ADVERTISEMENT

MMA fans Greg Hardy

Pretty much. But he could get beaten. He's definitely not good. Shouldn't be anywhere near a UFC octagon at this point in his career.
His interview with n ESPN certainly didn't help his cause of deserving to be there.

That’s one of the first things they teach in mma. Don’t knee downed opponents in the face. Hardy knew. He knew he was getting blown the fvck out in the second round and like all women beaters, he wanted an easy way out

Reactions: BelemNole
Any chance he gets his ass kicked tonight?
Hijacking. We watched the duke/va game, because we are Zion fans. Great back and forth game. They kept teasing the UFC during it. My son wanted to get ESPN+ to watch. I said nah. So after he game we started watching the prelim under card. I have never watched a single UFC bout before. I was entertained. I remembered we already had ESPN+ for the 30 for 30s and some hawk games. We watched the whole fight night. It got a bit long they could have eliminated a few fights for our taste but overall we are hooked. I imagine my csb isn’t the only one like it. The duke/va lead in and product pushing during it must have made Dana white very happy.

Hijacking. We watched the duke/va game, because we are Zion fans. Great back and forth game. They kept teasing the UFC during it. My son wanted to get ESPN+ to watch. I said nah. So after he game we started watching the prelim under card. I have never watched a single UFC bout before. I was entertained. I remembered we already had ESPN+ for the 30 for 30s and some hawk games. We watched the whole fight night. It got a bit long they could have eliminated a few fights for our taste but overall we are hooked. I imagine my csb isn’t the only one like it. The duke/va lead in and product pushing during it must have made Dana white very happy.

I hope there are many more stories like this that come out of the new contract with ESPN.

As for Hardy...he will get another shot, heavyweight needs fighters and he is still very green. The illegal knee was not a strike out of malice IMO, he was caught in the moment and needs to learn control in there. Having said that...he's a POS for putting his hands on a woman, and I can't wait for a top 10 HW to knock him out.

I hope there are many more stories like this that come out of the new contract with ESPN.

As for Hardy...he will get another shot, heavyweight needs fighters and he is still very green. The illegal knee was not a strike out of malice IMO, he was caught in the moment and needs to learn control in there. Having said that...he's a POS for putting his hands on a woman, and I can't wait for a top 10 HW to knock him out.
Just from a pure entertainment value they should emphasize points for striking and somehow minimize wrestling. If I wanted to watch wrestling I’d watch wrestling. The wrestling heavy matches/rounds were boring to us. Case in point were the Gillespie and benevidez matches. I am sure they were technically brilliant but they were ho hum to us. We were most entertained by the cerrine, menifeld, and sandhagen fights. We were looking forward to the hardy match and were confused at why they stopped it, not knowing the rules. Made sense in retrospect but seeing how jumping and kneeing someone in the face mid flight while the opponent is flat footed is okay we assumed it was okay on the ground too. We weren’t sure how to feel about the women. Not into seeing women hit each other. We liked Paige vanzant for heterosexual male reasons but did not like seeing her opponent tap out with an arm injury. Overall an entertaining evening with time spent with my 14-year old son, which is harder and harder to come by...

Reactions: Daggerfoot
Just from a pure entertainment value they should emphasize points for striking and somehow minimize wrestling. They do to some degree with performance bonuses and the overall judging which scores higher for damage than they do overall control. If I wanted to watch wrestling I’d watch wrestling. The wrestling heavy matches/rounds were boring to us. Case in point were the Gillespie and benevidez matches. I am sure they were technically brilliant but they were ho hum to us. Dana White doesn't like the guys that "lay and pray" either...he generally commends the action fighters. Having said that, understanding the intricacies of the Jiu Jitsu and MMA wresting (different than pure wrestling) techniques will enhance your experience. We were most entertained by the cerrine, menifeld, and sandhagen fights. Great fights...Cerrone is a treasure, Sandhagen is a future contender/champion. We were looking forward to the hardy match and were confused at why they stopped it, not knowing the rules. Made sense in retrospect but seeing how jumping and kneeing someone in the face mid flight while the opponent is flat footed is okay we assumed it was okay on the ground too. The rule is designed to protect the fighter...if you are standing you can protect yourself, if you are grounded you are significantly more exposed. We weren’t sure how to feel about the women. Not into seeing women hit each other. We liked Paige vanzant for heterosexual male reasons but did not like seeing her opponent tap out with an arm injury. Both of my teenage daughters (no pics) are Muay Thai fighters...they are very experienced for their ages and I feel that all girls/women should learn to protect themselves. My girls do not compete outside of sparing, but women MMA athletes that want to compete should absolutely be allowed to do so. Overall an entertaining evening with time spent with my 14-year old son, which is harder and harder to come by...So happy you enjoyed the fights and time with your son...hang around, it's a great sport that gets better and better the more you learn about it. Hell, take your son to a gym and let him hit some pads, there is never any striking to the head for beginners/teenagers. Most gyms offer a free first class or two...and the two of you can workout at home with a minimal investment of gloves and some Thai pads. It has enhanced our lives greatly, and is something I really look forward to doing with my girls.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Are there any striker non-savant wrestlers that dominate? It would seem the best punchers in the world wouldn’t stand a chance once a medal-winning Olympian wrestler has him on the mat. Effective so apparently the best way to fight but not as entertaining to watch...

Are there any striker non-savant wrestlers that dominate? It would seem the best punchers in the world wouldn’t stand a chance once a medal-winning Olympian wrestler has him on the mat. Effective so apparently the best way to fight but not as entertaining to watch...

Cejudo won Olympic Gold in wrestling...but the fact is the era of one dimensional fighters ended about 10 years ago. Every round starts on the feet, so you need to at least have good enough striking to set up your takedowns. Having said that...UFC fighter and Olympian Ben Askren dominates people with his wrestling. He rarely gets hit and has never lost an MMA match, but he is probably the one remaining exception. They are few and far between these days as the MMA game is evolving and the techniques of reverse wrestling and takedown defense cancel out even the best pure wrestlers. Also, wrestlers aren't comfortable on their backs...whereas Jiu-Jitsu fighters will welcome you to be on top in their guard...many BJJ guys are far more dangerous on their backs than they are on their feet. Daniel Cormier who is the current HW champion (also an Olympic wrestler) is another good example of someone who came in as mostly a wrestler, but evolved to become an even a more dominant fighter with his advancements in striking.

TL;DR...you can't be just a wrestler in MMA anymore. You can be a wrestle heavy fighter, but in this day and age...you need to be a complete martial artist to be top 10.

Last edited:
After you start watching for awhile, I'd guess you'll come to appreciate the ground game a lot more. Don't get me wrong, someone lay & praying their opponent is never fun to watch but if you get a couple slick bjj guys, seeing them go for submissions and counters and set things up is pretty cool.

Reactions: Daggerfoot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT