ADVERTISEMENT

Nice win boyyyyyyys!

All sorts of crazy shit will happen in the conference tournaments - always does. Iowa has to take care of it's own business. I think one of two things needs to happen:

1) Beating Illinois would be enormous. Beat Illinois and win one in the B1G and Iowa should be in
2) Even if Iowa loses to Illinois, but wins two in the B1G, they should be in

Strong finish with some quality road wins really helps. The other thing that helps is that other bubble teams (TTech for example) are headed in the other direction. Getting in this year would be huge for the young guys. Need to get a stud big man from the portal heading into next year and we'd have a chance to make some noise.
Agree, but don't you know we have the all powerful Ryan Mulvey coming off a redshirt season of huge improvement (sarcasm)...

Good Tony Perkins (not bad Tony)
Good Payton Sandfort (not inconsistent Sandfort)
More Josh Dix minutes to let him shine (without a short hook)
The revelation and evolution of Owen Freeman
The minutes and juice from the freshman (Pryce, Dembele, Harding) in the first half

This has been the difference in the season.

IF (big if) Pat can get hot and put in the defensive work and if Krikke can find favorable matchups and get his offense back, we might be able to do something here.

season doesn't end in February. The Feb Fade has not been a thing since the Uthoff/Gessell/Clemmons/Woody/Jok team went from leading B1G to limping into NCAA touney.
And when you coach at a place for more than a decade, there will be some fade years and some years where the team grows to the finish.

I saw the stats from yesterday. Freeman 4/5. Why don't they run more plays for him with those shooting numbers? Only played half the game and no foul trouble. Just seems like he could draw a lot of fouls and open things up for the guards driving. ????

I saw the stats from yesterday. Freeman 4/5. Why don't they run more plays for him with those shooting numbers? Only played half the game and no foul trouble. Just seems like he could draw a lot of fouls and open things up for the guards driving. ????
No foul trouble? I thought he had 2 after 8 minutes or so and got his third early in the second half.

He’s a post up/put back player right now. They had a stretch yesterday where things were going well with him on the bench. It helped avoid him getting into foul trouble. Maybe next year he can improve his FT shooting a bit to where you can keep him on the floor when closing out games. He’s not bad but like to see him 70%+ next season.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The difference in the game was Iowa’s starters were better than NW starters.
Well in all fairness the guys NW was ABLE to start. They started the game without two starters, and lost a third right after the half.

He’s a post up/put back player right now. They had a stretch yesterday where things were going well with him on the bench. It helped avoid him getting into foul trouble. Maybe next year he can improve his FT shooting a bit to where you can keep him on the floor when closing out games. He’s not bad but like to see him 70%+ next season.
That and he's fallen in love with dribbling too much from the free throw line and then turning his back when he gets close to the basket. You can't do that against a team with veteran guards like Buie. He just came in and stripped. Big o. will learn....

That and he's fallen in love with dribbling too much from the free throw line and then turning his back when he gets close to the basket. You can't do that against a team with veteran guards like Buie. He just came in and stripped. Big o. will learn....
Every time I see him dribbling out on the perimeter I start thinking “give it up”! Right now I just want to see him with his back to the basket moves (which are pretty darn good), put backs, and kick outs.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
You beat me to it but it’s still not a bad move to have Patrick in there at that time. For the most part he’s been good from the line and has especially been good in clutch situations.
Patrick is also the guy Fran trusts the most to inbound the ball against the press. Earlier in the year he was having Payton do it, but he made a couple boneheaded turnovers early on and has pretty routinely put Patrick in that spot since. Don't think Pat has had a single turnover trying to get the ball in this year from my memory.

It's a very solid accomplishment considering what he inherited - but it's a 20 game schedule not 14. 10-4 > 10-10. I immensely enjoy watching this team play...
It’s 6 straight seasons of being .500 or better in-conference. The last Iowa coach to do that? Bucky O’Connor (he had 7). In fairness, Dr. Tom may very well have done it and had more than Bucky were it not for the tragic death of Chris Street.

I just had a chance to watch the NW game. What a win! We're clicking on all cylinders right now!

And I really LOVED what Billy McKinney said in his jerey retirement ceremony remarks. Very impressive and right on the money!!!

Every time I see him dribbling out on the perimeter I start thinking “give it up”! Right now I just want to see him with his back to the basket moves (which are pretty darn good), put backs, and kick outs.
Back to the basket seems to be when he gets in the most trouble because he's not seeing the double teams coming.

yes, he has to kick out when doubled but by far his best move is the baseline spin to the hoop.
He's shown the league how good he can be one on one so now that he's a know commodity opponents have started sending a second defender at him.

So far he has really struggled to identify the second defender.

Patrick is also the guy Fran trusts the most to inbound the ball against the press. Earlier in the year he was having Payton do it, but he made a couple boneheaded turnovers early on and has pretty routinely put Patrick in that spot since. Don't think Pat has had a single turnover trying to get the ball in this year from my memory.
There are abundant detractors on here regarding Patrick’s play (some of it deserved) but I have no problem with him being on the court in the closing minutes when needing to protect a lead.

Make sense…😉
I suppose I should have wrote more but point being the starters rolled. The bench was rolled.

Krikke +16
Freeman +16
Dix +14
Perkins +13
Sandfort +14

Bench
McCaffery -11
Harding -13
Dembele -7
P Snadfort -7

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I suppose I should have wrote more but point being the starters rolled. The bench was rolled.

Krikke +16
Freeman +16
Dix +14
Perkins +13
Sandfort +14

Bench
McCaffery -11
Harding -13
Dembele -7
P Snadfort -7
Definitely a very good win - I went last year, and should have went this year! Oh well…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT