ADVERTISEMENT

SI destroys Iowa by the numbers

This is what a portion of our fan base doesn’t understand; it’s difficult to be this bad on offense. Going up against great defenses doesn’t have to be a death sentence. It isn’t for even the cupcake teams on the schedules of PSU, Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, etc.

I’m going to quibble a bit with this. PSU has a top 5 defense, easily.
Even if they are, FCS teams have offenses that perform better than Iowa's does against teams like this.

No, they’re not going to do the same to OSU and Michigan because those two teams have offenses capable of doing things. Even the best defenses in CFB have games where they give up yards and points. Penn State had a top 10/ top 5 defense last year even though they gave up 40+ to both OSU and Michigan. Georgia’s all-world defense of 2021 allowed 41 to Bama.

Look, I don’t have any love lost for Penn State. But their defense is legit.
Delaware vs. PSU
7 points
140 total yards
82 rushing yards
5 first downs

Iowa vs. PSU
0 points
76 total yards
20 rushing yards
4 first downs

KF has some kind of sickness or mental disorder that consciously, or subconsciously, he wants to win games 6-4, or score 7 pts in a game with 2 safeties and a fg. Winning isn't as important as producing stats mentioned in the SI article. Those stats are the symptom of this sickness he has. Sad really.

I think you're missing the bigger point here. And that long TD run counts.
Not really, Iowa smokes Delaware . I know it’s hyperbole, but psu could’ve put up 100 on them. Against Iowa things went psu’s way but psu wasn’t scoring much more than the 31.

I’ll bet they put more effort out against Iowa than Delaware.

• Haha
Reactions: vonviener
Not really, Iowa smokes Delaware . I know it’s hyperbole, but psu could’ve put up 100 on them. Against Iowa things went psu’s way but psu wasn’t scoring much more than the 31.

This is a reasonable take. Iowa's D had PSU's O fairly well stymied in the first half. The wheels came off when it became apparent that the Iowa O had no answers for the PSU D.

BTW, thanks for the generally civil discussion over the course of the past week. It's refreshing when fans from opponents come on here to talk football vs just talk shit. Good luck the rest of the way.

This is a reasonable take. Iowa's D had PSU's O fairly well stymied in the first half. The wheels came off when it became apparent that the Iowa O had no answers for the PSU D.

BTW, thanks for the generally civil discussion over the course of the past week. It's refreshing when fans from opponents come on here to talk football vs just talk shit. Good luck the rest of the way.

You’re very welcome, I’d rather talk football and enjoy the game. I had high hopes for this game, not Penn State winning , but watching it with my anlmost five month old granddaughter . She’s a sweetie normally but right around game time she started wailing.

The little one has a tummy ache. With some special get the gas out techniques such as bicycle legs and patting her back we were rewarded with some farts and a smelly diaper.

She was her normal smiley self then. Lol. Life is funny , look forward to a game, it’s going my way but then you’re worried about a baby. It gives me perspective.

I'm talking about Iowa's offense. Iowa's offense did less against PSU than Delaware. FCS Delaware's offense was more effective against PSU's defense than Iowa's offense. My point has nothing to do with PSU's offense or whether Iowa would beat Delaware.

Reactions: UNIHAWK88
Based on what? The only two name teams they've played are Illinois and Iowa who, along with Northwestern, probably have the worst 3 offenses in the B1G......total ZERO offenses. You think they're going to do the same to OSU and Michigan? Think again. Their OOC schedule was PATHETIC. They're very good but you're smoking some strong $hit if you think they're top 5
Who would you say are the top 5 college football defenses?

From the article:

• Iowa had the same number of turnovers as first downs (four)
  • Penn State scored just two more points than Iowa had offensive plays (31 to 33)
  • Penn State had more rushing attempts (57) than Iowa had passing yards (56)
  • Iowa’s total rushing yards (20) were nearly matched on one rush by Penn State running back Nicholas Singleton (19 yard long)
  • Iowa had six total fumbles (four lost)
  • Penn State QB Drew Allar nearly had as many passing attempts (37) as Iowa QB Cade McNamara had passing yards
  • Iowa posted a total of 20 rushing yards on 17 attempts (0.8 yards per attempt)
There is no way to reasonably explain this level of abject ineptness. It’s utterly bizarre. A “bad game” does not even begin to describe what happened.

It’s baffling. Maybe the Iowa Attorney General should open a new gambling investigation on the football program, coaches included. What the hell else could it be? Good god.
It’s Kirk. None of it’s baffling.

Reactions: mikesright
Iowa is ranked 131st out of 133 in total offense.

129/130 In total offense..

No freaking way to justify keeping an OC of a P5 team past today.
Brian lied to us all.

Before the season, he assured us that nothing would change offensively.

Is that so, Brian. Then how come its actually gotten WORSE than being in the last fifth of the national rankings last year!?!? It just shouldn't realistically be possible, yet here we are.

Time to go, Ferentzes. Enough is enough.

I'm talking about Iowa's offense. Iowa's offense did less against PSU than Delaware. FCS Delaware's offense was more effective against PSU's defense than Iowa's offense. My point has nothing to do with PSU's offense or whether Iowa would beat Delaware.
And again they really didn’t do better. Psu gave up a long run because they got out of position once. It’s not a good comparison because these were two different entities.

Psu was not worried about Delaware but they were worried about Iowa. 10-0 at the half is two goofy plays away from being 14-10.

Would you feel better if you had Delaware’s offensive output with a 63-7 score knowing it could’ve been worse? Psu knows Iowa can play strong d and is well coached , you let up or underperform against them you’re going to lose.

And again they really didn’t do better. Psu gave up a long run because they got out of position once. It’s not a good comparison because these were two different entities.

Psu was not worried about Delaware but they were worried about Iowa. 10-0 at the half is two goofy plays away from being 14-10.

Would you feel better if you had Delaware’s offensive output with a 63-7 score knowing it could’ve been worse? Psu knows Iowa can play strong d and is well coached , you let up or underperform against them you’re going to lose.
It's actually about as good a comparison as it gets. Delaware and Iowa both lined up against PSU's defense. Delaware's offense put up more points, more yards, got more first downs, and had better overall stats than Iowa's offense. And again, that long run by Delaware, it counts.

What I can't figure out is how Cade McNamara got sucked into the Ferentz trainwreck when he had offers from many other schools. He's convinced himself that the offense will be improved after the night in Happy Valley. Why does it have to take a disastrous night to make the offense improve?

Take a trip to any fan board and they're all laughing. PSU has a decent defense but not that good. I really feel for you guys as your fan base doesn't deserve this insane nepotism.
Thank you; true. I’ve lost my perspective of how an AD and his/her department manages their employees. Offensively Iowa has failed across the board over the last 4 plus years. Regardless of wins and losses these measurables require employee change. Oddly, management ignores this and I have no idea what possible discussions are had for management to be satisfied without changes. Why would any AD let themselves be so neutered?

It's actually about as good a comparison as it gets. Delaware and Iowa both lined up against PSU's defense. Delaware's offense put up more points, more yards, got more first downs, and had better overall stats than Iowa's offense. And again, that long run by Delaware, it counts.
No it's not, Delaware is in no way close to Iowa in anything. Shutouts in football are flukes. Iowa was hampered by a better D in sub optimal conditions. Iowa plays Delaware at Beaver Stadium instead of PSU that day, Iowa destroys them. Comparing this team's performance to another team's never pans out because it's just a different event.

Iowa's offense isn't good, but Delaware's isn't better.

Oh man you are missing the point…go ahead and keep playing out the Iowa/Delaware game for us 🤪

Oh man you are missing the point…go ahead and keep playing out the Iowa/Delaware game for us 🤪
Do you want me as a visitor to say, yeah you're right Iowa's offense sucks so bad? I don't think it's good , but I don't think it's anywhere close to Delaware. I get the frustration but losing by less say 31-7 with 80 more yards isn't going to make anyone happier.

What I can't figure out is how Cade McNamara got sucked into the Ferentz trainwreck when he had offers from many other schools. He's convinced himself that the offense will be improved after the night in Happy Valley. Why does it have to take a disastrous night to make the offense improve?
In Cade's defense, he's saying that because it literally can't get worse.

If they can't do better than 33 plays ran/76 total yards/4 first downs/4 fumbles lost and ZERO points - for a WHOLE game - the rest of the season against the B1G West (and MSU & Rutgers), then they better just forfeit the rest of their schedule now.

I can’t for the life of me understand WHY our staff thinks doing the same things over and over and over will lead to an upward trend.

The whole ‘stick to the plan’ approach isn’t working, Kirk! Stop waiting for that ONE game where we look decent so you can say “I told you so.”

The CBS guys said it best: “Scratch where it itches, and the Iowa offense is itching all over the place”

When CM announced he was transferring here, I was hoping against hope that there was more to the Iowa offense than meets the eye and maybe a few players in the right spots would make a big difference......
Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reactions: HawkBall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT