ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Ok i have seen this team including cc play very little defense this year except Lexi they need to figure this out next year and be two way players the Sun did this in this series ans i hope they advance further

Reactions: Allaroundfan
I don't know what happened to Lexie. She was blazing hot for a while. She could hardly miss. However, then she fell back to Earth hard and she's been pretty cold for the last couple weeks. The Fever can't afford to go back to getting nothing from that position again. It can't be CC, Kelsey, and AB, and nothing from anyone else.
Hull gets more open looks against the poor teams. Doesn’t get many against the good teams and also she’s having to guard bigger, stronger players on the other end, particularly in a series like this. But yes, you can’t win with 3 players.

She was great tonight and played the entire freaking game. She has 2 other legitimate players on the team in Boston, who’s in her 2nd year and Mitchell. 40 minutes of handling, distributing, getting the shit kicked out of her is incredibly hard. Her percentage won’t go up a lot unless they can surround her with better players to take the pressure off of her. It’s crazy to expect more honestly.
Not to mention almost all of Clark’s points all season have been unassisted. It’s really tough for a shooter to not get the ball passed them and have to create all their own shots. Clark got a lot of passes to her while at Iowa which allows her to be set and get a better shot off. Mitchell shot so well during the season because she was getting passes from Clark and Boston. Look how many of Mabrey’s threes in the last two games were assisted (almost all of them).

Coaching.
I’d agree but teams like the Sun have been playing together forever. 2 of our 3 best players are a rookie and 2nd year. And Hull is way undersized for her position. Fever are pretty small. Defense takes cohesion and playing together for awhile.

CC was a 34 percent 3 point shooter this year. Yes, as the team gets better that number ahoukd improve. But she was not a good perimeter shooter this year. She wasn’t: To take the next step that needs to be at 40 percent range
I am clearly a homer but her shooting this year.. none of it felt natural. Her shots didn't feel like CC shots. It's like what makes her amazing was coached out her yet she still ****ed around and got 4th in MVP. If she wants to bring it up the court and chuck it from 35 feet three seconds into the shot clock, ****ing do it. Do. Whatever. You. Want. I am so sick of the same early high screen lazy pass back to AB or whoever and then CC doesn't touch the ball rest of possession. It was an absolutely disgusting offense when you have the ONE player on the planet who could make any coach look like a genius if they just let her do her thing. It even took too long for them to finally run run run and when they did it took even longer for them to even be able to catch the passes. How many transition fast break that she started result in kick back 3s to CC? (Ala pretty eyes) Like 5? One of the absolute best most natural parts of her game was non-existent this year. All coaching.

If the new FO is competent, the coach next year will be the coach of the year and the Fever will be a top 2 seed. Easiest job on the planet

Wrong. Go look at the stats again. 33 percent sophomore. 39 as a junior, 38 as senior.

Reading basketball reference upside down. :)

4a58c8ab028cb835e0e7d6b6f6fc994b.gif

Wrong. Go look at the stats again. 33 percent sophomore. 39 as a junior, 38 as senior.
Her percentages don't matter.. everyone knows she's the streakiest shooter ever and it's all about momentum and confidence. We know she'll go 1-8 from three for a few games in a row but still have 15 assists and still win the game single handedly because i know shes running the show and controlling the entire game. Best part is theeeeen we'd have "those" games where she goes in total FU mode and lights it up Steph Curry style.. those weren't there this year. The entire flow of the game should be dictated by CC. All Sides. Bluder knew the best coaching was sitting TF back. Drives me insane. Aaaaagggh

Reactions: MitchLL
The Fever's inability to beat the Lynx and Aces (twice) down the stretch, at home, was a warning sign. They have some talent, but also too many holes to do any damage in the playoffs.
I mean proooobably but do you think Iowa ever would have made it to two NCAA championship games if the offense wasnt about CC doing whatever she wanted but was all about ball control, everyone touching the ball and running the plays and blah blah blah? I don't. They should have let her do whatever tf she wanted like mj and lebron. So dumb

Fever need a complete overhaul. I'm really torn on Mitchell staying or going. She clearly is an elite scorer but does not pass well.

I can't stand her, but a player like Mabrey would be a better fit. I know she's locked up for 3 years and not an option but someone like her. It should be an interesting off season.

In a perfect world, the Fever fire Sides, get rid of Smith, and add an assassin from three that plays good defense and is unselfish with the ball.

I mean proooobably but do you think Iowa ever would have made it to two NCAA championship games if the offense wasnt about CC doing whatever she wanted but was all about ball control, everyone touching the ball and running the plays and blah blah blah? I don't. They should have let her do whatever tf she wanted like mj and lebron. So dumb
Yeah I don’t think it’s a good comparison.

Iowa had more talent than people realize. Relative talent compared to most NCAA teams. I mean outside of USC there were no super teams. Iowas talent top to bottom was on par with LSU, UCOnn, etc. How many teams other than USC had 2 top
15 draft picks?

CC can be CC to a degree in the WNBA but only to a point. The Fever roster relatively speaking is nowhere near the top 4 teams. Not in the same universe. CC even taking a huge leap can’t take this current roster beyond the 1st round. Just too much talent with the top teams. In The WNBA CC can score 30 and have 10 assists and the Fever would lose against better teams

Believe it or not just like win Jordan and Lebron CC legacy will depend on the team that’s put around her.

Reactions: littlez
Fever need a complete overhaul. I'm really torn on Mitchell staying or going. She clearly is an elite scorer but does not pass well.

I can't stand her, but a player like Mabrey would be a better fit. I know she's locked up for 3 years and not an option but someone like her. It should be an interesting off season.

In a perfect world, the Fever fire Sides, get rid of Smith, and add an assassin from three that plays good defense and is unselfish with the ball.
A good coach would help Mitchell a ton.

Yeah I don’t think it’s a good comparison.

Iowa had more talent than people realize. Relative talent compared to most NCAA teams. I mean outside of USC there were no super teams. Iowas talent top to bottom was on par with LSU, UCOnn, etc. How many teams other than USC had 2 top
15 draft picks?

CC can be CC to a degree in the WNBA but only to a point. The Fever roster relatively speaking is nowhere near the top 4 teams. Not in the same universe. CC even taking a huge leap can’t take this current roster beyond the 1st round. Just too much talent with the top teams. In The WNBA CC can score 30 and have 10 assists and the Fever would lose against better teams

Believe it or not just like win Jordan and Lebron CC legacy will depend on the team that’s put around her.
Well I can guarantee she'll be averaging closer to 30 next year than 20.. and that alone puts them as a top team. Hopefully they surround her with players who can run and make 3s and love the big time moments like our iowa women

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
A good coach would help Mitchell a ton.
She's been around and she doesn't strike me as a selfish person.. just a baller that's been the best player on a bad team for a long time. I think shes smart enough to know signing a max contract and accepting the fact she's a role player to the best possible teammate will be the best career move ever for her. Sit in the corner and hit wide open 3s, take over some games every once in a while. Get top 5 all star voting every year by proxy.

She'll be here for a while and I'm okay with it. Get a starting wing and a big

Mitchell is the least of the Fever's problems. I think she covers up a lot of the Fever's athletic and skill deficits. Fever lack an agile, shooting big. Boston has some skill but she isn't agile, fast, a high jumper, or a good jump shooter. Some teams have bigs (like Bonner, Wilson) that are all of those things. And that's the problem. And then you have Hull/Smith that are most games a black hole on offense while other teams get more production from their BENCH. Fagbenele looks so unrefined it's ridiculous. What are these coaches working on with her? No man would ever make the NBA just be being tall, but she sure did.

Well I can guarantee she'll be averaging closer to 30 next year than 20.. and that alone puts them as a top team. Hopefully they surround her with players who can run and make 3s and love the big time moments like our iowa women
Yeah I just think CC fans need to think differently. CC averaging 30 points isn’t any more likely to make the Fever better. It’s not about finding complimentary players for CC. It’s about finding another 2 elite level players. Find a Piippen and Rodman and Irving and Wade.

I’m still not convinced AB and KM are those type of players.

Best thing for CC isn’t having dominating stats. Best thing is infusing some real talent and juice into this roster

I'm not crazy about the WNBA's first-round playoff format. Best 2-of-3, with the first two games at the better team's home, they are going to get a shitload of 2-0 series. It sucks that the Fever played 40 games over four months, but then didn't even get a single home playoff game and they were out within a few days.

• Love
Reactions: MplsHawk and Bro D
I am clearly a homer but her shooting this year.. none of it felt natural. Her shots didn't feel like CC shots. It's like what makes her amazing was coached out her yet she still ****ed around and got 4th in MVP. If she wants to bring it up the court and chuck it from 35 feet three seconds into the shot clock, ****ing do it. Do. Whatever. You. Want. I am so sick of the same early high screen lazy pass back to AB or whoever and then CC doesn't touch the ball rest of possession. It was an absolutely disgusting offense when you have the ONE player on the planet who could make any coach look like a genius if they just let her do her thing. It even took too long for them to finally run run run and when they did it took even longer for them to even be able to catch the passes. How many transition fast break that she started result in kick back 3s to CC? (Ala pretty eyes) Like 5? One of the absolute best most natural parts of her game was non-existent this year. All coaching.

If the new FO is competent, the coach next year will be the coach of the year and the Fever will be a top 2 seed. Easiest job on the planet

If you think the Offensive system was the problem then you aren't being objective. The Fever were the 3rd highest scoring team in the league.

Reactions: littlez
My point is don’t be seduced into thinking the core 3 are the right 3.

I’d let KM walk. She’s a 5-8 SG. Undersized. She’s maxed her potential. And she became the go to player down the stretch at the end of games. Rather than CC.

Find a bigger more physical SG who is more disciplined.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
I know Clark had a decent points and assists game, but once again she was only 3-12 from three after shooting 2-14 on Sunday. The unfortunate reality is I don't believe Clark shot worth a damn from three in any game against a top team all season. I get it, the top teams play good defense, but she didn't hit many good, open threes against these teams, either. I'm sure one of her big goals next year is to get her 3-pt % up.
Best college career ever. Gets mugged every game in WNBA and fought through that to earn ROY and 1st team all-WNBA .And this your take away. Wow.

And, just a "decent" game tonight? You have to be kidding. She was outstanding and showed she was every bit all-WNBA.

Clark and Boston were amazing tonight. And, that's one tough team they played.

Yeah I just think CC fans need to think differently. CC averaging 30 points isn’t any more likely to make the Fever better. It’s not about finding complimentary players for CC. It’s about finding another 2 elite level players. Find a Piippen and Rodman and Irving and Wade.

I’m still not convinced AB and KM are those type of players.

Best thing for CC isn’t having dominating stats. Best thing is infusing some real talent and juice into this roster
From the few games and highlights I've seem, Sabally is a FA and would be the perfect #2 with KM and AB filling their roles. Athletic and range. She's impressive on the mic and her game fits perfectly with CC. Draft a big. Move Smith for a shooter. Try to unload KLS. Sign someone to replace outgoing wheeler. Can keep fagbenele or dantas if they want.

Players will want to play for Indy. Feel like Indy won't be messing around this offseason with a new front office, then hopefully coaching staff and those roster moves.

Think it's a lot closer than you think... and CC is gonna average 25 a game next year

If Dunn and Sides are still there next year, it's gonna be tough grabbing two quality free agents.

Fever need a coach that actually knows defense. Time and time again they get burned on the perimeter.

We also need players that can rebound. I know Boston had 19 boards tonight, but it hardly feels like we ever get second chances like other teams do. We also need a reliable bench. Players like Wheeler, Katie Lou, and Smith don't cut it.

A massive overhaul is needed to build around your best pieces.

After having seen a season of the WNBA I can say it is a bag of hot garbage.The issues are numerous but it does start with the Commissioner along with horrible officiating.Not a fan of the Fever coach and would really like to see a change in that area of concern.I will probably watch The Aces for obvious reasons.Looking forward to the new season of Iowa women’s basketball.Great to see the season is sold out and I will be there for support.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT