ADVERTISEMENT

No Kem next year?

While I really hope Kem stays, I get why he would be ready to move on. If he goes our team total will most likely take a hit as there is really almost no upside to the points he scored this year and a lot of downside. I love Kennedy and he is going to be a stud, but I doubt he puts up Kem's points in his freshman campaign (pretty tall task). Who knows how it will all shake out.

Reactions: Jrjt0518 and burk11
While I really hope Kem stays, I get why he would be ready to move on. If he goes our team total will most likely take a hit as there is really almost no upside to the points he scored this year and a lot of downside. I love Kennedy and he is going to be a stud, but I doubt he puts up Kem's points in his freshman campaign (pretty tall task). Who knows how it will all shake out.
Kemerer leaving University of Iowa wrestling, maybe? When the tough get going, the going gets tough.

One problem might be that he really doesn't have any school left. He's got his masters now. What's he going to do, enroll in another master's program for just a year? Does he stay in school for an extra year after he finishes just to finish a second master's? 8 years of college?

One problem might be that he really doesn't have any school left. He's got his masters now. What's he going to do, enroll in another master's program for just a year? Does he stay in school for an extra year after he finishes just to finish a second master's? 8 years of college?
Surely they can get him in bowling, ballroom dancing, walking for fitness, etc

Reactions: 24 so far
My favorite Hawk leaving is a scary thought but if he does move on I don’t blame him. He has done a lot for us over the years. If he were to leave Kennedy/Brands can battle it out for the spot with Assad going 184. Would LOVE to get Griffith aboard but don’t know if that is possible. Kennedy is probably the best option we currently have he will remind you a lot of a big Desanto he’s going to come at you with everything he has and force his will on you. Is that enough to duplicate Kem’s points I don’t know but you guys are going to love what he brings to every match.

As stated I believe Kem has said earlier in the year he'd be back. My guess is he's back. Willie likes the shock factor and throwing around "inside" knowledge sometimes.
lol. how is this my fault?

it's just projections. i didn't say 'Kemerer 100% not coming back'. i said he may very well come back but i'm keeping him out.

1) because there were murmurs of it (although the same happened last summer and he came back

and

2) all the others have already declared they're coming back

geesh.

if he's back, i plug him in and that's that. no 'shock factor' at all here.

lol. how is this my fault?

it's just projections. i didn't say 'Kemerer 100% not coming back'. i said he may very well come back but i'm keeping him out.

1) because there were murmurs of it (although the same happened last summer and he came back

and

2) all the others have already declared they're coming back

geesh.

if he's back, i plug him in and that's that. no 'shock factor' at all here.
If there were rumors last summer, then I'd be shocked if he's back at this point.

There is nothing that says he cannot enroll to get another bachelors degree. Start out with the basic basket weaving, homebrewing, art interpretation, etc.

when there were rumors about Kem coming / not coming back last year i called him and he said that he was coming back but that there was a moment where he wasn't 100% sure so. for this set of rankings, i didn't call him b/c Cody Goodwin put out a tweet that Michael would announce in a week or so. just respecting his space and time to make a decision. didn't want to be a hound.

If there were rumors last summer, then I'd be shocked if he's back at this point.

also - let me say (and i said it on the show today) - that there were rumors (yes, i know, rumors) at NCAA's that his gf or wife got a big job out of state.

like i said - not sure - i hope he comes back - but we'll know for sure shortly

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
also - let me say (and i said it on the show today) - that there were rumors (yes, i know, rumors) at NCAA's that his gf or wife got a big job out of state.

like i said - not sure - i hope he comes back - but we'll know for sure shortly
That’s a lot of thinking if true!!! He is one of my favorite hawks along Ironsides McGinnis and Spencer. Hope it all works out either way.

Would hate to see kem go. Really fun wrestler to watch and easy to root for.
Agree. Only solace I can find if he leaves is that it will SLIGHTLY dampen the pain of losing all our other studs the next year, but that's going to be depressing as hell either way. But getting ahead of myself. He's still here, and Hawks are still Champs!

His R/S fr year he was an absolute bright spot in an otherwise dim (by our standards) lineup. He was the first of this current crop to step on the mat, and he quickly became a leader. You could see his potential.

Even though Kemdawg fell a bit short of what we ultimately desired for him he more than held up his end of the bargain. He represented the university well and wrestled hard while being offensive, exactly what we as fans hope for. If Saturday night was the last time I see him in that Iowa singlet, that’s what I’ll remember. Thanks Kem!

Ignorant post. He lost to the National Champ in both '19 & '21. Outside of those two losses and a few to Cenzo he has been absolutely dominant. He most definitely CAN win at 165.

The guy has never lost to a bum. I'm pretty sure freshman year he was unbeaten until big tens including a win of NC Joseph. Soph he beat Joseph in big finals was #1 seed and lost to eventual champ lewis who also beat Joseph and Sr. Marstellar. Last year he lost in the dual to Joseph and beat him a third time I'm the big finals and was #1 seed whem nationals were cancelled. This year was not healthy, still won big 10 tournament and lost to eventual champ and then injury defaults. He has had some bad luck with draws and being healthy but has proven he can beat elite talent. You don't go 3-1 vs Joseph unless you are good. You don't slop out 3 wins vs that guy.

My favorite Hawk leaving is a scary thought but if he does move on I don’t blame him. He has done a lot for us over the years. If he were to leave Kennedy/Brands can battle it out for the spot with Assad going 184. Would LOVE to get Griffith aboard but don’t know if that is possible. Kennedy is probably the best option we currently have he will remind you a lot of a big Desanto he’s going to come at you with everything he has and force his will on you. Is that enough to duplicate Kem’s points I don’t know but you guys are going to love what he brings to every match.
I selfishly want to see him come back and keep the shirt on Kennedy for another year, but if he does go I hope we see Kennedy. What I saw in him against Labriola was all I needed to see.
Kemerer will always go down as the great finisher. One of the best I have ever seen finish takedowns.

and he is a finance major if I recall? He knows it’s not profitable to stay in school.

someone also mentioned wifey got a good job outside of the Iowa city area.

he brought y’all a team title. Made Iowa wrestling cool again for kids from PA. He did his part and then some. Hope Rutgers can land a kid like him.

Reactions: el dub and wasdt21
He's certainly given his all to the program and has left his mark. Knowing what a driven guy he is though, I can't help but think walking away that close to the title and knowing he didn't wrestle his best match against a guy he already beat would haunt him.

He's good enough that he could continuing working out and wrestle a limited schedule and show up end of season when it matters and still likely finish at worst 2nd with bonus points along the way. Maybe consider taking minimum number of credit hours to be enrolled and hopefully they could give him scholarships to cover majority of expenses and allow him to go out on top and bring that with him the rest of his life.

I completely understand the financial evaluation of what may be best in that regard, but I would think for most people, having one more year of competing and coming out as an individual and team champion on top would be well worth delaying the next chapter of his life. If the team comes up a few point short next year, and he knows he could have gone, I would think that would really hurt a guy who was the first wrestler to really get the foundation of this current team laid. He helped get them to the top of the mountain. I would think he'd want to enjoy the view up their with his brothers one more year.

and he is a finance major if I recall? He knows it’s not profitable to stay in school.

someone also mentioned wifey got a good job outside of the Iowa city area.

he brought y’all a team title. Made Iowa wrestling cool again for kids from PA. He did his part and then some. Hope Rutgers can land a kid like him.

Always kind of the opposition to encourage one of our best to hang it up.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
smalls is just totally opening himself to getting scooped by the minnow. Damn journalistic integrity!

He's certainly given his all to the program and has left his mark. Knowing what a driven guy he is though, I can't help but think walking away that close to the title and knowing he didn't wrestle his best match against a guy he already beat would haunt him.
This. There's no way he shouldn't be a favorite (obviously) for the national championship next season. I would even say THE favorite because of how that last match will drive him. There is no way Kemdawg shouldn't be a national champion. If he walks away, he probably becomes the best Hawk in the Gable-Zalesky-Brands era to never win it. Maybe that's recency bias, but he's the most sound and the most dominant in his weight class to not win it that I can remember.

That’s a lot of thinking if true!!! He is one of my favorite hawks along Ironsides McGinnis and Spencer. Hope it all works out either way.
I assume you mean Jeff McGinness? He was awesome, I still don't fully understand what happened to him at 96 NCAAs...

Reactions: Jrjt0518
I completely understand the financial evaluation of what may be best in that regard, but I would think for most people, having one more year of competing and coming out as an individual and team champion on top would be well worth delaying the next chapter of his life. If the team comes up a few point short next year, and he knows he could have gone, I would think that would really hurt a guy who was the first wrestler to really get the foundation of this current team laid. He helped get them to the top of the mountain. I would think he'd want to enjoy the view up their with his brothers one more year.

Most people have not been grinding for as many years as he has. Most people, myself included, have a completely different perspective than a DI athlete. A fan's perspective is far removed from an athlete's perspective.

I assume you mean Jeff McGinness? He was awesome, I still don't fully understand what happened to him at 96 NCAAs...
I had the audacity to talk to him at the Target center after it was all over, and I asked him what happened. He humbly told me he just wasn't dedicated enough that year. Lost some drive. But he did come back with a vengeance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT