ADVERTISEMENT

*****Offical 2023 Recruiting Thread*****

Here is a 2022 study. Looks like the gap has widened since the study from 2011. .99 million fans for Purdue to 2.36 million for Iowa. Congrats on your wins and taking Iowa’s fourth and fifth WRs. But don’t try and say Iowa and Purdue are close to having the same base.
I didn’t say we’re close to having the same base. I was simply stating our fanbase isn’t a joke.

Using Big Game Boomer to prove a point is an odd choice to say the least. Distant second behind who, ND or IU?

Our fan support is far from a joke. No we’re not on Iowa’s level but we have a solid fanbase. Don’t let some negative recruiting cloud your judgment.

Doesn’t look like crappy fan support to me. Ross-Ade was 98.5% full last year.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
DL Merrieweather announcing at 6 tonight...for the good guys.

OL Howland announcing on Saturday, sounds like OU..odd pick for an OL?
My two cents. Howland would have committed already if he was heading to the Sooners. And, he has his HS QB committed to the Hawks and would work alongside the new OL commits to give Iowa the best in the Big Ten. Chip, chair and chance, he'll announce this Saturday for the good guys. 😎❤️🏈

They have put some good OL in the league. Chiefs have two starters from OU.
Yes. Iowa's OL pedigree is strong, but so are many other teams out there, Oklahoma included. I'm sure playing with his HS QB is a good draw, but sometimes guys want to make their own way. Would be a really strong class with he, Lauck, Proctor.

Yes. Iowa's OL pedigree is strong, but so are many other teams out there, Oklahoma included. I'm sure playing with his HS QB is a good draw, but sometimes guys want to make their own way. Would be a really strong class with he, Lauck, Proctor.
Yeah, and kids also look at who is at their position. Iowa getting two high ranked tackles already in this class and then there are young guys like Richman, Davidkov etc.

Reactions: squeezebox
Agreed. Their lack of defensive prowess will hurt them for years to come.

Yeah, and kids also look at who is at their position. Iowa getting two high ranked tackles already in this class and then there are young guys like Richman, Davidkov etc.
Good points and didn't realize OU has two OL in the pros for KC. True too on the OV, I think OU was early June before Iowa however we shall see. Looking at commits, OU has only two OL in the class so far, one a C and the other a T.
Strange to see OU at #31 in the recruiting rankings so far for '23.

Reactions: David1979
Good points and didn't realize OU has two OL in the pros for KC. True too on the OV, I think OU was early June before Iowa however we shall see. Looking at commits, OU has only two OL in the class so far, one a C and the other a T.
Strange to see OU at #31 in the recruiting rankings so far for '23.
It will be interesting to see how the new staff at OU does.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that an OL that is projected to play Tackle would go elsewhere when we have a 4 star and a 5 star already committed at the position in the same class. To be clear, I'm not implying that the young man is afraid of competition.

Iowa has only landed 3 of the uncommitted OVs from their big weekend
As of now. Let's not forget there is a 4 and 5* among them so the quality is there maybe not the quantity some people expect yet. Looking good for our 4th. However I remember last year Iowa whiffing on so many who visited on top of our class of committed guys being lower than it is this year which made it sting even more. Funny enough the one we landed months down the road was Nwankpa. Lastly I'm ok with some guys waiting little bit to think it over. We've seen with the boat rowers up north where their used car salesman coach puts the pressure to commit on the spot and every year they get multiple commits during their big weekend. Only to see multiple from their class decommit later on. Knock on wood we still get one here and there (like Trader 2 months ago) but Iowa hasn't been having too many decommits as of late the last few years.

Reactions: cmhawks99
As of now. Let's not forget there is a 4 and 5* among them so the quality is there maybe not the quantity some people expect yet. Looking good for our 4th. However I remember last year Iowa whiffing on so many who visited on top of our class of committed guys being lower than it is this year which made it sting even more. Funny enough the one we landed months down the road was Nwankpa. Lastly I'm ok with some guys waiting little bit to think it over. We've seen with the boat rowers up north where their used car salesman coach puts the pressure to commit on the spot and every year they get multiple commits during their big weekend. Only to see multiple from their class decommit later on. Knock on wood we still get one here and there (like Trader 2 months ago) but Iowa hasn't been having too many decommits as of late the last few years.
Good points, we had a flurry of activity in Dec and Jan last year and some recent smoke of the PJ Fleck 'act' wearing very thin in RodentLand. Sure we have Proctor and some young ones in the program, however one shouldn't just focus on depth chart as we know injuries, development, portal, attrition happen and that chart could look much different in a year or so. C'mon Marco, reel 'em in!

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
DL Merrieweather announcing at 6 tonight...for the good guys.

OL Howland announcing on Saturday, sounds like OU..odd pick for an OL?
Howland to Oklahoma , Merrieweather to Hawks, Gilbert is a take if they can get Him , Vowell, Newsome are takes I would think . last few spots Iowa can cherry pick and find late risers or work on flips . This is one of the smoothest cycles in recent memory , Getting Proctor in early and getting commits at most of the depth / need positions has Iowa playing with House money rest of the way .

Reactions: BigOHawk
S
Howland to Oklahoma , Merrieweather to Hawks, Gilbert is a take if they can get Him , Vowell, Newsome are takes I would think . last few spots Iowa can cherry pick and find late risers or work on flips . This is one of the smoothest cycles in recent memory , Getting Proctor in early and getting commits at most of the depth / need positions has Iowa playing with House money rest of the way .
Sounds like Iowa is on the outside looking in for GIlbert.

I only counted 4 Iowa commitments that had Purdue offers not 5.

Yep we only land kids because of scummy recruiting tactics 😂😂😂

Nestor, Jones, Raphael, Lauck, and Ortwerth. And counting...
...add Merrieweather to that making 6 now. Apparently IF Purdue was using negative recruiting it appears to be failing.

Is there not 1 WR in this class? Of course, not many would want to play for this offense as it doesn't \hasn't shown itself to be WR friendly. But man, we should really get 1 in each class at least.

Is there not 1 WR in this class? Of course, not many would want to play for this offense as it doesn't \hasn't shown itself to be WR friendly. But man, we should really get 1 in each class at least.
TOS gave a CB to Iowa for Vowell about a week ago.

Maybe just waiting for the visit to IC?

Reactions: obfuscating
TOS gave a CB to Iowa for Vowell about a week ago.

Maybe just waiting for the visit to IC?
Yep, looking at the article from May he loves IC and the Wave tradition. His film isn't dominant, however he catches the ball in traffic, above avg speed and really high points the ball well in traffic. Probably not done growing either and good size already (6'4"). Lines up wide and slot, decent route runner and even saw a KOK special 'tunnel screen' in the highlights. Maybe a taller Nick Easley?

Reactions: MitchLL
Yep, looking at the article from May he loves IC and the Wave tradition. His film isn't dominant, however he catches the ball in traffic, above avg speed and really high points the ball well in traffic. Probably not done growing either and good size already (6'4"). Lines up wide and slot, decent route runner and even saw a KOK special 'tunnel screen' in the highlights. Maybe a taller Nick Easley?
I think Vowell is underrated, Plays tough as a WR , decent speed , good technique catching the ball not afraid of contact , good size, Kind of guy that makes money in the red zone . This is the one I really want Iowa to land now at this point of the class on His visit. Get Him on Campus.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Alex Mota
The development of Mota is going to be a process. To my knowledge, he's never even played at the WR position.

On offense, I believe he's only played QB with maybe some "slot" running plays. So if he ends up on offense, I don't see him contributing immediately.

Of course, all this is just my opinion. ;)

Reactions: cmhawks99
The development of Mota is going to be a process. To my knowledge, he's never even played at the WR position.

On offense, I believe he's only played QB with maybe some "slot" running plays. So if he ends up on offense, I don't see him contributing immediately.

Clinton Solomon was a QB in high school yet was able to earn playing time as a true freshman at WR on the 2002 Big Ten Champion Iowa team.

...add Merrieweather to that making 6 now. Apparently IF Purdue was using negative recruiting it appears to be failing.

We hadn’t been actively recruiting Merriweather for awhile. Didn’t bring him in for an official visit and landed guys rated higher than him. Only DL we’ve still been pursuing has been Gilbert.

He's been playing WR for his 7-on-7 team for a while now.

He's QB mainly because he's far and away the best athlete and player on his HS team.

Reactions: obfuscating
We hadn’t been actively recruiting Merriweather for awhile. Didn’t bring him in for an official visit and landed guys rated higher than him. Only DL we’ve still been pursuing has been Gilbert.

jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

I believe he was playing it this year in 7 on 7 stuff. But I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT