ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

All I know is she had five technicals in four years in college and she was the same kind of player she is now, yet she has five technicals in one season so far in the big, bad, rough, and tough WNBA….so I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s the referees and not Caitlin.
Be honest. We all know she got some leeway in college. The "star treatment". Thats not a knock on CC2 either, just what it is. She got a bunch early in the W as she's earning her rep. If anything the refs in the W have wanted to show they aren't giving her special treatment, but she's earned those T's...

Be honest. We all know she got some leeway in college. The "star treatment". Thats not a knock on CC2 either, just what it is. She got a bunch early in the W as she's earning her rep. If anything the refs in the W have wanted to show they aren't giving her special treatment, but she's earned those T's...
I don't know if this is a sign of her being comfortable in the WNBA, but I thought her behavior Sunday in one way was like college. Instead of just complaining about calls and non-calls involving her, she was critiquing pretty much every foul call in the game.* If she keeps that up, she will easily get two more T's.

*Maybe her thinking was that they wouldn't dare kick her out, so she was Teflon after she got one.

Caitlin’s Stats thru 28 games (12 games left):
• 497 pts................(17.8/game)
• 232 ast.................(8.3/game)
• 161 reb...................(5.8/game)
• 78 made 3PT.......(2.8/game)

ONLY 2 players in WNBA history have had 450+ points, 200+ assists, 150+ rebounds & 75+ made 3 pointers in a SINGLE YEAR.

• Sabrina Ionescu (2022...her THIRD SEASON in the WNBA)
• Caitlin Clark........ (2024)

My goodness.

If she was getting the star treatment, it was because she deserved it. And she deserves it in the W as well…she’s the biggest star in the league. If the refs are going out of their way to make a statement, then that’s wrong in so many ways. And I would say she earned maybe three of the five…two were BS.

Does getting suspended for a game reset the technical foul "penalty" back to zero, or is the player on double secret probation for the remainder of the season?

Indeed the player is on double secret probation.

There is a little know codicil in the WNBA constitution which gives Cheryl Reeve unlimited power to preserve order in times of league emergency.

If she was getting the star treatment, it was because she deserved it. And she deserves it in the W as well…she’s the biggest star in the league. If the refs are going out of their way to make a statement, then that’s wrong in so many ways. And I would say she earned maybe three of the five…two were BS.
I don't disagree BUT are you going to look at every T given out by refs and decide if the player "earned it" or not. We ALL love CC2 for obvious reasons, but at times that love comes with a set of blinders. Also I'd still give Aja Wilson the nod as the biggest star in the league, even though Clark has not only made her mark, but she's closing the gap FAST on the leagues top dozen players. For certain she has a skill set unlike any player in the league, and as she continues to be more consistent she'll be in that top player/MVP conversation.

Alyssa Thomas (Sun) had 14 and 6 in her two games.
Thanks I should have guessed that one. Other then her and maybe Sabrina there's no one in the league who could pull that off. Sabrina can light it up on occasion as well, but Thomas isn't nearly the scorer CC2 is. Her shoulder issues make her a very unreliable jump shooter..

I don't disagree BUT are you going to look at every T given out by refs and decide if the player "earned it" or not. We ALL love CC2 for obvious reasons, but at times that love comes with a set of blinders. Also I'd still give Aja Wilson the nod as the biggest star in the league, even though Clark has not only made her mark, but she's closing the gap FAST on the leagues top dozen players. For certain she has a skill set unlike any player in the league, and as she continues to be more consistent she'll be in that top player/MVP conversation.
You always have really strong takes! But not this time ;).

AW is, ofc, currently the best player. But no one even knew what an A'ja was before this year. Clark's fame and celebrity has only multiplied since joining the league.

But you know all that. Maybe I'm just parsing words too much, but ... I don't care!

Per The Sporting News link - after the seventh in season technical and subsequent one-game suspension, there would be another one-game suspension for every other technical. e.g., 9th, 11th, etc.

A steep price.

Link
Do you know if it resets once the playoffs start?

Do you know if it resets once the playoffs start?
The only thing I could find was from Wikipedia for Technical foul in the quotes below.

It implies there is a reset for the playoffs. Also, the values below are obviously prorated for the shorter WNBA seasons.

"However, unsportsmanlike technicals in the (W)NBA carry a fine, its severity depending on the number of technicals the player has already obtained, and players are suspended for varying amounts of time after accumulating sixteen technicals in the regular season or seven in the playoffs."

Reactions: Tenacious E
You always have really strong takes! But not this time ;).

AW is, ofc, currently the best player. But no one even knew what an A'ja was before this year. Clark's fame and celebrity has only multiplied since joining the league.

But you know all that. Maybe I'm just parsing words too much, but ... I don't care!
Lets just say that we disagree (somewhat) on what exactly "biggest star" means, at least to me. Obviously CC2 has created a different level of fandom. I'm more talking about BEST player in referencing biggest star. I'd say that is Wilson and then probably Breanna Stewart. AT THIS point. Clark is thrusting herself into the conversation with each passing game. People certainly knew who these women were, just not the Millions of fans that CC has driven to the sport. Its simply not fair to say "No one knew". We, and so many other new fans in both college and the W are now getting an education that there were some great players that we were not aware of. The fact that WE were not aware does them a disservice if we simply act like they didn't exist because WE weren't watching.

Lets just say that we disagree (somewhat) on what exactly "biggest star" means, at least to me. Obviously CC2 has created a different level of fandom. I'm more talking about BEST player in referencing biggest star. I'd say that is Wilson and then probably Breanna Stewart. AT THIS point. Clark is thrusting herself into the conversation with each passing game. People certainly knew who these women were, just not the Millions of fans that CC has driven to the sport. Its simply not fair to say "No one knew". We, and so many other new fans in both college and the W are now getting an education that there were some great players that we were not aware of. The fact that WE were not aware does them a disservice if we simply act like they didn't exist because WE weren't watching.
That is really parsing someone's internet post. Of course some people knew who some W players were, just not enough so that the W didn't operate at loss year after year. The only reason there was a W for Caitlin to join is by fiat of the NBA. So yes the W existed and yes there were great players before Caitlin, but the W was not relevant and was not a functional operation in the business of entertainment. Caitlin is singlehandedly changing the math not only for the league but for the individual endorsement deals of other players.

GVb7_sOXkAAfIVn

That is really parsing someone's internet post. Of course some people knew who some W players were, just not enough so that the W didn't operate at loss year after year. The only reason there was a W for Caitlin to join is by fiat of the NBA. So yes the W existed and yes there were great players before Caitlin, but the W was not relevant and was not a functional operation in the business of entertainment. Caitlin is singlehandedly changing the math not only for the league but for the individual endorsement deals of other players.
Look I'm not here dissing anything about what Clark has done, so lets just put that to bed now for Christs sake. I'd still say that just because the "new fans" weren't here doesn't leeson what the players did. THAT does not make them less great. Use the "if a tree falls in the forest " analogy if you must. Whether anyone heard it or not, it still fell. Thats the bottom line. And while CC has certainly had a major impact on the W and everything to do with it, they will still LOSE 50 MILLION $ this year, according to their own press release. By your logic that means their still not relevant, and she's had little actual impact.

Look I'm not here dissing anything about what Clark has done, so lets just put that to bed now for Christs sake. I'd still say that just because the "new fans" weren't here doesn't leeson what the players did. THAT does not make them less great. Use the "if a tree falls in the forest " analogy if you must. Whether anyone heard it or not, it still fell. Thats the bottom line. And while CC has certainly had a major impact on the W and everything to do with it, they will still LOSE 50 MILLION $ this year, according to their own press release. By your logic that means their still not relevant, and she's had little actual impact.
No, they are losing money because they are under the same media rights deal Caitlin walked into. The new deal - post Caitlin - will make them profitable. Your analogy of a tree falling in a forest is apt and I almost used it in my prior post. Also note in my prior post I did not say players before Caitlin were not great.

It doesn’t make them less great, but it shows they aren’t the biggest stars in the league. If no one is watching you, you’re not a star….which is why Clark is the biggest star in the league by a long shot. I’m quite sure there are some actors somewhere off off Broadway who are better actors than Tom Cruise, but who’s the bigger star?

It doesn’t make them less great, but it shows they aren’t the biggest stars in the league. If no one is watching you, you’re not a star….which is why Clark is the biggest star in the league by a long shot. I’m quite sure there are some actors somewhere off off Broadway who are better actors than Tom Cruise, but who’s the bigger star?
But in this case, Caitlin is pretty darn close to the best Broadway actors as well.

No, they are losing money because they are under the same media rights deal Caitlin walked into. The new deal - post Caitlin - will make them profitable. Your analogy of a tree falling in a forest is apt and I almost used it in my prior post. Also note in my prior post I did not say players before Caitlin were not great.
We'll see if "they are profitable" or not. My guess is that a new CBA will be coming soon. These players who have been paid like fast food manager wages are going to get a chunk of that money. You can be assured of that...

We'll see if "they are profitable" or not. My guess is that a new CBA will be coming soon. These players who have been paid like fast food manager wages are going to get a chunk of that money. You can be assured of that...
They have already agreed to terms and it will pay 5x to 6x as much as is paid now.

Per this article, Temi should play in the next game at MN.

what did she do to her hand to keep her out so long? she never had surgery, correct? not judging, just curious

my gosh, she runs so well.....she is such an asset

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT