ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Can someone who is knowledgeable in basketball, please explain to me what is a foul in the WNBA?
Lolol.. Like anybody could pin that down. There's NO one out there who knows especially the striped shirts. And Debbie Antonellis comment about a ref making "a patient call" is a cop out. Waiting to see if the basket was made to decide if you call the foul is NOT officiating....

I realize it’s how it goes. But after the CC barrage, she only scored 1 more point. Whole team so up and down! In reality, the whole season has been like this, can’t remember an “easy” game!
Cmon man. They don't have the bench to have "an easy game". Say what you want about Dallas or several teams below the Fever in the standings. Most (including Dallas) have better rosters then Indiana. They're winning because their top three are as good as a unit as any in the league. After that a couple of good players, (Hull, Temi, and Dontas) and then its a mess......

Last edited:
Assuming the Fever will get the 7th (or 8th due to expansion team?) pick in the draft based on their 6th place finish. Anyone in the know enough with WCBB to have an idea of who that might be?

I really, really, really hope they are able to land Sabally in free agency, and can go with a starting five of Boston, Sabally, Hull, Mitchell, and Clark next year. Dantas and Temi off the bench. Is there a difference maker they could snag in the draft who either comes off the bench or takes Lexie’s spot and moves her back into a supporting role?

Assuming the Fever will get the 7th (or 8th due to expansion team?) pick in the draft based on their 6th place finish. Anyone in the know enough with WCBB to have an idea of who that might be?

I really, really, really hope they are able to land Sabally in free agency, and can go with a starting five of Boston, Sabally, Hull, Mitchell, and Clark next year. Dantas and Temi off the bench. Is there a difference maker they could snag in the draft who either comes off the bench or takes Lexie’s spot and moves her back into a supporting role?
I think landing a free agent like Sabally would be key. Most rookies don't come in and make the kind of contribution that we've seen from a few this season.

You'd be fine with that lineup in my opinion. They need a defender and Lexi wouldn't need to worry about scoring. The issue is they need backups at PG, 2, & 3. The free agent list isn't great for those positions. Best case would be for KLS to be taken in the expansion draft, package Smith and their pick to move up a few spots & hopefully get a young wing or use her in a trade. Sabally will likely be "cored" by Dallas which gives her control over any sign & trade.

The only thing with sabally it sounds like she is committed to that German team and would miss part of the season.

I coached against a girl that went on to be all Big 10 three years in a row and went to the WNBA and was in the league at the time Swoopes was in the league. She was good, but these days she wouldn’t even make a team. Players now are way better than when Swoopes played, so Clark broke Swoopes’ career high in her rookie season against much better competition with teams focusing much of their defense on her. Clark is a better player already.

I know BUT Clark will have 325+ assisits and NOBODIES doing that......
If Vandersloot had played 40-game seasons at her peak, she likely would have had 325+ assists at least a couple of times.
The top 5 single-season leaders for assists per game are as follows:

1. Courtney Vandersloot 9.95 2020 (played 22/22 games)
2. Courtney Vandersloot 9.09 2019 (played 33/34 games)
3. Courtney Vandersloot 8.60 2018 (played 30/34 games)
4. Courtney Vandersloot 8.59 2021 (played 32/32) games)
5. Caitlin Clark 8.44 2024

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
Sabally? On second thought, might be a decent option.

Gustafson would be my first choice.

Either one for Smith = upgrade
I know this may not be well received, but, for all of the complaints about Smith, I'm not sold that Gus would be much of an upgrade either. Yes she can makes some threes, but she's not a plus athlete either especially on defense. She might be a better culture fit, but she'd still be a role player and she'd struggle just as much as Smith guarding bigs in the league. I mean if they signed her it would be fun for the Iowa connection, but I highly doubt she'd be a difference maker for the Fever...

If Vandersloot had played 40-game seasons at her peak, she likely would have had 325+ assists at least a couple of times.
The top 5 single-season leaders for assists per game are as follows:

1. Courtney Vandersloot 9.95 2020 (played 22/22 games)
2. Courtney Vandersloot 9.09 2019 (played 33/34 games)
3. Courtney Vandersloot 8.60 2018 (played 30/34 games)
4. Courtney Vandersloot 8.59 2021 (played 32/32) games)
5. Caitlin Clark 8.44 2024
AND once again my comment was that NOBODY is scoring 750+ points AND 325 assists in the same season, which is what we were discussing. Sorry if I didn't spell that out more clearly...Even more amazing is that CC22 isn't just breaking rookie records, this is WNBA records for all players....

The Lynx are two games ahead of the Sun, with two games remaining. All the Lynx have to do is win at the Sun or beat the lowly Sparks at home to lock up second place. It is very likely the Fever will play the Sun in the playoffs.

You'd be fine with that lineup in my opinion. They need a defender and Lexi wouldn't need to worry about scoring. The issue is they need backups at PG, 2, & 3. The free agent list isn't great for those positions. Best case would be for KLS to be taken in the expansion draft, package Smith and their pick to move up a few spots & hopefully get a young wing or use her in a trade. Sabally will likely be "cored" by Dallas which gives her control over any sign & tradI
In my opinion the Fever need a dominate center. Boston, even though she is big and wide isn,t very athletic or strong. She miss handles a lot of CC passes and gets a lot of bebounds taken out of her hands. I think with a strong C, which Smith is not, she would be a lot better.
The Fever also need to learn how to play D against the 3. Sound like another team we all root for. :)

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't go back and check my speeleng. LOL
Actually they don't need a dominant C. Just a good one. I think Boston is a very good F. The Fever don't have a C.
No worries, just see it a bunch and wanted to correct. Agree on the C. Would be nice if she could run.

Can't say this enough...it's incredible what CC has done for the WNBA in visibility and recognition.

That said, the league office better address the continual mugging she takes in games.
It isn't the league office job to change the culture or how the game is played. The league is already changed due to the CC22 affect. Next year there will be no thug ball, it will be a run and gun, up tempo game that is easy on the eyes. The refs will be forced to change.

That is what CC22 has done, and will continue to do, to the WNBA.

AND once again my comment was that NOBODY is scoring 750+ points AND 325 assists in the same season, which is what we were discussing. Sorry if I didn't spell that out more clearly...Even more amazing is that CC22 isn't just breaking rookie records, this is WNBA records for all players....
And next year I will be disappointed if she isn’t flirting with 800+/400+. She’s gonna come pretty damned close to 800 this year, and gawd knows she should have finished north of 400 this year if only her teammates could have learned to handle her earlier and were more consistent finishers.

Can't say this enough...it's incredible what CC has done for the WNBA in visibility and recognition.

That said, the league office better address the continual mugging she takes in games.
IMO, Dallas and some other teams don't play to beat Indy. Rather, they play to beat Clark. It's personal to them. Mitchell drives to the rim on one play, and 3 defenders basically did nothing to stop her. Two points. Clark drives in and "Ox" McCowan barrels in and damn near takes Clark's head off. Good thing that reckless "Swipe" caught her neck and arms. Could have been bad.
One final note: I wish we could swap Wings coach for the Fever's coach. Not because the Wings coach teaches defense, but because she actually sticks up for her players and gets in the officials' ears.

Reactions: MitchLL
IMO, Dallas and some other teams don't play to beat Indy. Rather, they play to beat Clark. It's personal to them. Mitchell drives to the rim on one play, and 3 defenders basically did nothing to stop her. Two points. Clark drives in and "Ox" McCowan barrels in and damn near takes Clark's head off. Good thing that reckless "Swipe" caught her neck and arms. Could have been bad.
One final note: I wish we could swap Wings coach for the Fever's coach. Not because the Wings coach teaches defense, but because she actually sticks up for her players and gets in the officials' ears.
Goddamn Sides has to start sticking up for her players, specifically CC.

It's long past ridiculous what is happening.
Lessen the number of "fragrant fouls" to a suspension. Hefty fines.
The League can be more active and strict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT