ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Here’s an interesting thought experiment: how many points do you think Sydney Affolter is averaging right now if she had Kristy Wallace’s starting spot. At least double figures, right? And that puts CC easily in double digits on assists, too. I’ll bet CC’s 3 percentage goes up significantly as well if she just had one other teammate who could shoot from the outside. I guess we had no idea what we had with those Iowa WBB teams.
I think most people thought the guards were great but lamented getting killed in the paint and on the boards against elite teams. But to your point, I would swap out Martin and affolter for the fever guards in a heartbeat. Yes, Mitchell is a hell of an athlete, but I like Martin’s and affolter’s total games more.

I’m similar.

Won’t watch a second of any game that’s not Caitlin.

Loved Martin & glad she’s doing well but only Caitlin moves the needle for my viewership.

Now it’s to the point that I’ll only watch Caitlin if I catch that her game is on.

Even then I can only watch spurts of the game & turn the channel when she’s on the bench.

WNBA is just horrible to watch compared to college women's b-ball.

Especially the Iowa teams the last few years.

Caitlin is the one changing the game and bringing viewers for sure. Still, the past couple of seasons Kate has been my favorite player on the team. If I'm going to watch, I'm just as likely to watch her and Megan. I enjoy the Aces style of play more than the Fever, but even still I don't really give a crap about any wnba player not named Kate Martin, Caitlin Clark or Megan Gustafson. Screw it, bring on football season and then the Jan Jensen era of Iowa women's hoops.

I'm not far behind on not watching anymore. I saw that my wnba league pass just charged me for another month, but I'm canceling after this month and I'm not going to sit inside and watch a terrible league on nice summer days/evenings.

This espnw talking head says that it is the new fans that are sucking the f&^%ing life out of the wnba. Took all of the fun out of the league. It's not the old racist gatekeeper fans or some of the older players, it's the new fans. Well Elle, many of us are ready to let you keep your old wnba because the product is hard to watch.

What is she complaining about? Didn’t I see her as a tv commentary host? She probably makes more money with better ratings

Reactions: MplsHawk
Caitlin is the one changing the game and bringing viewers for sure. Still, the past couple of seasons Kate has been my favorite player on the team. If I'm going to watch, I'm just as likely to watch her and Megan. I enjoy the Aces style of play more than the Fever, but even still I don't really give a crap about any wnba player not named Kate Martin, Caitlin Clark or Megan Gustafson. Screw it, bring on football season and then the Jan Jensen era of Iowa women's hoops.
She's bringing viewers but she's not changing the game. It's still a shit product in a poorly managed league.

True. I was thinking more of her college accomplishment and the logo 3 range she displayed.
If that changes the game, unfortunately it will be for the worst.

We don't need little girls practicing those shots. Not everyone is Caitlin Clark.

Just like Curry's magic has hurt the game. Everyone has tried to be like the Splash Brothers, but they can't. It's lead to far too many 3's being jacked up. And has taken much of the game away.

Just like everyone tried to copy the 2-guard iso-ball model back in the 90's and 2000's. But not everyone is Michael Jordan. It lead to terrible one-on-one ball. Dudes driving into traffic and jumping in the air, only to realize they aren't Jordan, and throw up some crap, or turn it over.

There's a reason the greats are the greats. It's not always something that should be attempted to be duplicated

We don't need little girls practicing those shots. Not everyone is Caitlin Clark.

Just like Curry's magic has hurt the game. Everyone has tried to be like the Splash Brothers, but they can't. It's lead to far too many 3's being jacked up. And has taken much of the game away.

Just like everyone tried to copy the 2-guard iso-ball model back in the 90's and 2000's. But not everyone is Michael Jordan. It lead to terrible one-on-one ball. Dudes driving into traffic and jumping in the air, only to realize they aren't Jordan, and throw up some crap, or turn it over.

There's a reason the greats are the greats. It's not always something that should be attempted to be duplicated
My God, you are one miserable know it all.

Ya know the funny thing is, there's certain things in your rant that I've stood on a soapbox for many times before, and thus I agree with.

But the overall angle of your take?.................

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’ve watched every game, and even went to the game yesterday in Indy, but I think I’m checking out soon. I’ll follow CC’s progress, but the games are hard to watch. The WNBA as a whole airball a ton of 3’s, miss a ton of layups, bad passes, inexplicable to’s, the worst refs of any organization, ugly courts, ugly balls, just an overall horrible mismanaged product. The WNBA needs to figure out their identity.
I'm not far behind. It's simply not entertaining.
Many are starting to say this.

This is the destiny of idolizing or tuning in to watch just an individual in a team sport.

None of you experienced this phenomenon while CC was at Iowa because you all are Hawkeye fans.

That makes the game easy and natural to watch. Everything that happens on the court is entertaining because you are invested in the Hawkeye team. That allows you to enjoy and appreciate the game at its true essence; a team activity.

Some have adopted the Fever as their team. And if you notice, these are the people that aren't raising near the fuss about everything.

Many of the fans who only care about Caitlin also hate Boston, Sides, Wallace, Berger, Mitchell, Wheeler, etc. Experiencing basketball in this way has to be absolute hell.

As for me, I'm not adopting the Fever as my team. Nor have I adopted the Kings, Blazers, or Timberwolves. That's just not how I roll. But also because I'm a lifetime Laker.

But I happen to love basketball just as much, or probably more than I love the Hawkeyes. So as being a Hawkeye fan allowed you all to experience basketball as a team activity, I do so naturally, out of my love for basketball.

So while not being a Fever fan, I will continue to be able to tune in to watch Caitlin, while at the same time, experiencing the team essence of the game, and in this way, remain entertained.

Maybe I will adopt the Aces as my team though. I've always liked Becky Hammon. Martin is one of my favorite Hawkeyes of all-time. I like Gustafson. I like Kia Stokes. I like Chelsey Gray. I like Kelsey Plum. I like A'ja Wilson. Plum, Martin, Hammon, and Wilson aren't bad to look at either. And I like Las Vegas. I love the Aces' representation of my favorite sport. And I love winners

It's June 2024 and we're following WNBA drama. LFG. Drama equals higher ratings.
Rich Eisen was making this point yesterday on his podcast, i.e., fans love villains, bitter rivalries (something he says the NBA is missing these days). While it could be true in the short run, I think people tire of watching that type of basketball and long term it will be a negative. Rivalries, yes, the other stuff, no.

Rich Eisen was making this point yesterday on his podcast, i.e., fans love villains, bitter rivalries (something he says the NBA is missing these days). While it could be true in the short run, I think people tire of watching that type of basketball and long term it will be a negative. Rivalries, yes, the other stuff, no.
It’s fun to have a rival amongst the bland. It’s not fun to have a bunch of assholes hacking you every game from different teams and then having it celebrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT