.....frustrating match for Thomas I'm sure....a silver at worlds is an impressive accomplishment for a kid that young...gawd you feel bad for the guy to come up just that short again...Ive been up since 3am watching wrestling....days shot anyway I'm thinking I'm gonna get into the whiskey a bit

Reactions: bman546
I wasn't able to watch. Are you saying that all of Takahashi's points were scored off of counters to Gilman's offensive attempts?

Yes. Caution and 2 was shit. Gilman didn't lose the match for lack of aggression...maybe a little bit too aggressive. Japan's hips were crazy tough to score on. But yea, he had quick reattacks

Yep. It's probably why he beat Higuchi. He defended Gilman's single three different ways -

Head Block and Spin (Gilman never touched his legs)

Straight Sprawl (Put Gilman on his belly)

Chest Lock (When Gilman did get to his knees, Takahashi kept his head pinched on a chest wrap)

Just a great feel for defending singles.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Yes. Caution and 2 was shit. Gilman didn't lose the match for lack of aggression...maybe a little bit too aggressive. Japan's hips were crazy tough to score on. But yea, he had quick reattacks

It was. He was being driven out. I didn't understand that at all. But then Takahashi jumps out of a single.

Which reminds me. FOURTH way he defended Gilman's single. Limp leg/jump. It was beautiful, I'll say that.

I got pinned by a Japanese wrestler at 55k last year...head and arm. He was crazy strong; man strength as they say.

It was. He was being driven out. I didn't understand that at all. But then Takahashi jumps out of a single.

Which reminds me. FOURTH way he defended Gilman's single. Limp leg/jump. It was beautiful, I'll say that.

He ran out of that sucker quick. Gilman can beat him, but kid is so solid.

Reactions: natchrlman

that about sums it up....The first two points by the Japanese wrestler were on his own offense the rest were counters....seemed like Gilman kinda panicked after he got behind and fell into a trap...the japanese guy is very good at countering shots....Thomas kinda played into his strengths....dissapointing....Frustrating match but Gilman was not out classed by any means....this level of international wrestling....man these guys are savvy....lot more involved than physical talent....that match Cox lost was another example....think its just our youth....future is bright....again I wish we would have our kids wrestling freestyle from the beginning.....high school and college

Reactions: TarpHawk
Who thinks the main beneficiaries of real drug testing and short rest periods between matches are the US and countries like Japan and other non- Eastern Bloc countries? If the UWW keeps up with real testing, I have the feeling our national teams will have a real renaissance.

Folkstyle is really killing us, isn't it ;):rolleyes:

Great job by Gilman. Hopefully my boy Zain gets a good result tomorrow

ANYWHO, Cox with another Bronze medal. Anyone know what he said to the camera? The announcers made it sound like he was talking to DT.

ANYWHO, Cox with another Bronze medal. Anyone know what he said to the camera? The announcers made it sound like he was talking to DT.
That was my take. Something to the effect, "What's up now David?" Surprised he's aware of twitter events on a day like today.

hes a competitor....sometimes the drive to compete can cloud judgement....can you imagine being in his shoes and having to watch this tournament instead of competing?
Agree. I'm cutting him a break, didn't even strike me as sour grapes. Sounded like a guy caught up in the moment who actually wanted Cox to win. Cox has a thick skin, I doubt he gives a rat's ass. But I liked KJ's tweet defending him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT