ADVERTISEMENT

No one blocked out on Maryland’s winning bucket.

Iowa lost the game in that 5 stupid minutes in the first half when Fran took all his starters out but Moss. His rotations are atrocious. Kudos to the kids for coming back despite their coach’s crazy impulses.
I agree. As bad as Mary was playing in the first 10 minutes of the game we should’ve been up by 11-15 points. Instead I think we were down 1.

We lost that game in the first 10 min of the game imo.

Re-watched it several times. That's the one and only place Fernando could have gotten that last rebound. Joe was a bit too far under the basket, and still he may have gotten a fingertip on it. It was that close. And Moss missed his shot by an inch or two.

But when you have to rely on the last possession to win, things won't always go your way.

Too many turnovers. Too many missed shots ... bunnies and jumpers.

Good effort on the boards, and yet still too many times they didn't block out.

A shame to lose that one at home. Make up for it somewhat with a win in Madison. I really expected Iowa to shoot well tonight and run Maryland outta the gym, but they never got going until the final minutes . . . again.

It had to happen because I gave Kriener a ton of credit earlier for a great boxout. I think it happened in the first half where as soon as the shot went up Kriener looked for his guy and created space. He grabbed the rebound, threw it out and we got a bucket.

So of course when he came in late I was excited... only to be let down.

why were you let down?

Re-watched it several times. That's the one and only place Fernando could have gotten that last rebound. Joe was a bit too far under the basket, and still he may have gotten a fingertip on it. It was that close. And Moss missed his shot by an inch or two.

But when you have to rely on the last possession to win, things won't always go your way.

Too many turnovers. Too many missed shots ... bunnies and jumpers.

Good effort on the boards, and yet still too many times they didn't block out.

A shame to lose that one at home. Make up for it somewhat with a win in Madison. I really expected Iowa to shoot well tonight and run Maryland outta the gym, but they never got going until the final minutes . . . again.
Don’t forget missed ft’s as well. I think by 4 of our top ft shooters as well.

Iirc, didn’t Bohannon, Garza, McCaffrey, & Baer all miss ft’s at some point in the game?

Cook shooting zero ft’s hurt us as well.

Iowa seems to always be poor at blocking out under McCaffrey. Doesn’t seem to be a point of emphasis like we fans were used to in the Dr. Tom years and Iowa was regularly one of the best rebounding teams in the nation.
there comes a point in time when we need to quit blaming the coach on fundamentals that these kids have been taught since probably 4th grade . box out is something they have heard 10,000 times . they should have known without being told how important it was to rebound with under 10 seconds to go .

It had to happen because I gave Kriener a ton of credit earlier for a great boxout. I think it happened in the first half where as soon as the shot went up Kriener looked for his guy and created space. He grabbed the rebound, threw it out and we got a bucket.

So of course when he came in late I was excited... only to be let down.
but he probably altered cowans layup attempt . someone needed to pick bruno and we did not do it .

A bunch of white jerseys standing around and under the hoop.
Kreiner had to leave Bruno to help out on the guard who had gotten into the lane. He did a good job , caused him to miss the layup , but gave Bruno an opening to follow the shot. Our other guys were too far under the rim or not close enough to block him out. Bruno is good, and so is Maryland.

but he probably altered cowans layup attempt . someone needed to pick bruno and we did not do it .

I'd have to watch it again. I only remember what I saw live. I know he forced him into a bad angle but I don't remember him leaving his feet to where he couldn't have boxed Fernando. That said, all our guys could have helped.

Iirc, didn’t Bohannon, Garza, McCaffrey, & Baer all miss ft’s at some point in the game?

He does a lot of things well, but Baer is not a good FT shooter for some reason.

there comes a point in time when we need to quit blaming the coach on fundamentals that these kids have been taught since probably 4th grade . box out is something they have heard 10,000 times . they should have known without being told how important it was to rebound with under 10 seconds to go .

I actually agree with you but the reality is there are some coaches that put more emphasis on certain things and it doesn’t seem to be a huge emphasis for McCaffrey’s teams. I had coaches growing up that focused more in some things compared to others. These players should know how to do that by now in their career and it should be second nature. Just like inbound plays. McCaffrey’s teams usually have really good inbound sets on the offensive end and I’m guessing that’s because he puts a big emphasis on it and they practice it a lot.

Missed two front ends of 1 on 1s in teh first half

I agree. As bad as Mary was playing in the first 10 minutes of the game we should’ve been up by 11-15 points. Instead I think we were down 1.

We lost that game in the first 10 min of the game imo.
Some basketball novice idiot on this thread is talking about how the coach is not to be blamed for this loss as the players are taught the fundamentals.
The players can’t do anything about the stupid rotations the coach uses, the momentum killing mass substitutions that completely alter the pace and direction of the game.
I totally agree with you, we lost the game in the first half.

There are very few games where you can't play coulda, shoulda... after it is over. Mary Land is a very talented team and plays really good defense. Hawks played good defense for most of the game, but their shooters had off nights, and Luka is still in a funk. I think Mary Land had something to do with that.

Any objective observer would give Cowan credit for taking the ball to the hoop, and Bruno for following him down the lane. Kriener left Bruno to successfully challenge the shot, and no one was quick enough to block out Bruno, which is easier said than done. Usually JoeW and Baer are pretty good at putting themselves between a man and the basket, but Baer was coming in from the corner and JoeW just couldn't get it done. Joe didn't seem to be himself the entire game, and I wonder how much his back is bothering him. Does anyone have any info on what happened and is going on with his back?

I think JBo was trying to do too much down the stretch and at the end of the game, but after the past few games, I can't complain. Going down to the end with JBo, Joe and Luka all having off games offensively, I think the Hawks did well to almost win. For a second at the end, I thought Moss was going to be the hero, but it just didn't happen. The push by the MD defender on Moss didn't help.

Hawks need to not let one game impact the next one, and beat the snot of IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Our bigs do not know how to block out and it cost us this game.
It all started with JBO letting Cowen into the paint uncontested and that started a domino effect as Kreiner had to leave his man. No way Fran should have had JBO matched up with Cowen in that situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT