ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix's support of Dave Chappelle is setting a dangerous precedent. Here's why.

I figured it was a dangerous precedent because people’s feelings would be hurt.
Hurt feelings are violence now. Also, I love how the authors side with the person who got fired for stealing data from Netflix and releasing it to the public simply because that person is trans. She was upset, so corporate espionage is totally cool.

Hurt feelings are violence now. Also, I love how the authors side with the person who got fired for stealing data from Netflix and releasing it to the public simply because that person is trans. She was upset, so corporate espionage is totally cool.

I’ve been telling you guys this world is getting soft. I’m gonna run the planet in 20 years.

Groups get made fun of by comedians. Story at 11.

Can you name another demographic who gets as mad and triggered as the trans community when a comedian takes a shot at them? Good grief. Welcome to equality. You made it! Comedians are making fun of you. Join the goddamned “every group on earth club”. Maybe if you could look and laugh at yourself a bit and quit being so serious you’d be doing a lot better.

Can someone break it to them that EVERYONE goes through shitty things in their lives and that their individual circumstances don’t put them at the top of shit mountain automatically?

Can you name another demographic who gets as mad and triggered as the trans community when a comedian takes a shot at them? Good grief. Welcome to equality. You made it!

I don’t think you were really asking….

But I believe the North Koreans have a worse sense of humor. Likely the Muslims as well. The trans community is probably in the playoff, but they’re not the favorite

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
You know, nobody actually has to watch the show. If you don't watch, Netflix won't make any more. Their actually pretty notorious for canceling shows while they are still relatively popular.

I'm not saying I agree with Chappelle. I love his skit work but his standup never was my brand of humor. So I don't watch his specials.

FAU and I don’t see eye to eye about much, but I think we see this story the same way.
Comedians get extra slack here. Freedom of Speech and all…. Those who disagree can protest but “ censorship” is ove the line. People make fun of people every day in life. Red heads, left handers, Republicans, boys, girls and others… everyone gets a shot! Ladd about it, ignore it and move on.
My mother once told me, “ sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.” My mother never lied to me!

Curious. "Taking shots" at the trans community is a-ok. "Taking shots" at a comedian...not so much? If Chappelle wants the right to criticize others, he shouldn't whine when they push back. Makes him look...soft.
A 'push back' wherein someone explains why they don't like what Dave is doing is ok, and unsurprising 'pushback' in a free society.
The people who insist they don't like what he said, so he shouldn't be on Netflix where I can hear what he says are not the kind of 'pushback' I want.
I don't want a censorship society.

Dozens of Netflix employees and their supporters staged a walkout outside Netflix Headquarters

dozens-of-us.gif

A 'push back' wherein someone explains why they don't like what Dave is doing is ok, and unsurprising 'pushback' in a free society.
The people who insist they don't like what he said, so he shouldn't be on Netflix where I can hear what he says are not the kind of 'pushback' I want.
I don't want a censorship society.
This. Exactly this. The whole notion of "WE don't like what you have to say...therefore NO ONE should ever hear what you have to say ever," is a dangerously and potentially irreversibly slippery slope. The last time Ol' Doodle checked, Netflix was optional. When subscribing to and watching it becomes compulsory...then we'll need to talk.

How embarrassing. Ever heard the saying “Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” Well times are starting to get hard, and that video tells me why.
My comment has nothing to do w/the issue at hand.

I just came to say - No. No one has ever heard that "saying," Slim.

I loved how they tore apart his sign and then yelled at him for having a weapon. (the stick that held up the sign)

That was some Monty Python shit
The POS tearing up that sign and the hag with her hands out around the guy are examples of what is wrong with this country right now.

It isn't even about their opinion it is about them wanting to silence opposing thoughts.

Curious. "Taking shots" at the trans community is a-ok. "Taking shots" at a comedian...not so much? If Chappelle wants the right to criticize others, he shouldn't whine when they push back. Makes him look...soft.
They’re both “A ok”. However, if you take shots at a highly popular comedian, you are setting yourself up for more ridicule and embarrassment. You think he’s whining? He’s loving life. They keep making him wealthier by feeding him material. Look at the goddamned lunatics in the protest video. Who the hell wouldn’t want to see those fools made fun of. Jordan Klepper should visit that goddamned place. It would be hilarious. But alas…I think he only goes one way. Maybe not.

This. Exactly this. The whole notion of "WE don't like what you have to say...therefore NO ONE should ever hear what you have to say ever," is a dangerously and potentially irreversibly slippery slope. The last time Ol' Doodle checked, Netflix was optional. When subscribing to and watching it becomes compulsory...then we'll need to talk.
They aren't trying to shut Chappelle down. He's free to say whatever he wants. People are protesting Netflix giving him a platform and they have as much right to do that as Chappelle has to make his claims. You can't shut them up any more than you can shut Chappelle up.

Netflix is a private business and will do what they believe is in their own best interests. Kinda like the Dixie Chicks saying they were ashamed Bush43 was from TX and country music stations dropped them like hot potatoes. And conservatives cheered.

Reactions: fredjr82
They absolutely are trying to shut him down. They are trying to take away his venue to perform his "art". That would qualify as the basis for censorship. It's censorship.

This is my favorite line from the article which discusses Netflix lack of diversity:
"But while it may seem like Netflix is filled with LGBTQ content, novelty, prominence and repeated exposure could give way to false perception.
The University of Southern California's Annenberg Inclusion Initiative studied the company's diversity efforts in a February report commissioned by the streamer, examining the streaming service's diversity progress across 126 movies and 180 scripted series, and found that the company still lacks representation in major demographics.
LGBTQ characters, for example, were only in the main cast of about 4% of movies and 6% of series.

This is from the UCLA law school:
An estimated 3.5% of adults in the United States identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual and an estimated 0.3% of adults are transgender.

Can you name another demographic who gets as mad and triggered as the trans community when a comedian takes a shot at them? Good grief. Welcome to equality. You made it! Comedians are making fun of you. Join the goddamned “every group on earth club”. Maybe if you could look and laugh at yourself a bit and quit being so serious you’d be doing a lot better.

Can someone break it to them that EVERYONE goes through shitty things in their lives and that their individual circumstances don’t put them at the top of shit mountain automatically?
JFC, FAUlty.

This is my favorite line from the article which discusses Netflix lack of diversity:
"But while it may seem like Netflix is filled with LGBTQ content, novelty, prominence and repeated exposure could give way to false perception.
The University of Southern California's Annenberg Inclusion Initiative studied the company's diversity efforts in a February report commissioned by the streamer, examining the streaming service's diversity progress across 126 movies and 180 scripted series, and found that the company still lacks representation in major demographics.
LGBTQ characters, for example, were only in the main cast of about 4% of movies and 6% of series.

This is from the UCLA law school:
An estimated 3.5% of adults in the United States identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual and an estimated 0.3% of adults are transgender.
So....they're over represented?

So, if people who write and produce these stories from their own experiences and don't include a LGBTQ character, it's up to Netflix to either pass on the story or force them to add one? Then, of course, when they do, the next complaint comes in the form of "they had a straight person play a gay person or a non-trans play a trans"...which of course is the worst thing to ever happen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT