ADVERTISEMENT

****Official 1/8 to 1/10 Winter Storm Huck thread****

Just shoveled the first clearing of the driveway. Only about 1.5-2" but that's 1.5-2" I won't have to do in the morning. Holy shit that's heavy snow.

1 accident and 1 VID so far. People still driving way too fast. Its going to be a long two nights.
You’ve only been dusted so far. Sorry to say this, but it’s only going to get worse.

You’ve only been dusted so far. Sorry to say this, but it’s only going to get worse.
I know. Hopefully after I get off when people start going to work. Roads are 100% ice and snow and the last two vehicles going past me are going 55 which is the speed limit but about 25mpg too fast.

Last edited:
Now a guy that is suspended as well as his female passenger just ran out of gas on one of our 4 lanes. How can you run out of gas during a winter storm?? Then he tries telling me as he sat in the driver's seat that there was another driver who was valid who got picked up and went for gas. I asked him where this "driver's" footprints and tire tracks were and he said they have been covered up by snow lol. I asked if that was the case why was their footprints to the house they went looking for gas were still visible. He swore to God he wasn't driving. I said if you're honest I won't write you any tickets and he continued to lie. I wrote him the ticket and then he admitted to driving and also having no insurance on the vehicle. Now you know why we can retire at age 50 with 22 years in. These people burn you out.

Poky county has maybe 2- 3 inches of snow w high winds here in NW Iowa. Limited visibility. Roads snow covered.

Somewhere in Iowa…….headed towards Davenport…..on I-80 near Iowa City

Last edited:
Now a guy that is suspended as well as his female passenger just ran out of gas on one of our 4 lanes. How can you run out of gas during a winter storm?? Then he tries telling me as he sat in the driver's seat that there was another driver who was valid who got picked up and went for gas. I asked him where this "driver's" footprints and tire tracks were and he said they have been covered up by snow lol. I asked if that was the case why was their footprints to the house they went looking for gas were still visible. He swore to God he wasn't driving. I said if you're honest I won't write you any tickets and he continued to lie. I wrote him the ticket and then he admitted to driving and also having no insurance on the vehicle. Now you know why we can retire at age 50 with 22 years in. These people burn you out.
He got off lucky - could have been arrested (for the suspended lic).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkman98
I cannot believe what kind of pussies society has turned into. Little bit of snow and it's "OMG! SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!!!! IT"S SNOWING!!!" I mean, seriously. We got about 11 inches of snow here so far. It's not that bad. School closed yesterday and today, no freaking reason why they are closed. I just drove by the damn school. I would have easily had my kids there today. Miraculously, I was also able to brave 'Snowmageddon" after work last night, went to the gym, stopped at the store afterwards to get some groceries and a case of beer. Just got back from a little trip downtown. It's fine.

People are soft these days. I fear for the future. Now get off my snow covered lawn.

Reactions: Madman_1 and torbee
I cannot believe what kind of pussies society has turned into. Little bit of snow and it's "OMG! SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!!!! IT"S SNOWING!!!" I mean, seriously. We got about 11 inches of snow here so far. It's not that bad. School closed yesterday and today, no freaking reason why they are closed. I just drove by the damn school. I would have easily had my kids there today. Miraculously, I was also able to brave 'Snowmageddon" after work last night, went to the gym, stopped at the store afterwards to get some groceries and a case of beer. Just got back from a little trip downtown. It's fine.

People are soft these days. I fear for the future. Now get off my snow covered lawn.
As someone whose mom made him walk to school in Wisconsin through literal CANYONS of piled snow, I agree 100%

I blame lawyers and litigiousness more than society, though.

Reactions: EagleHawk

School buses are not known for their mobility on snow covered roads.

Unless that's what you were driving around, then I'll take back what I just said.

Reactions: Moral and BelemNole
As someone whose mom made him walk to school in Wisconsin through literal CANYONS of piled snow, I agree 100%

I blame lawyers and litigiousness more than society, though.
Torb's, if they cancelled school every time it snowed in Wisconsin you would still be in the 8th grade because you would have never been in school. It snows in the Midwest, deal with it or move south.

Reactions: torbee
Torb's, if they cancelled school every time it snowed in Wisconsin you would still be in the 8th grade because you would have never been in school. It snows in the Midwest, deal with it or move south.
We would normally get a 2-hour late start with a lot of other schools closed down. Good memories of turning on the TV to see if my school was on the blotter.

My dad was the director of transportation for our school, if he could drive the mile down our gravel road to the highway, we were going to have school.

Reactions: torbee
I don't know numbers, but I'm guessing we have about 6 inches in Ames. The important thing is get everything completely clean before the negative temperatures come in later this week.

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
Some of my neighbors have really been waiting for the Winter Lawn Olympics to kick off.

Well after h.s. my friends and I would go the h.s football field for years and play football in the snow covered field to play tackle football with no pads other than our jackets. I finally canceled it successive years of cracked ribs. Its a young mans game

Bikini Bottom Floor It GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reactions: McLovin32
Another storm with heavy snow 48 hours out I'm seeing?! That's when the cold arrives.

Friday-ish. The models have it as more of a glancing blow currently than this one.

Whatever they named this storm, it delivered. I've lived at my current place for 19 years, ain't had one bigger and it's not even close. I'll take a nice and easy 6 inches of fluffy/easy to get rid of snow please.

Friday-ish. The models have it as more of a glancing blow currently than this one.

Whatever they named this storm, it delivered. I've lived at my current place for 19 years, ain't had one bigger and it's not even close. I'll take a nice and easy 6 inches of fluffy/easy to get rid of snow please.
This is nothing compared to 2009 and it's the first taste of winter as well.

Just got a few snaps sent to me from someone that lives on the south side of CR. 13-14 inches throughout their entire front yard. No drifting.

Just got a few snaps sent to me from someone that lives on the south side of CR. 13-14 inches throughout their entire front yard. No drifting.

Same here.

Thankfully, I upped my snowblower game last spring. Never would have been able to get rid of it all in one pass without it. Never clogged up once.

Old School 1970's era Ariens...I highly recommend them.

Reactions: McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT