ADVERTISEMENT

New college rule - fake injuries

So they send the tape in for someone to review. Bet that works. Needed to be dealt with on the field during the game. Simple, if injured sit out the series. Didn’t do anything to fix the problems of this and targeting.

So they send the tape in for someone to review. Bet that works. Needed to be dealt with on the field during the game. Simple, if injured sit out the series. Didn’t do anything to fix the problems of this and targeting.
yea i think any Player who goes down and causes a stoppage should be out thte series, it would both protect a legit dinged Guy and stop the faking of injuries, make it cut n dry not some tape review crap .

I was rewatching the Nebraska game from last year. On the last play of the game, when we took a knee to run out the clock, a Nebraska defensive lineman came out of his stance, stood there for a second, and dropped to the turf holding his knee. Everyone ignored him as the clock ran out. A few camera cuts later and there was no sign of him on the ground.

yea i think any Player who goes down and causes a stoppage should be out thte series, it would both protect a legit dinged Guy and stop the faking of injuries, make it cut n dry not some tape review crap .

If a defender fakes an injury before third down, he misses one play. Big deal. Meanwhile, his team gets a free TO to catch their breath and the coaches get to adjust.
I honestly don't know the answer. Innocent people always get punished when others abuse the rules.

Who keeps track of injured player and when he can come back?? Referees have enough to do and can’t really be expected to track this

Who keeps track of injured player and when he can come back?? Referees have enough to do and can’t really be expected to track this
I think they'd figure it out. It could be the responsibility of a staff member on each team. The penalty for coming back on the field ahead of time could be similar to a targeting call. It's not like someone on the opposing team wouldn't call them out if they came back early.

I think they'd figure it out. It could be the responsibility of a staff member on each team. The penalty for coming back on the field ahead of time could be similar to a targeting call. It's not like someone on the opposing team wouldn't call them out if they came back early.
It would be pretty easy I would think. If a player is injured and play has to be stopped for him to come off, the ref makes an announcement that #78 has to remain out for the rest of the series, unless either team calls a timeout. If said player tries to come in illegally, you would have both the opponent and the ref looking out for it. You could also use replay to assess it and if a team tries to sub him in, 15-yard penalty and player is either out for rest of half/game.

I am still passed about Citrus Bowl, when Robinson went down after the long catch, got up danced for the crowd after injury TO, then ran back on field after KY had procedure penalty. He didn't even miss a damned (official) play!

Apparently they have enough personnel to review injuries on tape to see if it was legit or not. So take the people they gonna pay to review videos and use their time to keep track of players to make are they are out a series.

Reactions: F5n5
These are good suggestions. Here's the problem - the fake injury has already accomplished what it was supposed to do - slow the momentum of the other team. Teams have plenty of guys they can sub in after the fake injury, or send someone in for the purpose of faking an injury. So, simply keeping a guy out for the rest of the series isn't much of a penalty.

More severe in game penalties for injury just penalizes the guys that are actually hurt. A cramp, for example. Or having the wind knock out of you. Theses are legitimate reasons for a player to go down, but could also recover quickly.

Penalizing a team AFTER the game will probably be toothless.

In this world, it's hard to legislate integrity.

Any player who forces clock to be stopped for injury misses rest of series. A second occurrence by same player is rest of half.
This encourages players to leave field if injured vs rewarded for collapsing on field.
With these rules, you have maybe 5 total injuries a game to stop play and recording who while clock stopped. If a player is actively “limping” to sideline, refs discretion to “pause” to get off field without injury stoppage.

Such a simple fix:

Player gets injured they sit out the series
That would seem to be the best answer, but there's even a way to get around this. Substitute a second/third string guy and have him go down.

Last edited:
These are good suggestions. Here's the problem - the fake injury has already accomplished what it was supposed to do - slow the momentum of the other team. Teams have plenty of guys they can sub in after the fake injury, or send someone in for the purpose of faking an injury. So, simply keeping a guy out for the rest of the series isn't much of a penalty.

More severe in game penalties for injury just penalizes the guys that are actually hurt. A cramp, for example. Or having the wind knock out of you. Theses are legitimate reasons for a player to go down, but could also recover quickly.

Penalizing a team AFTER the game will probably be toothless.

In this world, it's hard to legislate integrity.
I don't buy this. If you are legit injured even slightly it is in your best interest to take some plays off the recover or be checked out further.

I don't buy this. If you are legit injured even slightly it is in your best interest to take some plays off the recover or be checked out further.
My point is - taking a few plays off is not a deterrent.

That would seem to be the best answer, but there's even a way to get around this. Substitute a second/third string guy and have him go down.

Disagree.
Doing this would be exposed. How good is that gonna look? Out of nowhere, you put in a guy who never plays, and he goes down the next play? How many times can a team get away with that? Once? Hell, not even once. That will look suspicious as hell. Imagine the same team then doing it again. That shit would get exposed big time. No team wants that.

Reactions: Ree4 and F5n5
Disagree.
Doing this would be exposed. How good is that gonna look? Out of nowhere, you put in a guy who never plays, and he goes down the next play? How many times can a team get away with that? Once? Hell, not even once. That will look suspicious as hell. Imagine the same team then doing it again. That shit would get exposed big time. No team wants that.
No doubt it would look bad. But seeing what some coaches are already will to do... you never know.

Reactions: DJ_Kool_Herk
Trying to think out of the box:
how about rewarding the other team with an extra timeout? Not sure of details, but consider it like the free throw bonus in basketball.

Yeah, idk... nothing works.

I think teams should get 2 free injury timeouts per game. All other injuries resulting in a stoppage take an alotted timeout or take a 10 yard penalty. The timeout or penalty is worth it to the team to take an injured player off the field at the end of the day.

Penalty Box LOL , Works in Hockey .................
I often wondered how football would work with a penalty box where players who teams aren't penalized yards but the guy who committed the penalty has to go to "the box" for a set amount of plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT