ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Chicago Bears #1 overall draft pick thread***

Oh i know and i agree. It was more tongue and cheek to those who said williams was a diva for skipping medicals and not throwing at the combine. Seems like he gets more undo crap for no particular reason than anyone... meanwhile he's throwing 70 yard effortless darts on his pro day which makes me happy inside
Gotcha. That meter is broken.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I’m trying to get on board with Caleb
Go on a highlight binge sometime. Its pretty impressive. I get the feeling he's just a natural instinctive QB.. something that was missing with Fields (more of an athlete playing QB). Williams eyes always downfield while scrambling behind his garbage line is awesome. Imagine his numbers if he had the two 1st rd WRs that LSU had

Go on a highlight binge sometime. Its pretty impressive. I get the feeling he's just a natural instinctive QB.. something that was missing with Fields (more of an athlete playing QB). Williams eyes always downfield while scrambling behind his garbage line is awesome. Imagine his numbers if he had the two 1st rd WRs that LSU had
I read his pro day was erratic, missing throws. Idk, wish he was a more likable guy

shape%2Fcover%2Fsport%2Fhttps-3A-2F-2Fdawgpounddaily-com-2Fwp-content-2Fuploads-2Fgetty-images-2F2017-2F12-2F894349848-baltimore-ravens-v-cleveland-browns-jpg-850x560-b3e92ae509cd97a14a7d1a96a41ea79992ea0682df06c94eddc11255fc7b6c2d.jpg
I should’ve said a good one

• Haha
Reactions: TJ8869 and lucas80
And? There is a compelling argument that Daniels is more skilled, and my point is he ran a better offense at LSU. Lincoln Riley has sent a lot of guys to the pros, and they are a mixed bag.
I was just saying that Brian Kelly being involved doesn’t help anything.

I read his pro day was erratic, missing throws. Idk, wish he was a more likable guy
Ive never heard him talk before this offseason. Seems pretty normal to me. Teammates talk pretty highly of him too. He's definitely confident.. he'll be able to handle the spotlight

His pro day seemed good to me everything ive listened to.. Was awesome seeing Keenan Allen at his pro day. You don't see that too often

I have another concern about Williams, and his lack of an agent. I'm not pro agent, but I wonder about a guy who thinks he's going to do it all, spend time and energy negotiating, taking things personally... Lamar Jackson did it, and the process was messy. I wonder about who Williams is surrounding himself with.

Ive never heard him talk before this offseason. Seems pretty normal to me. Teammates talk pretty highly of him too. He's definitely confident.. he'll be able to handle the spotlight

His pro day seemed good to me everything ive listened to.. Was awesome seeing Keenan Allen at his pro day. You don't see that too often
I just want a run like the Chiefs and Patriots, don’t care how we do it

The likable guy thing is a BS narrative though...I hear nothing from people who know him that say he's a douche. He's already got a foundation set up. I watched him use his NIL money to buy Beats for the USC Women's Soccer team. The people who seem to question him are people upset because he cried to his mom or painted his finger nails. All this kid has ever wanted to do is be the best QB in history. I love it. It's the number one thing that drives him.

Saw that Caleb measured out at 6'7/8."..under 6'1"...wish he was 6'3" at least. 217lbs..fine.
Has big hands..good.
Pretty thick guy..good.
His dad is very big..in the gut.

I liked what I saw in the workout..looked very solid.
Go Bears!

Reactions: Bro D
The likable guy thing is a BS narrative though...I hear nothing from people who know him that say he's a douche. He's already got a foundation set up. I watched him use his NIL money to buy Beats for the USC Women's Soccer team. The people who seem to question him are people upset because he cried to his mom or painted his finger nails. All this kid has ever wanted to do is be the best QB in history. I love it. It's the number one thing that drives him.
Barkley said it best.. something along the lines of.. "so what if hes a mamas boy, so am i!"

Someone on the radio made a good point.. this is the first class thats been in NIL from the beginning. Guessing he's pretty smart with money, he's already made a ton

I've only rarely heard him speak, most of what has been said has been from people "close to him" so I always take that with a grain of salt.
I have another concern about Williams, and his lack of an agent. I'm not pro agent, but I wonder about a guy who thinks he's going to do it all, spend time and energy negotiating, taking things personally... Lamar Jackson did it, and the process was messy. I wonder about who Williams is surrounding himself with.
Hadn't heard he didn't have an agent yet; reportedly his dad is a heavy influence, similar to how Lamar's mom has a ton of input with him.
He got built up so much his freshman year at OU, and then his sophomore year when he won the Heisman. The guy only had one direction to go. There's some stuff he could have handled better from a PR standpoint - such as the couple of games he elected to not speak to media after losses.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Caleb Williams better be The One.

I doubt it though. Going to set the Bears back a decade.

Still think they should trade the pick and stock up. Pick up one of the other QBs.
Even if Caleb isn’t “the one”, why would it set the franchise back a decade? It’s not like they traded a bunch of future picks to get the top pick this year. The bears are building a good team around the QB too.

Even if Caleb isn’t “the one”, why would it set the franchise back a decade? It’s not like they traded a bunch of future picks to get the top pick this year. The bears are building a good team around the QB too.
Because they would waste 4 to 5 years

Because they would waste 4 to 5 years
Unless there are giant red flags, you have to take Caleb; maybe Daniels if he wows you when you have the #1 pick and need a QB.

Trading down last year made sense - both Young and Stroud had question marks and giving Fields a 2nd full year as the starter with that coaching staff + improved offense to see what he had to offer, as well as knowing that the '24 class looked much stronger at QB.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I don't give a shit if he sucks a cock at halftime if we can finally win the ****ing division. Lions are legit good good and we are looking at 4 more years of rebuild.
The NFC North is suddenly an incredible tough division. I hate it, but I think the Packers are going to be damn good too.

I am not as interested in the highlights, I am interested in him running an efficient NFL offense. Highlight reel plays are great, but you win the bulk of your games by being efficient and not turning over the ball. He has gaudy stats when it comes to NOT throwing interceptions on 3rd and 4th downs. That's outstanding. He fumbles a lot. Not good. People keep saying o-line, well, sure, but I am also not a fan of the Lincoln Riley system. Former NFL QB Shaun King was on with Bernstine and Holmes on the Score this week and he likened the offense to being in a bubble. Not enough adversity. You can like or dislike King, he had a decent NFL career, but he's also made a living as an analyst and a coach, so he should know a lot about QBs. He consistently said Daniels is aligned to be the better pro QB. He didn't say Williams will be a bust, or that he wants him to be a bust, just that he doesn't see enough to make hi the #1. He went into a lot of technical stuff about how he throws the ball and progressions, too. Some about adversity, which he doesn't think Williams has faced, as much, which all leads to ability to transition to the NFL.

I am resigned to Williams at this point. What happens at #9 now fascinates me. So many talented players are available at that spot, but the draft seems to have 9-10 guys thought to be elite, impact, franchise players. If one of them is sitting there and there is a lot of interest Poles needs to trade off of that pick. Someone will overpay for that pick.

I read that Washington offered the #2, the first in 25 and 26, as well as the second next year, poles said no. Caleb better walk on ****ing water

• Angry
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I am not as interested in the highlights, I am interested in him running an efficient NFL offense. Highlight reel plays are great, but you win the bulk of your games by being efficient and not turning over the ball. He has gaudy stats when it comes to NOT throwing interceptions on 3rd and 4th downs. That's outstanding. He fumbles a lot. Not good. People keep saying o-line, well, sure, but I am also not a fan of the Lincoln Riley system. Former NFL QB Shaun King was on with Bernstine and Holmes on the Score this week and he likened the offense to being in a bubble. Not enough adversity. You can like or dislike King, he had a decent NFL career, but he's also made a living as an analyst and a coach, so he should know a lot about QBs. He consistently said Daniels is aligned to be the better pro QB. He didn't say Williams will be a bust, or that he wants him to be a bust, just that he doesn't see enough to make hi the #1. He went into a lot of technical stuff about how he throws the ball and progressions, too. Some about adversity, which he doesn't think Williams has faced, as much, which all leads to ability to transition to the NFL.
In my mind it’s not about whether Williams will be a bust or a success. It’s about whether you are reasonably certain he will be more valuable than the collection of picks you could get instead. Given a choice between Williams or two first-rounders and two second-rounders, I’m trading down and taking one of the other QBs.

In my mind it’s not about whether Williams will be a bust or a success. It’s about whether you are reasonably certain he will be more valuable than the collection of picks you could get instead. Given a choice between Williams or two first-rounders and two second-rounders, I’m trading down and taking one of the other QBs.
It is tricky to guarantee yourself a QB with Arizona and San Diego quite possibly trading down from the 4 and 5 slots. The draft rumoring seems to be that NE is content to take whoever is there at #3. Unless the Bears swap with Washington you could wind up with Michael Penix or Bo Nix, and if that came with a haul of picks I'd be okay with that.

One other Shaun King nugget from his interview, although he said he thinks MH Jr will be a good pro, he said a WR who doesn’t run at the combine, or at his school’s pro day is a 4.5 40 guy who doesn’t want to run next to 4.3-4.4 WRs. He said think Larry Fitzgerald for a comp, which would still be a HOF career, but perhaps not a field stretcher.

It is tricky to guarantee yourself a QB with Arizona and San Diego quite possibly trading down from the 4 and 5 slots. The draft rumoring seems to be that NE is content to take whoever is there at #3. Unless the Bears swap with Washington you could wind up with Michael Penix or Bo Nix, and if that came with a haul of picks I'd be okay with that.
I'm not high on Penix or Nix, so I wouldn't be happy with that result.

My concern with Daniels is primarily durability - he's not a huge guy. If not for the UNC connection, I'd be okay with settling for Maye. Caleb has consistently been an excellent QB and has the best odds of succeeding imo.

JJ McCarthy is the most perplexing draft mover to me - I think he has a lot of potential, but I have no idea what his ceiling is. He just was not asked to do alot in Michigan's offense.

Reactions: hawkeyez
I am resigned to Williams at this point. What happens at #9 now fascinates me. So many talented players are available at that spot, but the draft seems to have 9-10 guys thought to be elite, impact, franchise players. If one of them is sitting there and there is a lot of interest Poles needs to trade off of that pick. Someone will overpay for that pick.
If the Bears can walk out of there with Caleb and Odunze I will be thrilled. I think Odunze is the perfect character guy that Poles loves. I'm not convinced that Poles won't trade up to try to get Harrison either. That would be an incredible draft.

I think the Bears are 100% sold on Williams. Nothing they have learned has scared them to someone else or to trade down.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Has Williams even visited any other team? Last I heard, he had not. The Bears are taking Williams. Yes, #9 is more interesting at this point. I highly doubt they trade down. WR is deeper than T or Edge this year, so I could see them taking a T or an Edge at 9…and the Edge might be the first defensive end player off the board.

Has Williams even visited any other team? Last I heard, he had not. The Bears are taking Williams. Yes, #9 is more interesting at this point. I highly doubt they trade down. WR is deeper than T or Edge this year, so I could see them taking a T or an Edge at 9…and the Edge might be the first defensive end player off the board.
Here is my concern about taking a LT. Of the 3 positions people are discussing for Chicago, I think Tackle is the one where the draft pick is going to very possibly struggle to win the job. It is far from a guarantee that Alt, for example, could beat out Braxton Jones. That would mean you just drafted a swing tackle with the 9th pick. I think the best WR on the board - if it's one of the big 3 - will walk in and be the #3 WR on day one. I think whomever they would pick at DE would be the starter opposite Sweat on Day 1. If that makes sense. They would have to be damn sure a guy is going to beat out Jones if they were to pick an LT at 9.

Reactions: win1forthe
Here is my concern about taking a LT. Of the 3 positions people are discussing for Chicago, I think Tackle is the one where the draft pick is going to very possibly struggle to win the job. It is far from a guarantee that Alt, for example, could beat out Braxton Jones. That would mean you just drafted a swing tackle with the 9th pick. I think the best WR on the board - if it's one of the big 3 - will walk in and be the #3 WR on day one. I think whomever they would pick at DE would be the starter opposite Sweat on Day 1. If that makes sense. They would have to be damn sure a guy is going to beat out Jones if they were to pick an LT at 9.
Yeah, that totally makes sense. From what I have heard, though, is that Alt would be better than Jones and Jones becomes the swing tackle. I love the idea of getting Williams more help on the oline, if you are investing the #1 pick in the draft, you better protect him...literally.

That said, I think you can make a compelling case for drafting a T, Edge or WR. The nightmare scenario is that they keep #9 and draft a safety or TE. Whomever they draft at 9 needs to step in and be a starter immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT