ADVERTISEMENT

SI destroys Iowa by the numbers

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
This is what a portion of our fan base doesn’t understand; it’s difficult to be this bad on offense. Going up against great defenses doesn’t have to be a death sentence. It isn’t for even the cupcake teams on the schedules of PSU, Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, etc.

Take a trip to any fan board and they're all laughing. PSU has a decent defense but not that good. I really feel for you guys as your fan base doesn't deserve this insane nepotism.
I’m going to quibble a bit with this. PSU has a top 5 defense, easily.

Based on what? The only two name teams they've played are Illinois and Iowa who, along with Northwestern, probably have the worst 3 offenses in the B1G......total ZERO offenses. You think they're going to do the same to OSU and Michigan? Think again. Their OOC schedule was PATHETIC. They're very good but you're smoking some strong $hit if you think they're top 5

Based on what? The only two name teams they've played are Illinois and Iowa who, along with Northwestern, probably have the worst 3 offenses in the B1G......total ZERO offenses. You think they're going to do the same to OSU and Michigan? Think again. Their OOC schedule was PATHETIC. They're very good but you're smoking some strong $hit if you think they're top 5
Will be interesting to see where WVU finishes (3-1 currently).

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Based on what? The only two name teams they've played are Illinois and Iowa who, along with Northwestern, probably have the worst 3 offenses in the B1G......total ZERO offenses. You think they're going to do the same to OSU and Michigan? Think again. Their OOC schedule was PATHETIC
No, they’re not going to do the same to OSU and Michigan because those two teams have offenses capable of doing things. Even the best defenses in CFB have games where they give up yards and points. Penn State had a top 10/ top 5 defense last year even though they gave up 40+ to both OSU and Michigan. Georgia’s all-world defense of 2021 allowed 41 to Bama.

Look, I don’t have any love lost for Penn State. But their defense is legit.

No, they’re not going to do the same to OSU and Michigan because those two teams have offenses capable of doing things. Even the best defenses in CFB have games where they give up yards and points. Penn State had a top 10/ top 5 defense last year even though they gave up 40+ to both OSU and Michigan. Georgia’s all-world defense of 2021 allowed 41 to Bama.

Look, I don’t have any love lost for Penn State. But their defense is legit.
Very legit - I agree but NOT "top 5 - easily.".

WVU has beaten Duquesne, a super weak Pitt, and Texas Tech. Let's see how all of this plays out when they get to real teams.
Who are their real teams? They go at TCU and at Oklahoma. Other than that they play BigWest or worse the rest of the way.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
We’re gonna see WRs transfer at the end of the season (again)
Lucky for us brown and Anderson already transferred once. Need to be grad transfer to not sit out a year minus a waiver. So we won’t be trotting our walk ons like last year week 1.

But with rules in todays college football it’s insane to not have a 100 yds especially as a P5 school. That being said we only had 166 vs SDSU last year.

From the article:

• Iowa had the same number of turnovers as first downs (four)
  • Penn State scored just two more points than Iowa had offensive plays (31 to 33)
  • Penn State had more rushing attempts (57) than Iowa had passing yards (56)
  • Iowa’s total rushing yards (20) were nearly matched on one rush by Penn State running back Nicholas Singleton (19 yard long)
  • Iowa had six total fumbles (four lost)
  • Penn State QB Drew Allar nearly had as many passing attempts (37) as Iowa QB Cade McNamara had passing yards
  • Iowa posted a total of 20 rushing yards on 17 attempts (0.8 yards per attempt)
There is no way to reasonably explain this level of abject ineptness. It’s utterly bizarre. A “bad game” does not even begin to describe what happened.

It’s baffling. Maybe the Iowa Attorney General should open a new gambling investigation on the football program, coaches included. What the hell else could it be? Good god.

Iowa is ranked 131st out of 133 in total offense.

BF6b.jpg

From the article:

• Penn State scored just two more points than Iowa had offensive plays (31 to 33)
  • Iowa’s total rushing yards (20) were nearly matched on one rush by Penn State running back Nicholas Singleton (19 yard long)
  • Penn State QB Drew Allar nearly had as many passing attempts (37) as Iowa QB Cade McNamara had passing yards
  • Iowa posted a total of 20 rushing yards on 17 attempts (0.8 yards per attempt)
There is no way to reasonably explain this level of abject ineptness. It’s utterly bizarre. A “bad game” does not even begin to describe what happened.

It’s baffling. Maybe the Iowa Attorney General should open a new gambling investigation on the football program, coaches included. What the hell else could it be? Good god.

How in the actual **** is ANY of this acceptable? Let alone all of this. Its ****ing insane.

From the article:

I was thinking the same thing about gambling but even guys shaving points can’t be that bad.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Sometimes, there’s a really bad game and things just don’t go your way. This isn’t that. Iowa’s offense is utterly inept every week and has been for several years running. I’m as happy as anyone that Iowa won a good amount of games last year. But if you’re going to talk about “body of work,” you have to realize that BF’s only body of work is the offense, which is dogshit. I have nothing against him personally, and I don’t hate him like some seem to do, but he’s just not getting the job done. Changes have to be made.

This is what a portion of our fan base doesn’t understand; it’s difficult to be this bad on offense. Going up against great defenses doesn’t have to be a death sentence. It isn’t for even the cupcake teams on the schedules of PSU, Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, etc.

If this game were a one off, it would be one thing but this is the 3rd season in a row that Iowa has had a horrific OL and horrific offense overall.

Heads need to roll.

I noticed that besides Iowa, it's an entirely different grouping of teams at the bottom this year. The other ones got their shit together and fired their worthless coaches and moved forward. Iowa doubles down on dipshit.
Yep to jump up 1 place, we have to get 200yds of offense and the other currently in 128th to get zero...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT