ADVERTISEMENT

NIU Grad Transfer DT - Jack Heflin

Bre21xUDirIbEETyMpN5sztj0TtBhksaw0X5Y-fzhC8NGUh7CZTzQTTD7I-jKOy_62zRxjl0Gt-bmm8-5WRY9Aso8jc3c6xUGwH9Z1UTkSNeULNEKj3ARTmJfw

In regards to balancing the scholly count... it's got to be difficult for the coaching staff when they have conversations with some kids and their place on the dept chart.

Fortunately? for most, the NCAA seems to be making it easier to find other landing spots for kids.

The guys that have left the Iowa program this spring all want more playing time. When you've been the BMOC in high school, riding the bench in college is a hell of an adjustment.

That said... Heflin looks like a very good addition.

The whole grad school thing is as absolute sham. Can someone do an investigation on how many players actually complete their grad school requirements?
Really? Its no more of a sham then the guys who are at a lot of schools in the SEC, or even OSU. Like most of those guys are actually going to school? Wasn't it the scholar Cardale Jones who said" we didn't come here to go to class"?

Really? Its no more of a sham then the guys who are at a lot of schools in the SEC, or even OSU. Like most of those guys are actually going to school? Wasn't it the scholar Cardale Jones who said" we didn't come here to go to class"?

No, his quote was way more eloquent than that. He said “We ain’t come here to play school”.

In regards to balancing the scholly count... it's got to be difficult for the coaching staff when they have conversations with some kids and their place on the dept chart.

Fortunately? for most, the NCAA seems to be making it easier to find other landing spots for kids.

The guys that have left the Iowa program this spring all want more playing time. When you've been the BMOC in high school, riding the bench in college is a hell of an adjustment.

That being said, is Heflin:

a) on Scholarship;
b) a Preferred Walk-On; or
c) picking up the check himself?

so, then is the DL, Nixon & heflin in the middle and Waggoner and Gohlston at the ends? I am sure there will be others, as they usually try for a 7-8 man rotation.

thoughts, anybody?

I think landing Heflin is integral to the success of the defensive line.... We have a lot of talent on the D line but they are mostly pass rushers checking in under 300 pounds... We don't really have space eaters on the line and getting Heflin at 6'4" 310+ this dude is gonna be eating up tons of space like what Carl Davis and LTP did.... pairing him up with Nixon is going to be huge because then Nixon can focus on pass rushing while Heflin can focus on clogging up space

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
This is awesome on so many levels.

Can you imagine being an OL, in the 4th QT and after hand fighting with this dude and DN on 1sr and 2nd having to deal with Wags and Lee on third? I don't care if you are 340 and full of cheese and bratwurst thats a long f***ing day at the office.

We saw last year how teams were able to bubble screen and run away from an edge rusher. If you can get pressure up the middle and have your DE's contain you can wreck teams.

(Good luck throwing that bubble over the center of the field and letting our linebackers WRECK YOUR RB)

Depth depth depth depth depth. Fresh bodies are less likely to get injured and even if a guy does take a knock we could rest any one of these guys and bring them back fully healthy later in the season

Super Pumped.

CP - totally agree. I think Nixon and CG are in pen the rest up for grabs. Should have an awesome rotation. This staff crushed the transfers with Cronk (presumed starter) and Heflin (starter/solid contributor). Seriously this staff is unreal in this cycle. Hope we get Fidone and Alt but if not offer Moore and Maro and take both of ISU’s best recruits.

Reactions: CP84
I love it. He should really help bridge the gap to guys like Shannon and Lee who might be ready to contribute, but not carry the load (and if they are ready, even better), especially in a year where we lost much of the off-season, which could set development back a bit.

He has 1 year of eligibility, right?

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
I love it. He should really help bridge the gap to guys like Shannon and Lee who might be ready to contribute, but not carry the load (and if they are ready, even better), especially in a year where we lost much of the off-season, which could set development back a bit.

He has 1 year of eligibility, right?
Yes, as a grad transfer I would assume he would be a one year guy, so sure hope were playing this fall.....:oops:

Reactions: dbrocket
This is awesome on so many levels.

Can you imagine being an OL, in the 4th QT and after hand fighting with this dude and DN on 1sr and 2nd having to deal with Wags and Lee on third? I don't care if you are 340 and full of cheese and bratwurst thats a long f***ing day at the office.

We saw last year how teams were able to bubble screen and run away from an edge rusher. If you can get pressure up the middle and have your DE's contain you can wreck teams.

(Good luck throwing that bubble over the center of the field and letting our linebackers WRECK YOUR RB)

Depth depth depth depth depth. Fresh bodies are less likely to get injured and even if a guy does take a knock we could rest any one of these guys and bring them back fully healthy later in the season

Super Pumped.
I'm super pumped too! Not unlike Cronk ... the depth supplied by Heflin is very valuable. Just as you rightly point out - it helps in terms of controlling snap-count ... helping to keep guys fresh.

However, just as important, it helps to reduce pressure on some of the younger guys as they're developing. Without Heflin ... we'd be staring down the problem of having to get more high quality reps out of Shannon ... before he's necessarily developed to a point of delivering consistently at that level.

Furthermore, the Hawks had Lee working quite a bit at DT ... however, he might actually be a better (and more valuable) asset for us at DE. That allows for our depth at DE to potentially look like Golston and VanValkenburg as the projected starters ... and then Evans, Waggoner, and Lee are pushing to see extended action while rotating in.

Iowa's 'ship count makes it look like adding Heflin shouldn't be a problem. I don't think any of the walk-ons are quite at a point where they've quite earned a 'ship yet. I look for Evans to probably be offered one by the end of the fall ... however, past that, I'm not certain.

A big get at a position of need. This may well be the most important player on the field out of this years class.

Cronk will battle it out with him for number of snaps, but my thought is we’re deeper on the o-line and our biggest worry is the D- line. Fewer snaps inside for guys who are a bit lighter can only be a good thing as they develop.

so, then is the DL, Nixon & heflin in the middle and Waggoner and Gohlston at the ends? I am sure there will be others, as they usually try for a 7-8 man rotation.

thoughts, anybody?
On the DL, I'm seeing something more like an 8 or 9 man rotation now. Toward the end of the season, Shannon was getting increasingly many quality snaps. Furthermore, last year, Schulte was a guy who was considered a "riser" on the DL.

At DT, I'm expecting us to give quality reps to Nixon, Heflin, Schulte, and Shannon.

At DE, I'm expecting us to give quality reps to Golston, VanValkenburg, Evans, Waggoner, and Lee.

What's curious is who we'll see on the DL in our pass-rush package (our version of the NASCAR package) - right now, I'd expect to see Golston, Evans, Nixon, and Lee.

The whole grad school thing is as absolute sham. Can someone do an investigation on how many players actually complete their grad school requirements?

So you think it's a sham to learn without that process ending in a degree? Interesting. How many nonathletes do you suppose attend as undergrads without getting a degree? And how many nonathletes attend grad school without earning a degree? Do you think that should be illegal? LOL

Learning is never a sham.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT