ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano

Had my first zima in 15-20 years at a minor league baseball game 2 weeks ago. Didn't even know it was still made.

The first was for nastalgia not sure why we had the second one or the third one ;)

Told the wife next time we are taking jolly ranchers along to throw in the cups and go really old school.
yeah im gonna need you to fork over some man cards. :pZima's and jolly ranchers is what my aunts used to drink when they played cards. .

Had my first zima in 15-20 years at a minor league baseball game 2 weeks ago. Didn't even know it was still made.

The first was for nastalgia not sure why we had the second one or the third one ;)

Told the wife next time we are taking jolly ranchers along to throw in the cups and go really old school.

Drinking Zima is like riding a moped or hooking up with a fat chic..really fun until your friends see you

The reality is a lot of Penn State fans have no idea about the perception of Penn State outside of their own personal bubbles, mostly contained to Pennsylvania. The perception of Penn State around the rest of the country is that they made the choice to protect and allow a pedophile to go unpunished and continue his life unrestricted, rather than risk hurting the program and legacy of a coach. They were willing to look the other way, because they didn't want to have the program look bad in any way. Is that totally accurate or a fair assessment? Maybe not, but it is a reality.

Another reality, if you bring this topic up on BWI, you will be banned. No questions asked. They will come to everyone else's board and say anything they want, but they will not tolerate anything on their board that is not in lock step with "the company line," so to speak. Which,by the way, is a big reason why so many Penn State fans still have no idea about the perception of Penn State outside of their own echo chambers/bubbles. BWI is just a constant repeating of the same 5 topics and identical opinions. Any different opinions are shut down and then blocked. That is why they have to go...ruin.... I mean... discuss.... topics on everyone else's boards, because they are not allowed to have different opinions on their own message board. Anything other than Cael is the greatest, PSU is the greatest, and PA is the greatest is not to be tolerated.

Just for some semblance of fact, but no one has been convicted of other than a misdeamenor, and I believe that was 1 count period. Not that that matters to your perspective of the national view.

Just for some semblance of fact, but no one has been convicted of other than a misdeamenor, and I believe that was 1 count period. Not that that matters to your perspective of the national view.
you are dreaming a little. One count? Google should be your friend. But, please, let this topic die a natural death.

Yes, and what they were convicted of was doing nothing which allowed Sandusky to molest 4 more boys. I guess that is nothing in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: perryerabegins
They sat on child abuse information for more then a decade, in name of winning. Misdemeanor.....they have to live with their decisions for the rest of their lives.

"The reality is a lot of Penn State fans have no idea about the perception of Penn State outside of their own personal bubble"

When you split hairs over multiple grown men and leaders at PSU going to the slammer for covering up the rape of children...Case. In. Point.

"The reality is a lot of Penn State fans have no idea about the perception of Penn State outside of their own personal bubble"

When you split hairs over multiple grown men and leaders at PSU going to the slammer for covering up the rape of children...Case. In. Point.

Auto- ignore, correct?

Earlier I applauded a post made by a PSU fan that acknowledged the scandal. No senseless effort was made to deny, defend or downplay it. No futile attempt was made to absolve Paterno. No pointless remarks were made about NCAA sanctions or the University's alumni. If more PSU supporters felt and responded like that poster, then maybe more people would just move on.

Now we have this post. And this poster is certainly not alone. This is why there are people across the country that view Penn State gear as a scarlet letter.

OJ wasn't convicted either.

What that man did to those boys ruined lives. It was found out, and should have stopped. People chose to keep quite and keep him in the program. It shouldn't have been contemplated at all, anyone with a decent mind would have put an end to it and other children would have been protected.

The actions taken by the university should be condemned by all. Most PSU fans did exactly that, but too many compromised with the actions of Joe Paterno, stating he did his job and reported it to the university. No, the moment he found out about it, his job changed and became protecting children from that beast and he failed. The university failed. While the wounds may have healed, the cuts were deep and a scar remains forever.

Do I have a problem with anyone wearing PSU gear, absolutely not. I know the person under it is more than likely outraged and ashamed of what happened. However we must remember it, and ensure that nothing like that happens again.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have with all of this is WE THINK we know more than we do. Are there guilty people involved in that situation? Absolutely. Should all of those guilty be strung up? Probably.

BUT, we don't KNOW exactly who is EXACTLY guilty of what. We just THINK we do. The only one we know for sure is Sandusky. After that, you DO NOT know who knew what and when they knew it. You don't know what they did or didn't do about it.

The biggest problem I have with Social Media is how quick to judge and think we know more than the actual court system. I have enough faith in the court system that they are going to severely punish anyone involved in withholding evidence in a Child Molestation case. Because, guess what? You don't keep your job as a judge or prosecutor if you are inept or don't follow through. Those positions actually require votes to maintain. People don't vote you back in with that negative publicity.

So, if they can't get the evidence to prosecute these people, how does someone sitting behind a computer know more? You don't. You just THINK you do.

There were definitely more people guilty of wrongdoing than were punished. But, what we don't know, God does. Whether you believe in Him or not. He will take care of it in the end.

And now for something completely different...

IMG_0224.jpg

Since we're no longer talking about Suriano, anyone have any good recipes for smoked chicken wings? :rolleyes:

I love me some wings.

As of late, I've been lightly dusting wings with smoked paprika, cumin, ancho chili powder and garlic powder before baking on cookie sheet @420* for just over an hour, turning every 15-20 minutes.

To smoke wings, I would lightly brine for a number of hours, dust with above ingredients and smoke at low temp for 2-3 hours using apple wood or mesquite.

The biggest problem I have with all of this is WE THINK we know more than we do. Are there guilty people involved in that situation? Absolutely. Should all of those guilty be strung up? Probably.

BUT, we don't KNOW exactly who is EXACTLY guilty of what. We just THINK we do. The only one we know for sure is Sandusky. After that, you DO NOT know who knew what and when they knew it. You don't know what they did or didn't do about it.

The biggest problem I have with Social Media is how quick to judge and think we know more than the actual court system. I have enough faith in the court system that they are going to severely punish anyone involved in withholding evidence in a Child Molestation case. Because, guess what? You don't keep your job as a judge or prosecutor if you are inept or don't follow through. Those positions actually require votes to maintain. People don't vote you back in with that negative publicity.

So, if they can't get the evidence to prosecute these people, how does someone sitting behind a computer know more? You don't. You just THINK you do.

There were definitely more people guilty of wrongdoing than were punished. But, what we don't know, God does. Whether you believe in Him or not. He will take care of it in the end.
A former FBI director did a full investigation and told us what happened. Some preferred to call it a witch hunt and believe it is fake news.

Reactions: NRJ
Since we're no longer talking about Suriano, anyone have any good recipes for smoked chicken wings? :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of smoking brisket, ribs, pork butt, shoulder, and loins. But when it comes to wings I pull out the fryer. Wings have to be crispy on the outside. When I've tried to smoke wings they never get the right texture and take in the smoke so much I only taste smoke.

A former FBI director did a full investigation and told us what happened. Some preferred to call it a witch hunt and believe it is fake news.

Please remember, I am not arguing that there wasn't major wrongdoing. My point, was that we don't know exactly who did or didn't do what. Even the Freeh report was grossly incomplete leaving him to not be willing to say whether or not criminal wrongdoing was evident on the Officials' parts.

1.) I simply think it is ridiculously unfair and inaccurate to judge PSU as a whole based on that horrible situation.
2.) We can't possibly, nor will we ever, know enough of what happened to truly criminalize what was done by anyone other than Sandusky and that is why I said it will all get sorted out properly in the end.

Reactions: V Mobile
we do know they didn't do enough.

The lumping of "they" is my point. We have the luxury of "Nancy Grace-ing" this situation, while it isn't so simple.

This is such a bad topic that I am going to bow out after this , but I just want to say that I believe in people enough that they wouldn't willingly allow a pediphile to continue doing so when they know it is going on. Did they mess up how they handled it once they knew? Almost certainly. Was the intent to cover up a crime or let it continue? I simply can't believe that.

The lumping of "they" is my point. We have the luxury of "Nancy Grace-ing" this situation, while it isn't so simple.

This is such a bad topic that I am going to bow out after this , but I just want to say that I believe in people enough that they wouldn't willingly allow a pediphile to continue doing so when they know it is going on. Did they mess up how they handled it once they knew? Almost certainly. Was the intent to cover up a crime or let it continue? I simply can't believe that.
let it die. Just let it die.

Place the ribs in a plastic bag with some sauce and warm in a hot water bath.

Do NOT microwave them!

Put them in a glass casserole dish. Pour some apple juice in the dish. Cover with foil. Reheat in the oven at 190 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

Obviously this takes quite a bit of time but it is well worth it. My dad's smoked ribs are top notch. I had to find a way to enjoy the leftovers. Through a lot of trial I have found this to work very well.

It was an attempt to look the other way and HOPE it went away. IT didn't.

It was an attempt to look the other way and HOPE others weren't involved or implicated. There were others, but in this case there was little stomach to prosecute victims who became predators themselves and follow leads that no one dared follow. There were others who knew and never came forward publicly, thus escaping official scrutiny (are these men and WOMEN, the true monsters?)

In the circles of power at Penn State, the truth was known for decades by enough people that the real question is not whether people knew what was going on, but why was it was not stopped or exposed sooner. If you think this scandal is over, well as they say, the ugliest of truths are often the hardest to accept. However, they do have a consistent way of finding the light of day at some point. The point at which that truth is revealed usually has an inverse relationship to existing power. The powerful, while in power, can hide the worst of crimes until they are no longer in power, and then we start to see the truth emerge--slowly. Those choosing to attend Penn State University can not claim ignorance at this point. Those that do need to be held accountable for their choice. When the truth is fully revealed, I will not accept the ignorance claims, not this time.

This story has a lot of parallels to our current state of affairs.

No, they certainly do. I ran into it myself in the early days while wearing PSU gear. I reminded every one of those people that their school and community has a few hundred pedophiles running around on campus every day, so don't cast too many of those stones. 1 in 20 men is estimated to have actual or latent pedophile tendencies. I don't say any of this to dispel the whole PSU thing, but to say that there are plenty of bad people in PA, Iowa and elsewhere.
Speaking of self analysis, best to keep one's darkest desires and actions out of the public eye. It worked at Penn State University for several decades.

An average Penn State supporter or student is a good person, with the intention to do the traditionally accepted, morally correct thing, and who is trying to do these right things day after day. This does not necessarily apply to those at the top of the Penn State food chain. The radical thinking within Penn State's elite, when this syndicate was first brought to public attention, was that they had merely misconstrued the national wave of "coming out of the closet" with admitting one their own's perversions. For some of them, they boiled down the "bad press" to a matter of simply choosing the wrong time to come clean. Before you dismiss this, read on. Some have argued that these power brokers at Penn State University were thinking the public, outside of the Happy Valley cult, would not recognize the utter perversion and lack of decency, because as they saw it, the tide had turned against such antiquated relationship rules. The academic bubble world of insanity had infected Penn State at the highest levels. Yes! they were and are that far removed from what most of us would call a normal way of viewing events.

Most people from Penn State University are good people trying to do the right thing day in and day out without reading more into events than what they are told to believe, as are the vast majority of Penn State supporters here on this forum. It's easy to see where these good intentioned folk go astray.

Do NOT microwave them!

Put them in a glass casserole dish. Pour some apple juice in the dish. Cover with foil. Reheat in the oven at 190 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

Obviously this takes quite a bit of time but it is well worth it. My dad's smoked ribs are top notch. I had to find a way to enjoy the leftovers. Through a lot of trial I have found this to work very well.

I would never use the microwave for this. Who takes a warm bath in the microwave?

Reactions: whejoe
Speaking of self analysis, best to keep one's darkest desires and actions out of the public eye. It worked at Penn State University for several decades.

An average Penn State supporter or student is a good person, with the intention to do the traditionally accepted, morally correct thing, and who is trying to do these right things day after day. This does not necessarily apply to those at the top of the Penn State food chain. The radical thinking within Penn State's elite, when this syndicate was first brought to public attention, was that they had merely misconstrued the national wave of "coming out of the closet" with admitting one their own's perversions. For some of them, they boiled down the "bad press" to a matter of simply choosing the wrong time to come clean. Before you dismiss this, read on. Some have argued that these power brokers at Penn State University were thinking the public, outside of the Happy Valley cult, would not recognize the utter perversion and lack of decency, because as they saw it, the tide had turned against such antiquated relationship rules. The academic bubble world of insanity had infected Penn State at the highest levels. Yes! they were and are that far removed from what most of us would call a normal way of viewing events.

Most people from Penn State University are good people trying to do the right thing day in and day out without reading more into events than what they are told to believe, as are the vast majority of Penn State supporters here on this forum. It's easy to see where these good intentioned folk go astray.
Most of your post reads the same way if you substitute PSU for Iowa. That is all many of us are saying. A few do not speak for the whole even if they were near the top of the food chain. I don't for a minute believe that even a single university hasn't swept something unsavory under the rug. It is human nature. That is NOT to say that anyone else has swept something this unsavory under the rug, but the holier-than-thou posts are just that, and hold no water.

So Suriano is enrolled at Penn State? As expected, a big ol' nothing burger

So who's built their own smoker before? I've built a UDS that hasn't been used in about 2 years.

Most of your post reads the same way if you substitute PSU for Iowa. That is all many of us are saying. A few do not speak for the whole even if they were near the top of the food chain. I don't for a minute believe that even a single university hasn't swept something unsavory under the rug. It is human nature. That is NOT to say that anyone else has swept something this unsavory under the rug, but the holier-than-thou posts are just that, and hold no water.
You get what you put up with. I would not be supporting the University of Iowa in ANY WAY if this had happened in Iowa City instead of Happy Valley.

We all make our own choices to support institutions based upon our own set of experiences and values. My core values extend far beyond the reach of my favorite teams or alma mater.

Reactions: wasdt21
So Suriano is enrolled at Penn State? As expected, a big ol' nothing burger

So who's built their own smoker before? I've built a UDS that hasn't been used in about 2 years.
not a smoker, but in high school FFA built a 6' long covered grill out of an old propane tank for the football concession stand that they still use today-41 years and counting!

Reactions: wasdt21
ADVERTISEMENT