ADVERTISEMENT

Mulvey

amahawk

HR Heisman
May 1, 2002
Iowa seems to be looking for Bigs in the portal. Is Mulvey a forgotten man?

I think Mulvey is a year away from being at the level we need him to be for a safe NCAA tournament run. Long term his work ethic and skill set look positive, but the cupboard is a bit bare ahead of him and behind him as far as true 5's go (Freeman is more of a 4 who can play 5, like Rebraca).

He lacked strength this year, which will help him next year, but still needs to improve on offense to provide the threat in Fran's scheme that we would want. Hard to say just how high his ceiling is, but for this season we definitely could use a 1 year or 2 year transfer.

He’s got the tools but remember he reclassified so he’s still got growing to do. If we can get a stop-gap transfer to fill the void, great. Don’t think it’s a reflection of him or Rebraca. We just need some bulk.
He reclassified because he was held back a year--he'll be 20 by the time the season rolls around. He is not a young sophomore by any means. I kept seeing fans say he was 17 throughout the year and I'm not sure where that myth started--he was a 19 year old freshman.

He reclassified because he was held back a year--he'll be 20 by the time the season rolls around. He is not a young sophomore by any means. I kept seeing fans say he was 17 throughout the year and I'm not sure where that myth started--he was a 19 year old freshman.
Interesting. Didn’t know that. I stand corrected.

Still think he has the tools but he’s still developing.

Just to clarify further what you posted, he's exactly the "normal" age for his current class. He actually reclassified twice - once to do an extra year in prep school (similar to the Murray twins) then he reclassified back to his "normal" class. So just to clarify, he's not old for his class - most freshmen turn 19 their freshman year. He just seems young. :)

Interesting. Didn’t know that. I stand corrected.

Still think he has the tools but he’s still developing.
I agree with this. He seems to have an innate ability to block shots (being tall and long helps!;)) He also seems to be a willing and decent rebounder. I hope he works his way into more minutes because Iowa will need someone like him, at least in certain situations.

Just to clarify further what you posted, he's exactly the "normal" age for his current class. He actually reclassified twice - once to do an extra year in prep school (similar to the Murray twins) then he reclassified back to his "normal" class. So just to clarify, he's not old for his class - most freshmen turn 19 their freshman year. He just seems young. :)

He's actually younger than my twins were their FR year.

Reactions: BBHawk
Right, he's a normal age for his class is more or less what I was trying to say--some are 18 when they start their freshman year, some 19--but he's not young for his class by any means :). Thanks for the clarification.

That said, I'd love for Mulvey to get some playing time this year--having Rebraca and a transfer in front of him could be a difficult path but hopefully he will take a leap and be ready to compete.

He put on a lot of good weight his first year and played ok in mop up time. I think if he makes the same progress developing his body for another year he will be ready. Thank God he won’t have to defend Kofi.

I think this kid has a lot of potential.....in addition to his size/height he really runs pretty well and moves pretty well for a big kid. Strength and confidence are keys for all players and particularly for a kid like Riley.

It is kind of a conundrum about playing very limited minutes that first year or should a player redshirt and save that year? My guess is that varies by the individual. Some people learn a lot in limited minutes and it is a motivator to get to where they need to be......others, I think, don't need those few minutes and saving a year is a real benefit for them. That said, I wish college b-ball did what football does and allowed a kid to play a limited number without losing the year.

I think there's an outside chance, admittedly a long shot, that a guy like Riley could be a difference maker next year. That doesn't mean that he turns into Luka Garza junior.......just, can he play 10 to 15 minutes a game and play solid defense, rebound, and contribute on offense by getting some put backs or making some good assists? If he could play at that level for those limited minutes it could be a big deal for this next years team.

Absolutely was the right decision. He developed so much more than he would have with another year of high school. He is happy and Fran is happy with him. They are expecting big things from Riley as was evident from coach's comments at the recent bb banquet.
I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a good player. Has skills. Just needs his body to catch up. Is it this year? Who knows. But I would be he has at least 2 productive years at Iowa.

I think we still need at least 1 big. If not it could be a long season. 1 injury away from a really bad season!

So what you're saying is.................

National Championship!? :D

I like his makeup. Was nice to see him get thrown to the wolves late in the year. Didn't seem to shy away from anything. Tough to judge based on limited time but I hope he gets more burn this year. Hopefully he has a great offseason of coniditioning. Definitely would be nice to add another big because I'd prefer not to see Glue at the 4 or 5 at any point this season

I like his makeup. Was nice to see him get thrown to the wolves late in the year. Didn't seem to shy away from anything. Tough to judge based on limited time but I hope he gets more burn this year. Hopefully he has a great offseason of coniditioning. Definitely would be nice to add another big because I'd prefer not to see Glue at the 4 or 5 at any point this season
Agreed. He’s going to be stronger this year, but probably still a year away. Bring in one banger to pair with Rebraca. Get Mulvey in there for 10 -15 minutes/game.

As far as Glue….15 minutes at various positions depending on matchups and/or foul trouble. He can hold his own down low for 5 minute spurts. Same can be said guarding at the top of the zone. It’s good to have a Swiss Army knife type player on the team.

Agreed. He’s going to be stronger this year, but probably still a year away. Bring in one banger to pair with Rebraca. Get Mulvey in there for 10 -15 minutes/game.

As far as Glue….15 minutes at various positions depending on matchups and/or foul trouble. He can hold his own down low for 5 minute spurts. Same can be said guarding at the top of the zone. It’s good to have a Swiss Army knife type player on the team.
For what its worth, there should be no spurt because there is no reason he should be guarding giants down low at any point in the game... ever. When he does, and I agree he bodies-up okay, but it usually requires our defense to collapse which then leads to wide open threes. Very frustrating.

I agree though its good to have a swiss army knife type player, especially if that player isn't taking away minutes from better players.

For what its worth, there should be no spurt because there is no reason he should be guarding giants down low at any point in the game... ever. When he does, and I agree he bodies-up okay, but it usually requires our defense to collapse which then leads to wide open threes. Very frustrating.

I agree though its good to have a swiss army knife type player, especially if that player isn't taking away minutes from better players.
At least Kofi is gone….geesh. Most dudes aren’t nearly as physically imposing as he is. Connor can handle most PFs and some Cs. Dickinson, for example, is a big mismatch. That’s why getting a big is super important. You want to limit the time there are mismatches on the floor.

At least Kofi is gone….geesh. Most dudes aren’t nearly as physically imposing as he is. Connor can handle most PFs and some Cs. Dickinson, for example, is a big mismatch. That’s why getting a big is super important. You want to limit the time there are mismatches on the floor.
Dickinson was a mismatch for Luka, wasn't he? One of Luka's worst games of the year if I remember correctly. He's tough on everyone.

Riley does have some nice tools and he was a very accomplished shot blocker. He just needs to forget the three. He's classic low post and actually shoots sky hooks. But he's going to need to get stronger and more sophisticated in how he plays defense and rebounds; but his frame is enormous so you can see him gaining muscle weight and maybe some improved athleticism in the off season. He could blow up his junior season.

I like Mulvey’s potential. I thought he had better minutes than Josh O did last year. He will be a shot blocker that we haven’t had since Erek Hansen.
If we land Fardas Aimaq. He will back him up and should give us a solid 10 minutes. We can play Kris and Rebraca at the 4.
This is a big front court with 6’9 PMac and 6’7 Sandfort at the 3.

He did give some big minutes in a couple of games but was he a real factor during most of the season?
No, and the possible ongoing issue with his health made him problematic for Fran to count on him, which is why I think his leaving was a mutual decision.

Dickinson was a mismatch for Luka, wasn't he? One of Luka's worst games of the year if I remember correctly. He's tough on everyone.
I don't know if I'd call it a mismatch. He held Luka to 16 points while only scoring 14 himself. No Hawk played well in that game and we were held to 57 points.

Dominate HS kids or practice against and strength train with FBS players? Should not be a hard question to answer.
I don't think there is any question that he developed much quicker at Iowa than he would have at his high school.

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't know if I'd call it a mismatch. He held Luka to 16 points while only scoring 14 himself. No Hawk played well in that game and we were held to 57 points.
I watched the game and remember how frustrated Luka was. He held Luka to 6/19 (<32%) shooting. Dickenson was 6/13 and had 8 rbs to Luka's 4. Not a good game for Luka. Luka had hung 44 and 33 on MI the year before Dickenson arrived.

Did y’all not watch the big ten tournament? I think he got only 5-6 minutes. But my god those minutes looked like 40 because he was SO bad.

Slow, and moves and jumps like he has weights attached to his ankles. I find it hilarious folks think this kid will be solid & were okay with letting Big Jelly walk.

Did y’all not watch the big ten tournament? I think he got only 5-6 minutes. But my god those minutes looked like 40 because he was SO bad.

Slow, and moves and jumps like he has weights attached to his ankles. I find it hilarious folks think this kid will be solid & were okay with letting Big Jelly walk.
He wasn’t ready for prime time this year. But he got a year of development at a B1G vs dominating HS kids. And, since I’m a mind reader and know your next question, you’d have to ask him why he didn’t redshirt since it’s the player’s decision.

Reactions: perryhawk

Big Jelly will probably never be able to play more then a few minutes at a time. He made mention himself that doctors told him about a year ago he may never play again. We have no idea what thats about, but still revealing that he said that. That and what appears obvious that he and Fran mutually decided he should move on tells me that its unlikely he'll ever be a full time player at this level. Maybe we'll see him somewhere, but I kind of doubt it will be at a D1 school....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT