ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2023 thread*****

Another mention of the Cub's interest in Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Jed Hoyer is going to Japan to personally scout him. The expected price tag is going to be around $200 million. And, it isn't like Suzuki needs a playmate, I do think there is something to the comment at the end about adding another Japanese player in order to boost marketability.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...apan-to-watch-yoshinobu-yamamotos-next-start/

Cubs are damned lucky they didn't get swept.

smh
Cubs doing Cubs things.

Win series vs teams like the Braves and Reds, but nearly get swept vs teams like the Rockies. Like clockwork.

its-just-what-you-do-brian-m.gif

Another mention of the Cub's interest in Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Jed Hoyer is going to Japan to personally scout him. The expected price tag is going to be around $200 million. And, it isn't like Suzuki needs a playmate, I do think there is something to the comment at the end about adding another Japanese player in order to boost marketability.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2023/09/12/cubs-president-jed-hoyer-is-reportedly-going-to-japan-to-watch-yoshinobu-yamamotos-next-start
No more Japanese players

Well, tomorrow is an off day, finally. I just looked at the Cubs schedule of late and they just played 26 games in 27 days, which seems a bit unusual. I wonder if that trip to London threw an overall monkey wrench in the works for the entire season. They only played 2 games in 5 days over that trip and, well, somewhere those off days have to be made up.

I forget which year it was, maybe 2018, when the Cubs played something like 42 games in 42 days the last 6 weeks of the season due to rainouts. That takes a toll on a team for sure.

Hopefully a day of rest tomorrow and again next week will give them some fresh legs.

The Cubs this offseason:
1. Resign Cody Bellinger
2. Trade Ian Happ for whatever you can get
3. Keep developing the players in minor leagues
4. Find a stop gap at third base until Matt Shaw is ready
5. Sign a good bullpen arm or two

I’m hoping a year from now the starting outfield is PCA, Caissie and Alcantara.

Well, tomorrow is an off day, finally. I just looked at the Cubs schedule of late and they just played 26 games in 27 days, which seems a bit unusual. I wonder if that trip to London threw an overall monkey wrench in the works for the entire season. They only played 2 games in 5 days over that trip and, well, somewhere those off days have to be made up.

I forget which year it was, maybe 2018, when the Cubs played something like 42 games in 42 days the last 6 weeks of the season due to rainouts. That takes a toll on a team for sure.

Hopefully a day of rest tomorrow and again next week will give them some fresh legs.
One plus side it’s a short flight to Phoenix. I assume a lot of the guys will be allowed to stay at their Arizona homes versus the team hotel. I think they stay close to Sloan Park as a team, anyway. Point being, it’s a good chance to rest up in more comfortable surroundings versus most road trip cities.

One plus side it’s a short flight to Phoenix. I assume a lot of the guys will be allowed to stay at their Arizona homes versus the team hotel. I think they stay close to Sloan Park as a team, anyway. Point being, it’s a good chance to rest up in more comfortable surroundings versus most road trip cities.
Looks like the Cubs caught some breaks in tonight's games, or totally blew another opportunity, depending on one's perspective. D'backs, PHL, and Brew Crew all lost keeping the Cubs 2 games ahead for the 2nd WC spot, although if they had won the last 2 days, they would have overtaken PHL. Of course, Cincy won again tonight and are tied with ARZ for the last wildcard spot, while SF and MIA are only 0.5 game behind those 2 teams. ARZ is feeling the heat from all 3 of those teams and the D'backs ace Gallen got clobbered tonight by the Mets who seem to own the D'backs. Cubs need to go to ARZ and take 2 of 3, and hopefully can beat COL and PGH back at Wrigley next week. Lots of baseball yet to be played. Gotta get the bats in action with some timely hitting thrown in again. Pitching matchups in ARZ should be favorable, just like they were in COL...🤪

Reactions: lucas80

It’s a combo of the London trip and baseball setting up the Cubs-White Sox series as 2 2-game series, where they had M & Th off around each series. Throw in the double header a couple Fridays ago in Cincy, which negated the off-day before it (due to rain makeup) and they are where they are. This day off is coming at a good time and the Cubs have a day off in each of the 2 weeks remaining, which should help.

Good day for the Cubs, Cincinnati, Miami, and Arizona all got beat today. But, Milwaukee won. The Giants game in Colorado was postponed due to bad weather.

The Mets pounded Arizona's 2 best pitchers in back-to-back games. 11-1 today and 7-1 last night.

Fulmer back on the IL, and Palencia back to the MLB roster. I know Palencia never left the team, but I am wondering if they value him more than Rucker? He has good stuff, but lacks control. He isn't inside the circle of trust.
Hughes or Burdi have got to be getting close to being activated.

Gotta break through against Zach Davies tonight. I'm in a bad place this past week, so, we'll make him look like vintage Jack Morris, probably.

Reactions: TheCainer
Fulmer back on the IL, and Palencia back to the MLB roster. I know Palencia never left the team, but I am wondering if they value him more than Rucker? He has good stuff, but lacks control. He isn't inside the circle of trust.
Hughes or Burdi have got to be getting close to being activated.
Seems like the BP has just fallen apart lately. So many injuries. I'm not sure who the high leverage guys are at the moment. I would think Leiter would be but seems like he has struggled of late. Maybe it's time to bring back the Complete Game. I miss those days.

I'm so glad they went to these new extra inning rules so it pretty much guarantees that every extra inning game goes at least 12 innings. It's too easy to score the runner on second.

Reactions: lucas80
Couldn't get Morel home from 3B with nobody out in the 10th. Bellinger's HBP that turns into an out with another opportunity to blow the game open. Replays really hurt the Cubs tonight. Happ's CS was another call that was overturned that would have resulted in a run.

SMH

Seems like the BP has just fallen apart lately. So many injuries. I'm not sure who the high leverage guys are at the moment. I would think Leiter would be but seems like he has struggled of late. Maybe it's time to bring back the Complete Game. I miss those days.
It’s almost inevitable when you spend 3 months going to 4 guys in all big spots.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT