ADVERTISEMENT

Minny, put in Garza!

I don’t watch any g-league. Are the athletes at that level just that bad? That’s supposed to be the reason he can’t make it at the top level. How can he be so dominant over guys that are supposed to be just outside of the NBA and struggle to get anything other than garbage time on an NBA team? I understand why he isn’t getting NBA minutes when you see him struggle to guard today’s players. But it is mind blowing that he just destroys everyone while in Des Moines.
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I believe there is a G League kid that is supposed to be a Lottery pick in the upcoming draft. You'd have to look but I'm pretty sure that is the case. Not sure how the G League works, how NBA contracts work, and again I did not stay at a Holiday Inn.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I believe there is a G League kid that is supposed to be a Lottery pick in the upcoming draft. You'd have to look but I'm pretty sure that is the case. Not sure how the G League works, how NBA contracts work, and again I did not stay at a Holiday Inn.

His name is Scoot!

The T Wolves have quite an arsenal of Centers:
Gobert
KAT
Naz
Luka

CROWDED
Wolves just took a big blow though. Naz is likely done for the year with a wrist injury. He was averaging over 20ppg off the bench the last 5 or so games.
If luka was better on defense he for sure would be playing more but he’s a bit of a liability on that end. We all know what he can do on offense.

I know, the nba doesn’t play defense but if you actually watch a game, you can see that they do.

It was announced this afternoon that Luka will return to the Timberwolves as one of the 3 two-way roster slots the Wolves have this season. That number is up from 2 in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Garza now appears to be the clear #4 center behind Karl-Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert and Naz Reid.

The story:

Luka Garza returning to the Timberwolves on a two-way contract

The former Naismith Award Winner at Iowa put up big numbers in the G-League last season.

By Chris Hine
Minneapolis Star Tribune

JULY 2, 2023 — 3:06PM

08_25UWOM030623.JPG

Timberwolves center Luka Garza shared a laugh with University of Iowa mascot Herky the Hawk before the Big Ten women’s basketball championship game on March 5 at Target Center.

Center Luka Garza will be back with the Timberwolves next season.

Garza agreed to another two-way contract with the Wolves on Sunday, a source confirmed. Even among a crowded depth chart at center last season, Garza showed flashes of promise on the offensive end when he earned minutes in the NBA, and he put up big numbers in the G League at Iowa.

With the Wolves, Garza, the former Big Ten Player of the Year and Naismith Award winner with the Iowa Hawkeyes, averaged 6.5 points on 8.7 minutes per game while shooting 54% from the floor. In the G League, he averaged 29.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game with the Iowa Wolves last season.

He was the MVP of the G-League's "Next Up" game at All-Star Weekend, in a game that featured Scoot Henderson of Portland, the No. 3 pick of this year's draft.

Garza was a camp signee last season and impressed coaches enough to earn a two-way roster spot last season, and he will return as one of the three two-way roster slots the Wolves have this season. That number is up from two in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Garza was battling for playing time in a crowded center depth chart behind Karl-Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, Naz Reid and Nathan Knight. The Wolves declined to guarantee Knight's contract for next season and he became a free agent, meaning Garza now appears to be the clear No. 4 center center behind Towns, Gobert and Reid.

Chris Hine is the Timberwolves reporter at the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

chris.hine@startribune.com
612-673-4023
Twitter: ChristopherHine

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Hawksfor3
I’m still hopeful the wolves can trade KAT for a point guard and open up a bit of front court depth for Garza to sign a full NBA contract.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Luka needs to put in another year in the NBA. If it doesn’t work out, make hay in Europe.

It was announced this afternoon that Luka will return to the Timberwolves as one of the 3 two-way roster slots the Wolves have this season. That number is up from 2 in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Garza now appears to be the clear #4 center behind Karl-Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert and Naz Reid.

The story:

Luka Garza returning to the Timberwolves on a two-way contract

The former Naismith Award Winner at Iowa put up big numbers in the G-League last season.

By Chris Hine
Minneapolis Star Tribune

JULY 2, 2023 — 3:06PM

08_25UWOM030623.JPG

Timberwolves center Luka Garza shared a laugh with University of Iowa mascot Herky the Hawk before the Big Ten women’s basketball championship game on March 5 at Target Center.

Center Luka Garza will be back with the Timberwolves next season.

Garza agreed to another two-way contract with the Wolves on Sunday, a source confirmed. Even among a crowded depth chart at center last season, Garza showed flashes of promise on the offensive end when he earned minutes in the NBA, and he put up big numbers in the G League at Iowa.

With the Wolves, Garza, the former Big Ten Player of the Year and Naismith Award winner with the Iowa Hawkeyes, averaged 6.5 points on 8.7 minutes per game while shooting 54% from the floor. In the G League, he averaged 29.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game with the Iowa Wolves last season.

He was the MVP of the G-League's "Next Up" game at All-Star Weekend, in a game that featured Scoot Henderson of Portland, the No. 3 pick of this year's draft.

Garza was a camp signee last season and impressed coaches enough to earn a two-way roster spot last season, and he will return as one of the three two-way roster slots the Wolves have this season. That number is up from two in the new collective bargaining agreement.

Garza was battling for playing time in a crowded center depth chart behind Karl-Anthony Towns, Rudy Gobert, Naz Reid and Nathan Knight. The Wolves declined to guarantee Knight's contract for next season and he became a free agent, meaning Garza now appears to be the clear No. 4 center center behind Towns, Gobert and Reid.

Chris Hine is the Timberwolves reporter at the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

chris.hine@startribune.com
612-673-4023
Twitter: ChristopherHine

Man, I hope he lands a roster spot soon. He's certainly put in the work.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Is he playing in summer league again?

Does not appear so

Man, I hope he lands a roster spot soon. He's certainly put in the work.

Is that good or bad?

Good, or at least not bad.

Luka is locked in to a 2 way contract; so, that's good, I guess. ;)

The minimum NBA 2 way contract salary for the 2022-23 season was $508,891.

I knew that, I was just wondering if he NEEDED to play in the summer league. I'm guessing they kind of know what they are getting at this point.

2023-2024 salaries of the Wolves' other 3 centers:

$36,016,200
.......Karl-Anthony Towns
$41,000,000......Rudy Gobert
$12,950,400........Naz Reid

The definition of a man that has maxed out his physical potential. But this video shows his limitations. In the early ladder and hurdle drills you can see how he has to pause on a change of direction. It is very quick, but compared to the elite athletes he’s going against it is enough to hurt him on defense when trying to react. Having said that, nobody will out work him and he has all of the moves on offense. There’s a reason the fans love him. Hopefully he sticks several more seasons.

The definition of a man that has maxed out his physical potential. But this video shows his limitations. In the early ladder and hurdle drills you can see how he has to pause on a change of direction. It is very quick, but compared to the elite athletes he’s going against it is enough to hurt him on defense when trying to react. Having said that, nobody will out work him and he has all of the moves on offense. There’s a reason the fans love him. Hopefully he sticks several more seasons.

He's a favorite, because you know he is working to get 100% out of the physical gifts that he has been given. You know he isn't wasting his chance at the NBA. The dude will flat out GRIND to gain that final percentage that his body can give.... even if there is just a SINGLE percentage to gain in his performance.

I'd assume he's working his a$$ off on the mental side of bball too. Like you see in football ALL the time. Guys that aren't the absolute fastest/quickest on Defense can be studs because the are football fast and just anticipate plays so well.

He'll never be able to defend the way you need to to play major minutes but you have to love how hard he's trying to overcome his limitations. Its impressive.

I do think he's going to hang on now for a nice stretch.

If he could get on with a team that plays some zone like Miami he could be a bigger contributer.

What did Kevin McHale have that Luka doesn't? Seems like they were cut from the same mold.
He played in an era way before athleticism took over the game.
Garza would have been a force 25-30 years ago. At least on the offensive side of the ball.

He played in an era way before athleticism took over the game.
Garza would have been a force 25-30 years ago. At least on the offensive side of the ball.
Before 3pt shooting took over.

There was plenty of athleticism back then, but the floor spacing was totally different and that comes from so many guys on the court together that can shoot. Bigs didn't have to defend on the perimeter back then.

Kevin McHale would eat any modern big for lunch on the block regardless of athleticism.

What did Kevin McHale have that Luka doesn't? Seems like they were cut from the same mold.
I think the main difference is they simply played in a different era. Garza likely would have been even more effective in the “old school” NBA.

I think the main difference is they simply played in a different era. Garza likely would have been even more effective in the “old school” NBA.
Look I'm as big a Garza fan as anyone but it's ridiculous to say what he would/could have been in the NBA back in the day. Different eras just don't translate that easily.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT