ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Starting QB

Not sure what’s so funny but they’re 3-2 and been curb stomped by Utah where they scored 11 points and just got their asses handed to them by a mediocre Kentucky team. He’s not good.
LMAO - you do realize he is ranked the 24th best QB in the COUNTRY, right? 164.23 QB Rating.

here is a linky ink for ya:

Where in my OP did I claim he was leading FLA to a NC?

Cade wasn't doing much to impress, obviously the injury was part of that but his arm seemed pretty average and he was off target on quite a few throws. I'm not even remotely sold on Hill either. I'm hoping it's Labas or Lainez.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Not sure what’s so funny but they’re 3-2 and been curb stomped by Utah where they scored 11 points and just got their asses handed to them by a mediocre Kentucky team. He’s not good.
If I remember right his first game for Wisconsin he threw for 4 or 5 TDs.

What year was that QB battle?
I think it was like 2013. Rudock (2013) then to (2015) Beathard then to (2017) Stanley then to (2020) Petras then to (2023) Cade. Someone check my years there…. Not saying there wasn’t controversy throughout that time (like Rudock vs Beathard) but we all sorta knew who the QB was going to be by August during that time. Wonder if we’ll have the same clarity for 2024 or if it will truly be an August camp wildcard!

Reactions: MikeyHawk
I’m not trying to poop on the kid but what’s the big love for Labas? We haven’t seen anything that I recall that says he’s so decisively better than Hill or anyone else.
I hope all our QBs kill it but I’m just wondering why some have such a desire to award him the job.

If Labas can't beat out Petras, and can't beat out Cade or Hill, then I don't feel like I need to see him.
At the end of the season, assuming worst case for Cade and it’s an ACl, he is likely out until fall camp. In that case, unless Hill tales off, there should absolutely be an open qb competition in the spring, including Resar if he’s an early enrollee.

I will say that I have liked what I have seen out of Deacon so far. He sort of reminds me of another big Hawkeye great QB, Nathan Chandler. Seems to be decisive with the ball…and honestly on some of his play fakes and movements seems to be surprisingly agile.

There was also at least 1-2 plays the other night where you could visibly see him go through progressions and zip the ball somewhere. The wideout dropped it….but hey….we’re not USC, can’t be greedy.
Hill looked decent and with more reps and work with the starters could be very serviceable. Vines had two drops, one of which was on the numbers. Seems to me there also were a couple misses that should have been caught.

I'm not sure Cade is a guy you cam totally rely on. To me he seems to be one of those who is injured all the time.

Just how some guys are built.

Are you presuming Joe Labas is leaving? I for one would like to see him in the mix for starter next spring.
I don’t know how he is not in the mix now? I also don’t know how a serious DI QB weighs 260 lbs. Hill needs to lose 20 lbs next year.

Reactions: littlez
This is a great question. Probably too soon but so many factors to settle out. Poor kid - really feel bad for him and am rooting for him. He wasn’t shying away from any challenge - and that’s fantastic in a QB. Put me in the camp we never got to see what he was capable of after the kids day injury.

- Will he heal in time?
- Does he have it in him to rehab and come all the way back again?
- Will he be guaranteed the starting job, and if not does he come back to win it or go somewhere and know he’ll start his last year?
- Will we have the same coaching staff?
- Does he regret his decision after seeing the same offensive struggles as last year?
Kinda see where you’re going here. Kirk’s MO is to give Cade back the starting role next year regardless of all other factors this year including success of Hill or others for the remainder of this season. Add it to the list of frustrating things this staff likes to do.

Reactions: IowasLaw
Cade wasn't doing much to impress, obviously the injury was part of that but his arm seemed pretty average and he was off target on quite a few throws. I'm not even remotely sold on Hill either. I'm hoping it's Labas or Lainez.
Agree on Cade, I realize I’m repeating myself a lot on here regarding Cade but I can’t help but be confused by anyone wanting Cade based on this seasons body of work. I think Hill if nothing else has added some toughness to the offensive team mojo and that’s something we’ve lacked since Petras took over a few seasons ago.

Are you presuming Joe Labas is leaving? I for one would like to see him in the mix for starter next spring.
Yes, it should be an open competition for all the QBs that are on the team. Lainez, spelling???, is there, Labas has the same amount of game time right now as Hill.

Cade, with the gimpy legs, did not look great but he was able to move around the pocket. If he is 100% and could rollout and bootleg, run a zone read run for even 5 yards once in awhile, and run out of the pocket to escape and get positive yards, I think he would be #1 based on his passed experience and numbers. He was very accurate at Mich, put they have better receivers also.

At the end of the season, assuming worst case for Cade and it’s an ACl, he is likely out until fall camp. In that case, unless Hill tales off, there should absolutely be an open qb competition in the spring, including Resar if he’s an early enrollee.
Sure, have an open competition, but it's not like I need to see him if he's been in the system and gets beat out by 2 transfers.

It was just announced that Cade is out for the remainder of the year. He has 1 year of eligibility remaining. It begs the question, assuming Hill finishes the season as a below avg Big 10 QB and the Hawks win 9 games, who do you want as your starter next year? Many will be quick to say Cade all the way, let's look at the numbers.

Through 5 games, Cade ranks 13th in the Big 10 in yards per game (101 yards: the top 10 QBs in the conference all average at least 175 yards or more), 13th in completion percentage (hitting just 51% in a dink and dump offense while the top 9 guys are all over 60%), and 13th in passer rating. Obviously, Hill's stats aren't much better, completing just 43% of his passes thus far, but you never know how much he'll improve.

With Brian calling the plays and QB guru Budmyr teaching mechanics, there is no guarantee Hill will ever get any better. Odds are, he will regress and become more conservative. But he's a big strong guy with some mobility and he's willing to throw the ball down the field.

If Cade is back to his gimpy and immobile early season form in the spring and Hill is slightly improved from his Michigan State debut, I'm probably giving the nod to Hill as the lesser of two evils. However, the coaching staff needs to do some soul searching and either once again rely on the portal (because they cannot develop QBs) or play one of the freshmen early and often. Marco Lainez is a 3 star who had some decent offers like Illinois and Maryland. Next year's QB recruit, Resar, is another 3 star with mostly MAC caliber offers and Indiana.

Without a QB next year, there will be no run game against decent opponents. Without a run game, we could be looking at a dumpster fire going up against the likes of Ohio State, Washington, USC, etc. The time is now to start thinking about next year's QB.
With this OC, scheme, play calling, OL, WRs and lack of running game, Tom Brady couldn’t make this offense go.

Sure, have an open competition, but it's not like I need to see him if he's been in the system and gets beat out by 2 transfers.

Quite honestly, I would. We’ve only seen Cade healthy for about 2 weeks total. If Deacon shows us anything, or one of the other guys steps up in the spring I think the competition should be there in the fall. Especially at the moment when we don’t know what the timeframe is for Cades recovery.

Reactions: hawkguy77
Kirk announced today Cade plans on returning next year. Is that a good thing? He'll be more gimpy next year than he was this year...plus will not have practiced for yet another year. At this point, retirement seems like his best bet. Give someone else a shot.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Will any NIL resources be spent to support Cade's recovery? Last summer, the Swarm paid for Cade and a bunch of WRs to spend time training in California. If Cade finds some ACL-whisperer he wants to visit, will the Swarm foot the bill?

And is that a good allocation of resources?

Kirk announced today Cade plans on returning next year. Is that a good thing? He'll be more gimpy next year than he was this year...plus will not have practiced for yet another year. At this point, retirement seems like his best bet. Give someone else a shot.

Not for nothing, but assuming a full recovery, there’s zero reason Cade can’t return to his normal level of mobility. We’re all judging him base on never seeing him at 100%.

When healthy he’s a good quarterback.

Anyone remember Phil Suess? Wasn't he a 5th string d-back until HF was hired.

New coaching staff next year. There will be significant changes to the roster, as there are with most coaching changes. It's a toss-up, unless Hill surprises us this season.

Will any NIL resources be spent to support Cade's recovery? Last summer, the Swarm paid for Cade and a bunch of WRs to spend time training in California. If Cade finds some ACL-whisperer he wants to visit, will the Swarm foot the bill?

And is that a good allocation of resources?
Just to be clear, Swarm was a contributor on the California trip. The McNamara's, and others, also helped fund the time spent with Jordan Palmer, who Cade has been training with for 9 years.

I would presume Cade will be traveling back to LA next week having Dr. ElAttrache perform surgery.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I think we can safely say Hill is NOT the guy next year. And we cannot rely on a guy who’s been hurt for a year and a half and just tore his acl. So who is it going to be??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT