ADVERTISEMENT

My Ex emailing another coach....

HawkFantastic

HR Legend
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2001
Somewhere in Iowa
No pic. And not sorry.

Yet again, another baseball coach fails to see the greatness that is in my son as a player.

Best part is, she prefaces her emails with "I'm not normally this parent", or similar. Yeah, that helps.

I need her fingers to fall off. Either that or I need coaches to quit playing the better players.

No pic. And not sorry.

Yet again, another baseball coach fails to see the greatness that is in my son as a player.

Best part is, she prefaces her emails with "I'm not normally this parent", or similar. Yeah, that helps.

I need her fingers to fall off. Either that or I need coaches to quit playing the better players.

What?

She's not happy with is playing time or positions played. In other words she has a history of emailing coaches and bitching without realizing this catches up to the kid.

Is that better? Was I too cryptic?

She's not happy with is playing time or positions played. In other words she has a history of emailing coaches and bitching without realizing this catches up to the kid.

Is the kid really a great player or is she just delusional?

Sorry, I was cryptic. He's not delusional. I'm not delusional. He's an OK player. He's far from the best and I don't think he's the worst

I wish she would stop emailing coaches about PT or positions played. She doesn't realize it hurts more than helps him. I can't see it does him any good.

Sorry, I was cryptic. He's not delusional. I'm not delusional. He's an OK player. He's far from the best and I don't think he's the worst

I wish she would stop emailing coaches about PT or positions played. She doesn't realize it hurts more than helps him. I can't see it does him any good.

You want me a Guido to kick your wife's ass. We'll kick good.
6eb9468f0d84c590e4b30d11e5295a52.jpg

Or, me and the boyz could just take care of the old MILF. (She's not too tough is she?)

cosa-nostra-mafia-crime-criminals-italians-mob-demotivational-posters-1344468439.jpg

Last edited:

Just forge his birth certificate and have him play down 1-2 year level. That has worked for decades with the Central American kids at the LLWS.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

She's fishing for the coach that isngoingn to tell her she can earn the boys playing time... The hard way!!!!

Reactions: dgordo
Can you give some examples of what you had to deal with? Just curious

I won't speak for SoMpls, but in my experience being a youth umpire/official was infinitely worse than being the coach. Parents not understanding rules, little Johnny striking out because he's afraid of the ball, the other team's pitcher sporting a mustache and requesting birth certificate verification (true story), and what not.

Reactions: BrianNole09
I won't speak for SoMpls, but in my experience being a youth umpire/official was infinitely worse than being the coach. Parents not understanding rules, little Johnny striking out because he's afraid of the ball, the other team's pitcher sporting a mustache and requesting birth certificate verification (true story), and what not.
I put in two years of officiating youth ball before focusing only on HS. Youth stuff is infinitely worse. I had a football coach chase me about 75 yards down the FB field following the play after I supposedly missed a block in the back. I had a parent come up to me after a 4th grade girls BB game and tell me I was the worst official he had ever seen. And then challenged me to see him outside. I was 19 at the time.

You couldn't pay me enough to do youth (below 8th grade) sports anymore.

I played baseball from 1st to 8th grade. I remember, vividly, when I was 8 years old and two opposing coaches got in a huge fight. One of the coaches was going completely psycho and had 6 people holding him back. He saw a baseball bat on the ground and dove for it. I have no doubt he may have killed the other coach if he got the bat. It was so uncomfortable.

Too bad this was before cell phones because I would have called 911 in a second.

I had a parent yell at me once immediately after a basketball game about why weren't we pressing constantly. Berated me for 5 minutes. I just stood there and let him look like an ass. When he was done, I politely reminded him it was 3rd and 4th grade players, and that you weren't allowed to defend the ball in the back court.

I had another parent yell at me about not letting the kids shoot 3s and not spending the whole practice working on the offense. I had his son, who he was alluding to with the comment about the 3s, shoot 10 of them... 0-10 and he didn't even hit the backboard or rim on any of the shots. I also explained to him that it does no good to teach kids to run an offense if they have no concept about the basics of the game and the complete inability to perform the basics, such as shooting, passing and dribbling. Which is why I spent most of every practice doing drills/games designed to teach kids those three things.

As for officials, I will fully admit, I have yelled at officials before. But it has been paid, certified officials and it has generally been for something they missed that was (somewhat) safety related, such as an obvious elbow to the head. However, it doesn't happen very often. I generally sit fairly quietly and comment to neighboring fans on why what they are yelling is either right or wrong. I watch a lot of AAU ball, and the parents can get vicious. The funny thing is, based on also watching a lot of HS ball, the officiating at most of the AAU tourneys is not markedly worse than most HS games. The biggest difference is using two instead of three officials. So I give them a bigger break.

I had a parent yell at me once immediately after a basketball game about why weren't we pressing constantly. Berated me for 5 minutes. I just stood there and let him look like an ass. When he was done, I politely reminded him it was 3rd and 4th grade players, and that you weren't allowed to defend the ball in the back court.

I had another parent yell at me about not letting the kids shoot 3s and not spending the whole practice working on the offense. I had his son, who he was alluding to with the comment about the 3s, shoot 10 of them... 0-10 and he didn't even hit the backboard or rim on any of the shots. I also explained to him that it does no good to teach kids to run an offense if they have no concept about the basics of the game and the complete inability to perform the basics, such as shooting, passing and dribbling. Which is why I spent most of every practice doing drills/games designed to teach kids those three things.

As for officials, I will fully admit, I have yelled at officials before. But it has been paid, certified officials and it has generally been for something they missed that was (somewhat) safety related, such as an obvious elbow to the head. However, it doesn't happen very often. I generally sit fairly quietly and comment to neighboring fans on why what they are yelling is either right or wrong. I watch a lot of AAU ball, and the parents can get vicious. The funny thing is, based on also watching a lot of HS ball, the officiating at most of the AAU tourneys is not markedly worse than most HS games. The biggest difference is using two instead of three officials. So I give them a bigger break.

I really push myself to not yell at umps when I'm coaching. All it does is give the kids the idea that they can just blame blue for why they're not doing well. I mostly say nothing, but if there's a rule call I think they have wrong, I'll jog out and speak to them quietly facing away from the crowd. If it's just a judgment call that I think they got egregiously wrong, I'll catch them between innings just to get an idea what they saw. Nothing worse than a coach in the dugout yelling at blue about his strike zone.

Reactions: belezabro
Don't worry, it's a lot of fun. Just don't become one of "those" parents....
Yep. I rarely see such behavior. Parents on our team clap and encourage the kids when they make an error, and we play upper level competitive ball. Coaches sometimes have an emotional reaction to a play but it usually leads to nothing.

This thread reminds exactly why I changed my mind 10 years ago to never coach youth sports. There is no amount of money someone could pay me to deal with the nagging, in-your-face parents that dominate the youth playing fields of today.

A friend of mine used to be the head basketball coach (boys) at a major high school in Iowa. He would share stories of parents calling him all hours of the day making coaching suggestions or pushing for more playing time for their son.

It's ridiculous. When I played sports my parents would never, ever have called a coach to complain. They would attend some of my games. If I played - great. If I didn't play - great. I was of average talent in most sports and did well as a pitcher in baseball. Everyone involved knew my playing days would not extend past the 10th grade.

In the past few years I have attended some of my nephews' sporting events. Each and every game I attended I sat there and shook my head at the insaneness before me as I listened to outlandish comments by parents either berating the official or yelling at their child to "score, score, score."

I would often think "who are these people?" And "How can you berate an official at a soccer game for 8 year-old children?" This nightmare parenting generation is MY generation (Xers). The ones who created year-around practices. Insane travel schedules. A "trophy for everyone" mentality. And "my kid is going to one day play in the NFL/NBA/MLB."

Who are these people and why have they become so insane over youth sports? These are CHILDREN! Berating coaches, referees, and the players ... Say what?

Somewhere along the way my generation decided it wanted to hold onto its youth. Re-live the glory days through my child. Set expectations of my child that I never achieved. Inflate my chest because my little dynamo is the best da&n 6 year-old soccer player in <insert suburb.> My generation also somehow justifies yelling at referees or coaches who are either volunteering or being paid small sums to tolerate complete aholes like you.

I was an average athlete. I enjoyed the sports I played. I wasn't on "elite" travel teams and my parents didn't spend thousands of dollars on me to play in tournaments across the country. Somehow in the last 20-30 years we have a generation of parents who are feeling some type of emptiness in their lives that they need to fill it by over scheduling their children and taking their anger/sadness/depression/frustrations out on innocent players, coaches, and referees. Or maybe they just want a reason to escape their unhappy marriage (I'm not joking here).

Quick story: One of my brothers was one of those insane parents. Had his kid involved in every sport. Participant in traveling soccer teams all across the Midwest. Countless practices. Weekends filled with trips to Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis. Sometimes a plane ride was even involved. Soccer 24/7. Now? My nephew is 22. HATES soccer. Never watches it. Doesn't own a soccer ball. One time I asked him if he actually "enjoyed" all of practices, and travel, etc. His response: "It's all I knew and I felt like I didn't have a choice."

So for my generation of over-bearing, in-your-face, never-realized-my-own-dreams parents ... Maybe take a moment to gather your thoughts before you berate a coach, player, or referee. It's a G-A-M-E. Nothing more. Nothing less. And when the dust settles, your wonder child will be doing what many other wonder children end up doing ... working, living ... and not playing in the NFL.

Last edited:
I coached boy's basketball. Parents would yell instructions to their son as the ball was in play which was often contrary to what I was trying to do. There is a fine line between input and interference. Parents have no clue as to where that line is.

This thread reminds exactly why I changed my mind 10 years ago to never coach youth sports. There is no amount of money someone could pay me to deal with the nagging, in-your-face parents that dominate the youth playing fields of today.

I hear this, and they are definitely out there, but I'm just not seeing it as a high percentage. It's more like the 10% of people being idiots -- but that's everywhere in life. I'm now coaching my third son in baseball plus I've done a couple years of basketball at the 6-8 age range. All totaled, between the three kids, I've probably coached 15-20 distinct teams over the last 8 years. That's probably something like 150-200 unique kids and I can think of maybe 6-8 parents/families that were a problem to deal with. The vast majority ranged from silent with minimal interaction to being extremely supportive and helpful. I absolutely love teaching the game and working with kids, so dealing with a handful of morons is worth it in the long run.

I coached boy's basketball. Parents would yell instructions to their son as the ball was in play which was often contrary to what I was trying to do. There is a fine line between input and interference. Parents have no clue as to where that line is.
That, I do see/hear.

Last night I was watching my son play machine pitch ball (6-7 year olds). He was on the mound on defense. Most of the hit balls go to the pitcher...first 3 batters hit it right to him. He just stands there and watches all 3 balls. I'm smiling, realizing it means little but inside I'm wanting to yell to him to move, get the ball. Finally, the coach talks to him and after that he threw every hit ball to 1B.

There was quite a bit of yelling from the stands though. Mostly positive in tone but still distracting to the kiddos.

This is actually a fantastic point and is probably my biggest challenge. As I said in my last post, I don't get many parents who yell and scream or get on me for player rotations/playing time. I do, however, get parents yelling instructions from the sidelines. You're right, it's a problem. At best, it's a distraction, as it's one more voice and one more set of words for the player to process instead of just reacting. At worst, it's telling the kid to do something contrary to what he/she is being taught. This is more an annoyance than a real problem and I've had good luck talking to the parents to let them know what we're trying to accomplish. At least this problem typically comes from a good place.

A good example from last week - I'm coaching my middle son's minor league team. First year these kids have played kid-pitch with allowed stolen bases. We've worked with the kids a lot in practice on seeing the ball and making their choice. After the first couple of games, we just remind them of the rule now and mostly leave them to their own choices (in some circumstances I'll hold them, but rare). I had a kid on base Saturday who didn't go on 3 straight wild pitches and I reminded him of his option to go after each. Dad is on first baseline and yelling for kid to go. When the inning is over, he asked me how come I didn't send them and I explained how we're teaching them to read the ball and make a decision. He appreciated that and didn't yell next time the kid was on.

I hear this, and they are definitely out there, but I'm just not seeing it as a high percentage. It's more like the 10% of people being idiots -- but that's everywhere in life. I'm now coaching my third son in baseball plus I've done a couple years of basketball at the 6-8 age range. All totaled, between the three kids, I've probably coached 15-20 distinct teams over the last 8 years. That's probably something like 150-200 unique kids and I can think of maybe 6-8 parents/families that were a problem to deal with. The vast majority ranged from silent with minimal interaction to being extremely supportive and helpful. I absolutely love teaching the game and working with kids, so dealing with a handful of morons is worth it in the long run.
Kudos to you. I admire individuals who are in it for the right reasons and who are willing to give back the kids and work through the overbearing parents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT