ADVERTISEMENT

Oct 31, 2022: Fran brings up putting Students behind the Benches (Beth wants students around the court). Future Renovation of Carver-Hawkeye Arena?

I've been saying this for years now. Let's do it ... most of the B1G has gone this route and it adds to the atmosphere. Move a few blue hairs up closer to the ice cream machine and restrooms.
The thing is that for most games there are a lot of empty seats in the first 10-15 rows down eac side. I had seats in row 14 for almost 30 years and hated seeing that. It got markedly worse during the Alford-Lickliter stretch, but only recovered partially after that. I really wish that the AD would look at which seats are regularly left empty to see about moving those people somewhere less desired.

The thing is that for most games there are a lot of empty seats in the first 10-15 rows down eac side. I had seats in row 14 for almost 30 years and hated seeing that. It got markedly worse during the Alford-Lickliter stretch, but only recovered partially after that. I really wish that the AD would look at which seats are regularly left empty to see about moving those people somewhere less desired.
They are going to have to pry my 2nd row seats behind the Iowa bench from my cold dead hands. I don't sit on my hands. I cheer like crazy.

I think it would ... and those students turn in to some of your most loyal season ticket holders and donors down the road.

as the first 1,000 students filled up those seats, where would be the best place to put the overflow (hopefully there would be one)

its interesting Fran brings this up; hopefully this is part of ongoing discussions on making CHA more of a home court advantage

as the first 1,000 students filled up those seats, where would be the best place to put the overflow (hopefully there would be one)

its interesting Fran brings this up; hopefully this is part of ongoing discussions on making CHA more of a home court advantage
After the first 1,000 they could go with first 15 rows behind the basket and up to the baseline. That would get it loud and look great on TV. Put the band in there and call it good.

Reactions: AlvySinger
go-do-it.gif

Fran has had 13 years to make this happen and he hasn't used his inside job position to get it accomplished, and yes, if it took a little blackmailing so be it. Fran could care less about the students or for that matter anything out side of his inner basketball family other then his fund raisers for cancer. That doesn't bring in students to the games.
What happened to the Black and Gold preseason extravaganza that got the fans excited for the upcoming seasons. Fran took that away after Woodbury and Gesell signed on the dotted line.
As I said, Frans had ample time to have half of the student moved behind the player benches and hasn't even come close to making it happen, not once and I'll be dead and buried before the next coach or AD ever attempts to improve the game day experience by making that happen. Talk is cheap, action get's it done!

I fail to see where we're going to find that first 1,000 students. It's going to be a bad look if they designate 500 spots in that area for students and 50 of them show up.

Fran has had 13 years to make this happen and he hasn't used his inside job position to get it accomplished, and yes, if it took a little blackmailing so be it. Fran could care less about the students or for that matter anything out side of his inner basketball family other then his fund raisers for cancer. That doesn't bring in students to the games.
What happened to the Black and Gold preseason extravaganza that got the fans excited for the upcoming seasons. Fran took that away after Woodbury and Gesell signed on the dotted line.
As I said, Frans had ample time to have half of the student moved behind the player benches and hasn't even come close to making it happen, not once and I'll be dead and buried before the next coach or AD ever attempts to improve the game day experience by making that happen. Talk is cheap, action get's it done!
I mean come on. I've been critical of aspects of Fran's coaching but this is silly. Fran was hired at the worst part of program history over the past 60 years. The job his current boss hired him to do was get the program to respectable and do so while not cheating.

Watch the podcast/show linked to in the first post here. Fran provides a reasoned response when asked about the student section. There are considerations about what donors were promised in the renovations for Carver. Want those people to not give again? Screw them over on seating.

I 100% agree, and it sounds like Fran does too, that they need to improve the experience at CHA. I am not convinced that giving the students the prime seats behind the opponent bench would bring them out in droves. It might for conference season, but I'm not totally convinced it would short of paying students to show up to the games. AD needs to look at all options like giving away student tickets, etc., to get students in the arena and loud.

It is not Fran's job to improve the game day experience or get students moved behind the bench. The AD needs to do whatever it takes to turn CHA into a decent place to watch a game.

How do you replace the revenue the Club seats generate?

Reactions: BDinIC
Have an online raffle first come first served for the student section seats. NO COST. Make it as easy as possible to fill the student section. Hell. I'd donate to a fund that would help offset the cost. If someone wins them and doesn't use them they aren't allowed to enter again to deter people from just applying. Home court advantage is huge in the big ten and having a bustling student section would be a huge advantage. Long term gains from the loss in student ticket sales could potentially offset in my opinion. Crusty old donors will never let this happen though. **** them

Very easy and do able...been saying for years.

Put the media behind the baskets. Put the suites where the media use to be. Put students on the floor.

This problem is all about the donors that want to read a book while they watch a game or be on their phone. They want to be seen thumbing their nose at you.

Last edited:

Put the media behind the baskets. Put the suites were the media use to be. Put students on the floor.

This problem is all about the donors that want to read a book while they watch a game or be on their phone. They want to be scene thumbing their nose at you.
Most donors I know spend their time cheering at the games and giving their money to the U.

And learn how to spell.

Put the media behind the baskets. Put the suites where the media use to be. Put students on the floor.

This problem is all about the donors that want to read a book while they watch a game or be on their phone. They want to be seen thumbing their nose at you.
What do you think those seats go for?

"Fran has had 13 years to make this happen" - obviously didn't listen to the part about the Carver renovation and donors getting seats

After the first 1,000 they could go with first 15 rows behind the basket and up to the baseline. That would get it loud and look great on TV. Put the band in there and call it good.

I wish they didn't have all the empty floor space behind the baskets. why not fill that up with students, too?

i think they should feed the students, too. it's not like they are short of money and/or can't get a pizza sponsor

Gonna be pros and cons (or winners/losers) no matter how it plays out, but I love that there’s discussions (and hopefully then action) on how to make Carver more lively.

hell, make it first come first serve seating regardless of if you’re a student or not and you’d probably get the most lively fans in the most impactful spots. That’s not a serious recommendation btw.

How do you replace the revenue the Club seats generate?
It isn’t that much revenue boss. How much do honestly think those seats generate? And what percentage is that of the total athletic budget?

I was at the game last night and was actually shocked by how many people over the age of 60 occupy seats close to the action. It’s embarrassing. Sure, if you have the money it’s yours to spend but I’d block even allowing the gray hairs to buy their way in. No reason that they can’t enjoy the game just as much from row 15 and up.

And to his point, I wonder how many folks that actually donated to the renovation still go or are still alive. I bet it isn’t that many

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
It isn’t that much revenue boss. How much do honestly think those seats generate? And what percentage is that of the total athletic budget?

I was at the game last night and was actually shocked by how many people over the age of 60 occupy seats close to the action. It’s embarrassing. Sure, if you have the money it’s yours to spend but I’d block even allowing the gray hairs to buy their way in. No reason that they can’t enjoy the game just as much from row 15 and up.

And to his point, I wonder how many folks that actually donated to the renovation still go or are still alive. I bet it isn’t that many
You would think with the design of Carver, older people would want to be higher up to avoid all those stairs. Is there another arena in the country that has more continuous stairs than Carver? It’s a hike from row 1 to the top exit. You’d think older people would want to be closer to restrooms too.

Front row/court side $25k , minimum 5 years Boss. Every 2 rows it's step down.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Front row/court side $25k , minimum 5 years Boss. Every 2 rows it's step down.
So does this generate a millions a year? What is the overall athletic budget?

Sit 10 rows higher. Your money won’t get you good seats. Those go to students from now on. That’s what I’d be for.

Michigan created a frenzied student section look behind the benches a few years ago. I am not sure there are packed stands elsewhere in that building but all you see on TV is that student section jumping up and down all game creating the impression of an arena full of crazed fans. Make it happen!

You would think with the design of Carver, older people would want to be higher up to avoid all those stairs. Is there another arena in the country that has more continuous stairs than Carver? It’s a hike from row 1 to the top exit. You’d think older people would want to be closer to restrooms too.
We use the very convenient elevator and very convenient restroom located in the tunnel near the locker room. No stairs.

We use the very convenient elevator and very convenient restroom located in the tunnel near the locker room. No stairs.
Well no wonder the blue hairs sit there. Semi private bathrooms and no stairs. Well let’s take that away. You can sit closer to the court but no elevators or court level bathrooms. Want to be close to the action? You will have to climb like the rest of steerage and earn that choice seat. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT