ADVERTISEMENT

New poll reveals what voters really think of America's most powerful teachers union!

People aren't born detesting unions, unions earn that dislike based on how they act and what they do. People in Chicago have come to dislike the CTU because of what the union stands for and what little the union does in regard to improving the education of young folk in Chicago.

Unions are so antiquated and not needed these days.
Your opinions suck, but since you are nothing but a GOP paid shill I suspect you know that. It's going to be a great day when the next election comes around and this handle disappears, just like all the other paid shills that find their way to this site.

Your opinions suck, but since you are nothing but a GOP paid shill I suspect you know that. It's going to be a great day when the next election comes around and this handle disappears, just like all the other paid shills that find their way to this site.
You think the gop is paying randos to post 3rd party surveys to message boards like this? Talk about conspiracy theory 😂

You'll be the one crying in your open door mission soup when the next election results are announced.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
You'll be the one crying in your open door mission soup when the next election results are announced.
Huh? Unlike you, I actually have a real job. But whatever, you aren't even making any sense anymore and with the maturity you are displaying here, you probably need to head to the bike rack to go get in the fight you scheduled at recess.

Amazing how that works isn't it? Almost like you had a choice to work for an employer who was good to it's employees.
And remember what we're talking about here, public sector workers making 66k on average per year working essentially for the government, not some slave driving company putting profit above its employees. It all adds up to the exact point of this thread.
???

Amazing how that works isn't it? Almost like you had a choice to work for an employer who was good to it's employees.
And remember what we're talking about here, public sector workers making 66k on average per year working essentially for the government, not some slave driving company putting profit above its employees. It all adds up to the exact point of this thread.
So, you think 66k is more than enough for a teacher salary, even in Chicago. And as you put it, for "9 months of work". Imagine what this would be without a union. I can guarantee you it would not be 66k. Which brings me to my next thing. If you think this is such a sweet deal, why aren't you teaching? If the job is so easy, and it is so overcompensated, why aren't you doing it? What would it take you to become a teacher? Answer that second question and maybe you'll understand the teacher perspective a bit better.

So, you think 66k is more than enough for a teacher salary, even in Chicago. And as you put it, for "9 months of work". Imagine what this would be without a union. I can guarantee you it would not be 66k. Which brings me to my next thing. If you think this is such a sweet deal, why aren't you teaching? If the job is so easy, and it is so overcompensated, why aren't you doing it? What would it take you to become a teacher? Answer that second question and maybe you'll understand the teacher perspective a bit better.
In other words you can't defend how rotten to the core the NEA and AFT really is.

In Iowa scruffy, which unions have impeded the education process in public schools? Can you site an instance?
Our tighty-righties don't know anything about unions other than what FOX and the GOP have spoon-fed them.

For example, they don't seem to understand that a union's job is to look out for the workers. In this case, the teachers.

If schools are bad, if education is failing - as it has obviously failed too many in America - that's on the politicians, not the unions.

If you think our educational system is struggling because of unions, that may prove you didn't get a good education, but it doesn't prove that unions are to blame.

I never said anything about teachers being overcompensated, or half the other shit you're ranting about here. Some dumbfvcks made the remarks about it not even being a "living wage", which no one with a functional brain really believes.
I was a math education major with a minor in business and after student teaching decided it wasn't for me. My wife got an education degree and spent quite a bit of time in the profession as have many close family members. I have no problem with good teachers whatsoever. But the CTU is a toxic awful organization who's done more harm than good in the city. My brother in law who teaches in Chicago public school district has shared this many times and it's the belief of most of the good teachers in the city as well.

Our tighty-righties don't know anything about unions other than what FOX and the GOP have spoon-fed them.

For example, they don't seem to understand that a union's job is to look out for the workers. In this case, the teachers.

If schools are bad, if education is failing - as it has obviously failed too many in America - that's on the politicians, not the unions.

If you think our educational system is struggling because of unions, that may prove you didn't get a good education, but it doesn't prove that unions are to blame.
Put down the liberals guide to talking points handbook.

Unions shouldn't be giving millions of dollars to political campaigns.

Unions shouldn't be in favor of indoctrinating young children.

Unions should be held accountable for their members poor performance.

Unions shouldn't be giving millions of dollars to political campaigns.

Unions shouldn't be in favor of indoctrinating young children.

Unions should be held accountable for their members poor performance.
JFC you have no clue what you are talking about here.

Corporations can give money but unions can't in your book? How about we just get rid of all private money and have publicly funded elections for everyone? I can go for that.

Unions are not banning books and trying to get Christian principles taught in school. It's not unions doing the indoctrination, it's right wing fascists that are doing it. Just like Florida. Projection from the right winger again here.

Teachers are held accountable and if it weren't for unions, there would be no system for doing that. You should be thanking unions for the accountability systems they put into place. You show me a bad teacher and I'll show you and administration not doing their jobs.

JFC you have no clue what you are talking about here.

Corporations can give money but unions can't in your book? How about we just get rid of all private money and have publicly funded elections for everyone? I can go for that.

Unions are not banning books and trying to get Christian principles taught in school. It's not unions doing the indoctrination, it's right wing fascists that are doing it. Just like Florida. Projection from the right winger again here.

Teachers are held accountable and if it weren't for unions, there would be no system for doing that. You should be thanking unions for the accountability systems they put into place. You show me a bad teacher and I'll show you and administration not doing their jobs.
You sputter such nonsense.

You need to get out of the basement and educate yourself to the ways of the world.

[1] Unions shouldn't be giving millions of dollars to political campaigns.

[2] Unions shouldn't be in favor of indoctrinating young children.

[3] Unions should be held accountable for their members poor performance.
I can somewhat agree with your list.

[1] If I have my way, most private money would be banned from politics. That could include union money. Unfortunately, folks on your side of the aisle usually want to restrict unions but leave the spigots wide open from corporations and the wealthy, directly, through PACs, or even hidden.

[2] To the best of my knowledge, unions are not in favor of indoctrinating kids. Of course it's the job of teachers to teach. Which some might call indoctrinating kids. And it's the job of unions to protect their workers - in this case the teachers - so I suppose you could argue that unions do favor indoctrinating kids. But that probably isn't what you actually mean. What you actually mean is that you don't want teachers teaching honest history, or evolutionary science, or encouraging discussion of various "liberal" ideas. Whereas you very much want other kinds of indoctrination that obscure history, inflict religion, and too often enforce a white supremacist, American exceptionalist mythology.

[3] Yes, unions should be accountable. Although it isn't really the union's job to hire teachers or to set standards, so their role is less than that of, say, the politicians and school boards who provide the funding, guidelines and oversight.

You sputter such nonsense.

You need to get out of the basement and educate yourself to the ways of the world.
Says the person who hasn't made a post of any substance in this thread since you got your ass handed to you in it. So instead you are just throwing insults and trying to troll your way through it, but you suck at that too so it's not going well for you.

That wasn't the question. Your stated reasoning for the necessary evil of unions was to confront the first evil. Which is who exactly?
Since I don't expect you to answer, I'll point out the average Chicago public school teacher salary is 66,000. Anyone suggesting this isn't a "living wage" is an idiot.
The first evil is a low ****ing living wage - it's been that way since the birth of capitalism.

Now **** off, idiot.

Says the person who hasn't made a post of any substance in this thread since you got your ass handed to you in it. So instead you are just throwing insults and trying to troll your way through it, but you suck at that too so it's not going well for you.
I made it clear I agree with those who told the pollsters that the CTU is worthless and does nothing to improve or support education in Chicago.

You were the one who took the atypical liberal position that it has everything to do with salary. There are thousands of folks in Chicago who would think they were rich if they made $66,000. per year.

You liberals always take the pity highway when faced with the facts.

I made it clear I agree with those who told the pollsters that the CTU is worthless and does nothing to improve or support education in Chicago.

You were the one who took the atypical liberal position that it has everything to do with salary. There are thousands of folks in Chicago who would think they were rich if they made $66,000. per year.

And then I said that teaching is a highly trained skilled profession that takes a considerable amount of financial and time commitment to be qualified for and it is also an in demand profession right now. The rules of supply and demand are going to apply to that as well. You seem to be taking the communist position of dictating salary despite the lack of supply for that profession.

Since you had no response to that you ignored it and went straight to incoherent rambling and insults. Something you still continue to do in this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: RicoSuave102954
The first evil is a low ****ing living wage - it's been that way since the birth of capitalism.

Now **** off, idiot.
You're a temperamental little thing aren't you? Do you scream and name call everyone who questions you when you say something ridiculous?
Please demonstrate how teachers salaries aren't a living wage as you claimed. Your words, not mine.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Not true, public school teachers leave and run to teach at the private schools.
Absolutely not true around here. The private school teachers make less with shit benefits. They do it to teach, it’s not about the money. Most private school teachers here went through the private school system and are giving back. We don’t want public school teachers and they don’t want us. It’s a good thing.

Absolutely not true around here. The private school teachers make less with shit benefits. They do it to teach, it’s not about the money. Most private school teachers here went through the private school system and are giving back. We don’t want public school teachers and they don’t want us. It’s a good thing.
I agree a lot of the private school teachers were at one time students at the private school. However an additional group of private school teachers are retired from the public school system or were burnt out by the disrespect and lack of motivation to learn in the public schools and sought employment in the private school system.

Private schools in Iowa typically accept only the best of the best as teachers. Very few if any of the educators on this board would ever be accepted as a teacher at a private school.

Last edited:
You're a temperamental little thing aren't you? Do you scream and name call everyone who questions you when you say something ridiculous?
Please demonstrate how teachers salaries aren't a living wage as you claimed. Your words, not mine.
Research is difficult for you. Lol, now, again, go **** your ignorant self.

"Quality teachers are one of the most important factors in student achievement.[1] Yet since the recession, the real value of teacher salaries (adjusted for inflation) has decreased in the majority of states.[2] In about half of all U.S. states, the average teacher does not even earn a living wage needed to support a family."

Reactions: goldmom
Unions wouldn't be necessary if employees were paid a living wage.

If unions are evil, the reason for why they exist is the first evil.

Power hungry, lol.
Maybe teachers could be paid a living wage if their schools were not filled with so many administrators and other frilly positions that have very little to do with actual teaching.
Our school district has 2 elementary principals, a Middle school principal, high school principal and an assistant HS principal. All of the principals make over 100K. Super. makes over $150K.
Example:
Guidance counselor in each of those buildings
Curriculum coordinators
a number of others that I can't even tell you what they do.
Cut administrative expenses and give savings to classroom teachers.

Other cost savings that could result in savings where the money could be used to bolster teacher salaries:
Middle school sporting events: Why are Jr. High Schools sending their teams on 100 mile bus trips to play games/events? Schools in Iowa can easily find ENOUGH events locally. (within an hour) Save on $4.00 a gallon diesel fuel and $25.00 hr. bus driver expense. Savings to teachers in the classroom. If a school has to play a local team 4-5 times to get enough games? Who gives a shit? It's competition and it's Jr. High school.

Cut down on school transportation offered. Many rural districts are sending buses out to rural areas and coming back in with less than 1/3 of the seats filled. Again, savings can go to teachers in the classroom. Let parents ride-share. Lots of $100 k pick up trucks driving to town everyday for coffee and other important business. Lift the one hour limit a student can be on the bus. You want a ride, deal with it.

Get rid of the NEA; Allocate 100% of that funding to schools to bolster ACTUALteacher salaries. Millions going to Liberal Bureaucrats only concerned with their cushy jobs.
Let the teachers teach. Give the power back to the classroom teachers. Cut the willy-nilly bullshit stuff and focus on academics. U.S. is falling behind.

Finally, drive around the State of Iowa. Look at all the shiny new stadiums, tracks, etc. with synthetic turfs and fancy video boards. Somehow schools find a way to get that accomplished.

Flipside:
There are some pretty damn good benefits that go along with teaching:
In many small towns in Iowa, teachers are some of the highest earners.
Good to great health and dental Ins.
Lots of time off.
Really, really, really good retirement benefits.
This is a real-life example of IPERS benefit for teachers:

22 year old starts teaching.
Teaches for 33 years.
Age 55.
Eligible for full retirement benefits under rule of 88, Years of service + age
Started teaching at 44K a few years ago.
Projected monthly retirement at age 55 is around 10K A MONTH. That projection is from IPERS. Add that to SSI. Wowza. Nice retirement.

Last edited:
Maybe teachers could be paid a living wage if their schools were not filled with so many administrators and other frilly positions that have very little to do with actual teaching.
Our school district has 2 elementary principals, a Middle school principal, high school principal and an assistant HS principal. All of the principals make over 100K. Super. makes over $150K.
Example:
Curriculum coordinators

Other cost savings that could result in savings where the money could be used to bolster teacher salaries:
Middle school sporting events: Why are Jr. High Schools sending their teams on 100 mile bus trips to play games/events? Schools in Iowa can easily find ENOUGH events locally. (within an hour) Save on $4.00 a gallon diesel fuel and $25.00 hr. bus driver expense. Savings to teachers in the classroom. If a school has to play a local team 4-5 times to get enough games? Who gives a shit? It's competition and it's Jr. High school.

Cut down on school transportation offered. Many rural districts are sending buses out to rural areas and coming back in with less than 1/3 of the seats filled. Again, savings can go to teachers in the classroom. Let parents ride-share. Lots of $100 k pick up trucks driving to town everyday for coffee and other important business. Lift the one hour limit a student can be on the bus. You want a ride, deal with it.

Get rid of the NEA; Allocate 100% of that funding to schools to bolster ACTUALteacher salaries. Millions going to Liberal Bureaucrats only concerned with their cushy jobs.
Let the teachers teach. Give the power back to the classroom teachers. Cut the willy-nilly bullshit stuff and focus on academics. U.S. is falling behind.

Finally, drive around the State of Iowa. Look at all the shiny new stadiums, tracks, etc. with synthetic turfs and fancy video boards. Somehow schools find a way to get that accomplished.

Flipside:
Lots of time off.

Teaches for 33 years.
Age 55.
Projected monthly retirement at age 55 is around 10K A MONTH. That projection is from IPERS. Add that to SSI. Wowza. Nice retirement.
If you think having school teachers being some of the “highest paid” folks in a town is a good thing…. You are nuts! That should be the #1 symptom that a community is dying when this is the case. No doctors, no lawyers, no successful entrepreneurs/businessmen making money… school teachers should not be “poor” but certainly not some of the highest earners in a town.

Example:
Curriculum coordinators
I can't tell - do you consider guidance counselors a wasteful expense? Same for curriculum coordinators - I've not heard of them too often in smaller districts, but they are a bit of a necessary evil in larger ones to make sure all classes are on the same page as much as possible so that as students progress through school you don't have them at different levels of development owing to not being taught at the same pace.

While I'm sure there are always ways any bureaucracy can truly cut expenses; I'm also of the opinion we need to provide more funding to schools.

If you think having school teachers being some of the “highest paid” folks in a town is a good thing…. You are nuts! That should be the #1 symptom that a community is dying when this is the case. No doctors, no lawyers, no successful entrepreneurs/businessmen making money… school teachers should not be “poor” but certainly not some of the highest earners in a town.
With AI and robots coming at an unprecedented pace doctors will soon be a thing of the past to be replaced by technicians who program and maintain the bots. Attorneys are next in line to be replaced.

With AI and robots coming at an unprecedented pace doctors will soon be a thing of the past to be replaced by technicians who program and maintain the bots. Attorneys are next in line to be replaced.
Not so fast, my friend!
It’s important to UNDERSTAND that AI and robots are limited by their program(mer)s…..”Garbage in…..garbage out”. Because of the “human factor” technology will always be limited.

Not so fast, my friend!
It’s important to UNDERSTAND that AI and robots are limited by their program(mer)s…..”Garbage in…..garbage out”. Because of the “human factor” technology will always be limited.
Ever visit an auto factory? Robots have replaced just about everyone. Same thing at many Amazon Warehouses. Doctors especially surgeons are going the way of the dinosaur much like attorneys will in the future.

I did not say it was a good thing. It is reality. Get out to rural Iowa. Most of the small towns DO NOT have Doctors, Lawyers and other higher paying professions. They may have a small bank, a convenience store and two or three bars.,

I can't tell - do you consider guidance counselors a wasteful expense? Same for curriculum coordinators - I've not heard of them too often in smaller districts, but they are a bit of a necessary evil in larger ones to make sure all classes are on the same page as much as possible so that as students progress through school you don't have them at different levels of development owing to not being taught at the same pace.

While I'm sure there are always ways any bureaucracy can truly cut expenses; I'm also of the opinion we need to provide more funding to schools.
Only if the funding is directly given to "the boots on the ground". In room, classroom teachers. The education bureaucracy is bloated like most governmental agencies.
When I went through school, there was no such position as a "curriculum coordinator". And our school needs 3 of them in that department? What do the Principals do?

Lots of great young people in the teaching profession are trying very hard to work with a totally screwed up generation of kids. They deserve more money. Lots of older teachers getting out because they can't deal with the f'up mess that the Liberals in charge have created.

Spend some time in your local public school and see what the teachers have to deal with. If you are over 40, you will not recognize what is going on. (by the way, I am there every day)

Reactions: goldmom
I did not say it was a good thing. It is reality. Get out to rural Iowa. Most of the small towns DO NOT have Doctors, Lawyers and other higher paying professions. They may have a small bank, a convenience store and two or three bars.,
Yep….Kim’s and Iowa Republicans “Iowa”…poverty and economic failures abound. At one time blubber, these ghost towns used to have professionals….its a phenomena of the past 30 years.

Those of us with an IQ above room temperature will probably be crying.
America will be the loser if these two gems are truly our choices.

Example:
Curriculum coordinators

Flipside:
Lots of time off.

Teaches for 33 years.
Age 55.
This is good stuff.
Also restore structure and behavioral standards and expectations. Kids show up after being dropped off at 6:45 AM and are fed breakfast and lunch and an after school snack (which is dinner for some) and picked up at 5:55 by very often a single mom. The kids have spent their years being raised in day care settings by minimums wage workers who have little training in early childhood.
Teachers are expected to “raise” these kids and the limitations put on them by the school system is unrealistic and hurts not only the teachers but the kids as well.

Randi Weingarten is a politician and a fraud. But she’s making bank!

I don’t know of anyone who thinks they’re rich at $66K a year.

Example:
Curriculum coordinators

Flipside:
Lots of time off.

Teaches for 33 years.
Age 55.
While I disagree with the POV, factually most of this seems about right. But let's add some context.

Administrators: I don't know what the needs of the school district are so I don't know if the district you described is accurate or not. However, you do need enough administrators to properly evaluate the teachers and make sure the various parts of the school are functioning properly. Honestly, it's amazing that very few people suggest eliminating extra curriculars from schools as the amount of resources used to maintain them is huge, including an administrator salary with the athletic director. As for the salary, the dirty little secret is if you aren't offering around $100k starting salary for an administrator with no experience (minimum), you aren't getting anyone to apply for that job. There is actually a shortage of quality administrators. The other dirty little secret is the job of an administrator actually kind of sucks. You spend all day dealing with other people's problems and in most situations whatever decision you make is going to piss someone off who ends up complaining to you and then a board member. Your decisions are constantly critiqued by a board member and in many cases some people on the board are there precisely because they don't like you. On the other hand, if an administrator is doing their job well, hardly anyone even remembers that you are there and the school almost seems like it runs itself (which isn't true, obviously, but that's the perception).

I'm not sure why you think eliminating the NEA will raise teacher salaries. Union dues come out of teacher salaries. It's a fee they choose to pay so it will have no affect on teacher salaries. You might as well say that canceling Disney+ subscriptions will raise teacher salaries.

For retirement income, it makes sense that the monthly payout 30 years from now will be much higher than they are right now. That's how inflation works. Will it be $10k a month? I don't know, but it will be a number that seems really high by today's standards. But then what people are getting paid now is really high but the standards of 30 years ago. If you want teachers though, you need to offer these benefits. Illinois changed the retirement formula for new teachers over a decade ago and now hardly anyone is going into teaching. There is a good chance that I will still be able to work full time with benefits even after I retire because there is nobody behind me to replace me in my position. I don't know how willing I will be to do this, but it will be an option.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I have no doubt that these things will certainly impact the health and legal fields, however what they will do is increase the ability of individual lawyers and doctors to handle a larger work load. AI will do most of the grunt work, like initial diagnosing of patients (it's already doing that actually) or simple law work like writing up wills, but you will still need a human to oversee what the AI is doing. While this would have the effect of reducing the size of the workforce in those professions, the number of available workers in those fields have been decreasing for decades anyway. That doesn't mean that some lawyers won't lose their jobs, but it may not be as bad as some might have thought 30 years ago. Although there is such a huge doctor shortage right now I doubt any of them lose their job with AI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT