ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2023 thread*****

Rizzo opted out of his contract. Interesting.
This is an interesting time of year. Rizzo opted out and the Padres/Phillies declined team options on Wil Myers and Jean Segura today. There are a lot of paths to a competitive team, so I’m going to do my best to hold judgement until the Cubs are much closer to what might be the finished offseason.

I, personally, don’t want Rizzo, but I find it hard to believe that he would opt out without a plan already in mind. And I doubt the list of suitors for Rizzo would be very long.

I, personally, don’t want Rizzo, but I find it hard to believe that he would opt out without a plan already in mind. And I doubt the list of suitors for Rizzo would be very long.
It’s not a high bar to make opting out worth it. He only had 1 year left for $16M. I have no doubt that he can beat that deal, particularly in terms of years. Yankees might bring him back for a couple more years or some team might give him a 3 year deal worth $45-60M, maybe with an option.

We see the back injuries and all that, but he still played 130 games in 2022 and was a 2.4 fWAR player with a 132 wRC+. He’s only had 2 seasons under 125 wRC+ in the last 9 years, one of which was the short 2020 season when Rizz is a career slow starter. Whoever signs him has to know he’ll miss 30+ games, but he’ll produce when he’s healthy. I would also expect his value to go up a little without the shift.

I think the Cubs-Rizzo relationship has moved on, but I don’t have much doubt that Rizzo will find a home - he’s hit too well for too many years for 30 teams to just ignore him.

I don’t think he’ll be ignored, and maybe there’s something in the works with the Yankees. Again, I don’t think you opt out with no plan or idea in place. I don’t think the door is completely shut with the Cubs but I don’t think it’s likely either.

I don’t think he’ll be ignored, and maybe there’s something in the works with the Yankees. Again, I don’t think you opt out with no plan or idea in place. I don’t think the door is completely shut with the Cubs but I don’t think it’s likely either.
He likely has some ideas, as surely his agent has been taking calls. I just don’t see his 1yr/$16M left on that contract as a particularly big gamble. I think he’ll clear it pretty easily, even if it’s just tacking on a couple years at a similar price. I’d be more of an advocate for him to come back to Chicago if it wasn’t for Mervis. Rizzo will always be an all-time favorite, but there’s no reason to block the kid and they’re not going to run a L-L platoon.

The only person to block Mervis will be himself. But the Schwindel ship has sailed and I can’t imagine going into next year with Mervis as your primary 1B, so I bet they add a veteran who can DH and play 1B. Of course, you could have Wisdom play some 1B. I’m sure there will plenty of options.

The only person to block Mervis will be himself. But the Schwindel ship has sailed and I can’t imagine going into next year with Mervis as your primary 1B, so I bet they add a veteran who can DH and play 1B. Of course, you could have Wisdom play some 1B. I’m sure there will plenty of options.
I think they’ll pick up someone on a 1-2 year deal to allow Mervis to ease in. I think the Cubs need to have another choice at 1B in case Mervis struggles and/or isn’t ready for the full load…and if they have someone to platoon or share time with at 1B and DH, it helps the Cubs be competitive without putting a ton of pressure on Mervis to be the guy.

For those reasons, I can’t see the Cubs going after Josh Bell, who will want a pretty solid contract over probably 4 or more years…and Rizzo probably gets a deal for 3-4 also and it may be hard to start splitting time between Mervis and Rizzo when they’re both lefty. Could see Abreu for 1-2 years or someone cheaper.

It’s not a high bar to make opting out worth it. He only had 1 year left for $16M. I have no doubt that he can beat that deal, particularly in terms of years. Yankees might bring him back for a couple more years or some team might give him a 3 year deal worth $45-60M, maybe with an option.

We see the back injuries and all that, but he still played 130 games in 2022 and was a 2.4 fWAR player with a 132 wRC+. He’s only had 2 seasons under 125 wRC+ in the last 9 years, one of which was the short 2020 season when Rizz is a career slow starter. Whoever signs him has to know he’ll miss 30+ games, but he’ll produce when he’s healthy. I would also expect his value to go up a little without the shift.

I think the Cubs-Rizzo relationship has moved on, but I don’t have much doubt that Rizzo will find a home - he’s hit too well for too many years for 30 teams to just ignore him.
I am too lazy to look up his home/away splits, but I doubt he will find a better home ballpark than Yankee Stadium.

I am too lazy to look up his home/away splits, but I doubt he will find a better home ballpark than Yankee Stadium.
Not surprisingly, he hit better at Yankee Stadium, but the split differences weren’t profound.

Home: .222/.348/.492/.840 with 30 extra-base hits, including 19 HRs
Away: .225/.325/.465/.790 with 24 extra-base hits, including 13 HRs

Expect the batting average to go up, maybe significantly (though he will be pitched differently with the shift off), and that could mean a few more RF gap doubles without the rover in there to cut off the hard-hit balls.

Certainly Yankee Stadium would be one of the best parks for him. Baseball Savant has a HR expectancy chart that takes all of his Statcast data (exit velo/launch angle/etc) and projects how many of his hit balls would have been HRs in each park. Here are the results:
  1. Cincinnati: 40 HRs
  2. Texas: 38 HRs
  3. Yankee Stadium/Arizona/Colorado: 36 HRs
Wrigley came in tied for 12th at 31. Yankee Stadium is certainly one of his best-case scenario ballparks. It’ll be interesting to see how much the Yanks work to keep him and who else jumps into the fray.

Cubs offering Contreras a qualifying offer and he’s declining it, so he’ll be a free agent.

Cubs offering Contreras a qualifying offer and he’s declining it, so he’ll be a free agent.
As expected. I’ll be curious what he signs for….and someday, I’d love to find out the real reasons the Cubs made zero effort in 4 years to extend him.

Reactions: win1forthe
The Cubs didn’t like his defense and are ready to sign another defensive/pitcher-friendly first catcher to replace him. Plus, I hadn’t seen that the Cubs would have received Jose Urquidy from Houston until the trade got nixed by the Astros.

As mentioned in the 2022 thread, Japanese pitcher Kodai Senga is coming to the US next season. There will not be a posting fee, he will be a free agent. He would be a very good middle of the rotation guy, and the Cubs are legitimately rumored to be in on him. As mentioned in the article he's a good baseball fit, but there are a lot of marketing synergies for a team like the Cubs.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...-of-his-deal-so-he-can-enter-mlb-free-agency/
The Cubs have already been in contact with Senga, or his agent, anyway. Senga and Seiya Suzuki share the same agent. That might be beneficial for the Cubs.

The Cubs didn’t like his defense and are ready to sign another defensive/pitcher-friendly first catcher to replace him. Plus, I hadn’t seen that the Cubs would have received Jose Urquidy from Houston until the trade got nixed by the Astros.
I am very curious about where the Cubs go at catcher. They value position flexibility so much I can't see them adding another good glove, low bat catcher. They will want to add someone who can hit, or who might be defensively limited but can be effective at a corner infield spot or DH. All signs point towards adding a premium SS, a stick at 1B, and a mid range pitcher. The pitcher may come via trade, and I wonder if there may be a catcher out there that they can add via trade, too?

Reactions: hawkifann
That explains short-term stuff, but not why, over the course of the last 4 years they never even made a token effort to extend him long-term.

Drew Smyly has officially declined his end of the mutual option year. Sounds like he and the Cubs are still interested in getting a deal done, though.

Reactions: lucas80
Drew Smyly has officially declined his end of the mutual option year. Sounds like he and the Cubs are still interested in getting a deal done, though.
I think this works out in everyone's interest in the end. 2 years is probably a fair deal they can eventually reach, and it keeps him off the 40 man for awhile. Now, maybe he does go somewhere else, but both sides are sending out the right vibes.

I think this works out in everyone's interest in the end. 2 years is probably a fair deal they can eventually reach, and it keeps him off the 40 man for awhile. Now, maybe he does go somewhere else, but both sides are sending out the right vibes.
Yep, and I think both sides are genuine. Something like 2/$15-18M is a fair price for what Smyly brings and a nice raise for him. Maybe even 2/$20M with an option. I think he’s genuine about liking Chicago. He rehabbed here in 2017-2018 and then still came back.

Not shocked over Bote. I still think they want Wieck back if, if, he can get right physically.

With free agents officially fair game, the offseason is here. In this week’s episode I take a detailed look at the free agent market and what it will take for the Cubs to go from 74 wins to postseason contention.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
As far as I could tell, they all cleared waivers and were assigned to Iowa. Not totally shocked, but a little surprised nobody claimed any of them, particularly Crook.

I believe they can all elect free agency including bote but no chance he does.

I believe they can all elect free agency including bote but no chance he does.
I saw a later tweet that most of them did elect for free agency. It doesn’t rule out them signing back with the Cubs, but I did jump the gun with that post. I forgot that the Cubs making the assignment then triggered action for them. I’ll find them and put them in here because there were also a number of minor league guys, including Dakota Mekkes from “The Compound”, who chose free agency.

And correct on Bote - he had a choice, but if he elected free agency, he’d be declining the 2 years/$10M remaining on his contract. $5M per season isn’t going to prevent the Cubs from doing anything they want to do, so having a guy like Bote at AAA isn’t the worst insurance policy in the world.

I was a little surprised to see Weick elect free agency. The Cubs have carried him through multiple extended injury rehabs and I thought they would be able to get him back on a minor league deal (maybe they still will and he just wants to test the market first) while he rehabs the Tommy John.

Adrian Sampson and Javier Assad- these guys really pitched well. Any chance it wasn’t a fluke and that we have something here? It seems like we have a ton of 4,5 starter candidates and very few TORs.

Mancini, Bell, Abreu and Kiermaier…names associated with the Cubs at the winter meetings.
They check boxes. I expect an upgrade at CF like Kiermaier. Someone who won't block the ascent of a home grown prospect. Bell is a switch hitter, and can do a little more than Abreu, but I wonder if the Cubs want him a little more because of the intangibles. He does worry me a little, though. His bat might be getting old.

They check boxes. I expect an upgrade at CF like Kiermaier. Someone who won't block the ascent of a home grown prospect. Bell is a switch hitter, and can do a little more than Abreu, but I wonder if the Cubs want him a little more because of the intangibles. He does worry me a little, though. His bat might be getting old.
I think he’s losing a little power, but if you look at his numbers from last year (Abreu), they’re solid. HRs were down, but he hit 40 doubles. wRC+ was in line with career norms, strikeouts were down and walks were up. Hard hit rate and barrels were up. I can certainly live with that as a bridge to Mervis….and if Mervis turns out not to be the guy, there’s always a 1B with power available.

Adrian Sampson and Javier Assad- these guys really pitched well. Any chance it wasn’t a fluke and that we have something here? It seems like we have a ton of 4,5 starter candidates and very few TORs.
The measurements and pure “stuff“ ratings maybe point to fluke, but Adrian Sampson’s command was first rate. Assad doesn’t blow you away with the eye test, but he’s been consistently productime in the Minors and then carried that to Chicago.

All that said, I don’t expect those guys to be in Chicago’s rotation to start the year unless it’s due to injuries. They are excellent depth though. Look around baseball and with young pitchers hitting a wall, guys going on and off the IL, teams need to go into each season with at least 8 starter options. Right now, the Cubs can’t be 100% sure that Hendricks will be ready and Alzolay and Thompson are best out of the bullpen. These guys are excellent resources to have at the ready.

Glasnow is fascinating. Healthy, he’s an ace-level starter. He’s coming off TJ surgery and looked strong at the end of the season. He’s on a 2 yr/$30M deal that’s backloaded, so he’ll make (IIRC) 6M this year and $24M in 2024, which makes him someone the Rays would likely want to deal, and with the injuries, selling now when he appears to be strong would make sense.

Rays have a Rule 5 draft roster crunch of their own, so the return would likely need to be either ML-ready talent or non-40 man roster prospects. I think the Cubs would have the prospect capital to get this done. Glasnow would be a fantastic high-upside play for not a tremendous amount of money.

Reactions: lucas80
Vazquez would be the guy to target. If not him trade for Danny Janssen

Glasnow is fascinating. Healthy, he’s an ace-level starter. He’s coming off TJ surgery and looked strong at the end of the season. He’s on a 2 yr/$30M deal that’s backloaded, so he’ll make (IIRC) 6M this year and $24M in 2024, which makes him someone the Rays would likely want to deal, and with the injuries, selling now when he appears to be strong would make sense.

Rays have a Rule 5 draft roster crunch of their own, so the return would likely need to be either ML-ready talent or non-40 man roster prospects. I think the Cubs would have the prospect capital to get this done. Glasnow would be a fantastic high-upside play for not a tremendous amount of money.
The Rays do this every year because, well, because they are good and generate talent. They are always making pre Rule 5 deals to clear up space and cleve off payroll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT