ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

I can’t believe they passed up a hell of a ball player in Jordan Montgomery.
It’s entirely possible they’ll pay $100M less for Imanaga, who may well be just as good. Reports are that Imanaga will be $15M per, so that’s like 5/$75M or so while Montgomery (who I also like) is looking for $175M

The 42nd beat free agent.

200.gif

I guess it has to start somewhere.

He'll be 30 this year.
I’m excited about this signing. He works the zone and has lively pitches. 91-93 mph and lots of international competition to gauge him off of.
Now, collect some relievers and a bat and we are in decent shape to start the season.

Reactions: hawkifann
The Josh Hader to the Cubs rumors are being pushed.
Meh. I'm fine with some depth BP help, and a bat or two. In the system there are plenty of potential high leverage arms, too.

The Josh Hader to the Cubs rumors are being pushed.
Meh. I'm fine with some depth BP help, and a bat or two. In the system there are plenty of potential high leverage arms, too.
I won’t be mad if they sign him, but I absolutely do not care if they don’t.

The Shōta Imanaga contract is wild: 4/$53M as the base, but some interesting caveats:
  • After year 2 and year 3, Cubs have the option to add a 5th year to make it a 5/$80M contract
  • In each of those years, if the Cubs decide not to add the 5th year, Imanaga can opt out
If the Cubs add the 5th year after year 2, Imanaga has no opt-outs. If neither side uses their options, it’s just a 4 year deal.

The reality of this deal is that if Imanaga is even solid, it’s likely worth picking up the option. If he’s hurt or terrible, he won’t opt out.

Craig Counsell is going have to be a miracle worker this season. Having to put up with the Japanese antics caused by Sukuzi and Imanaga.
Then he’ll still have to put up with Ian Happ. He’s going to wish he stayed in Milwaukee.

Craig Counsell is going have to be a miracle worker this season. Having to put up with the Japanese antics caused by Sukuzi and Imanaga.
Then he’ll still have to put up with Ian Happ. He’s going to wish he stayed in Milwaukee.

Going to wager he doesn't. :)

I heard that Michael Busch was going to be the centerpiece of an offer for Cease. I never really bought it, but it does show what kind of a prospect he could be. Provides some pop and positional flexibility.

So now the Cubs get to choose between Shaw and Busch as future 3B? Tell me about Almonte?

Almonte has bounced around and had a really good 2022 season, but not so hot 23. He has posted good strikeout numbers, but really is just another guy in the bullpen.

Hopefully Michael Busch ends up being really good, as I don't like losing Ferris at all!
Nope, don't like losing Jackson Ferris one bit.
I get it, though. It also tells us that the organization feels very strong about arm depth.
I think this deal also might be a shot across the bow of Scott Boras when it comes to Rhys Hoskins. There is a deal to be made, there, but not for the years Boras wants. He isn't great at 1st, but Busch could stand there an not kill you as long he hits.

Reactions: darylhawk
I like the deal. Ferris may very well be good, but right now he's 19 and hasn't pitched above Myrtle Beach. He's at least 2 years away. Hope it's also promising, but 18 and just drafted out of high school.

Busch could play 1B or 3B and gives lefty power to the lineup now.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
The Cubs are still well under the first tier of the luxury tax, even with Tucker Barnhart and Trey Mancini splitting $10 million between the two of them.
They are well positioned to add bullpen help, a bat, and still have the ability to add payroll via a mid-season trade. Plus, they have said they will go over the luxury tax threshold for a playoff. run.

The Cubs are still well under the first tier of the luxury tax, even with Tucker Barnhart and Trey Mancini splitting $10 million between the two of them.
They are well positioned to add bullpen help, a bat, and still have the ability to add payroll via a mid-season trade. Plus, they have said they will go over the luxury tax threshold for a playoff. run.
With the Imanaga signing, they went to about $36M-ish under. This trade wouldn't move much, as both guys are very cheap.

Hopefully Michael Busch ends up being really good, as I don't like losing Ferris at all!
Hard losing Ferris, but I would have lost my sh*t if it had been Horton.
As good as Ferris is, he's got a funky delivery and looks like an arm injury waiting to happen. Not that I want him to get hurt now, but that's always been my concern with him.
Busch could be am impact player with the Major League club this season, and I think the Cubs got a solid bullpen arm, also. Only time will tell who got the better end of the deal.

Hard losing Ferris, but I would have lost my sh*t if it had been Horton.
As good as Ferris is, he's got a funky delivery and looks like an arm injury waiting to happen. Not that I want him to get hurt now, but that's always been my concern with him.
Busch could be am impact player with the Major League club this season, and I think the Cubs got a solid bullpen arm, also. Only time will tell who got the better end of the deal.
This deal will (obviously) hinge on how good Busch proves to be. I thought back to when the Cubs picked up Aramis Ramirez from the Pirates back 2003. He had been a top prospect for Pittsburgh, but hand a run of struggles. Cubs sent one of their top prospects (Bobby Hill) to PIttsburgh. Trade wound up being a massive win for the Cubs, but you take a shot on a guy who you think can help you now.

I was/am high on Ferris. I like his funk and I think his ceiling is pretty high….but when? He’s 19 and hasn’t pitched above low-A. Even if Ferris is great, he’s probably not in the bigs until 2026 and greatness then might be, what 2027-2030? That matters, but when you deal from the farm, you’re time-shifting prospects. Busch looks great as a lefty bat. Seems to have all the power of Mervis with a much better hit tool. Still some positional questions - can play 1B, 3B, 2B….but maybe not especially strong anywhere defensively.

Also curious what this means for the offseason. I thought Bellinger and Hoskins was pretty likely, now I’m not so sure. Maybe one of them. Maybe Matt Chapman is in play (I’m still against it unless it’s a short deal).

Really good to see some things happening. It’s a reminder that there are no bonus points in the offseason for getting things done fast. I doubt this is the last trade the Cubs will make this offseason and there may be multiple.

When you project forward in the rotation, Steele looks like he’ll be there for a while. As a prospect, Ferris was behind Horton, Wicks and Brown. I expect the Cubs will continue to look at trades and FA starters pretty much every year looking for fits, so I don’t think Ferris really crushes anything at this point. Drew Gray is another guy rated just a bit below Ferris who has been rising fast now that he’s back from TJ and will be an A-Ball lefty and you know the Cubs will draft more pitching in 2024. Smart move to trade from strength.

This deal will (obviously) hinge on how good Busch proves to be. I thought back to when the Cubs picked up Aramis Ramirez from the Pirates back 2003. He had been a top prospect for Pittsburgh, but hand a run of struggles. Cubs sent one of their top prospects (Bobby Hill) to PIttsburgh. Trade wound up being a massive win for the Cubs, but you take a shot on a guy who you think can help you now.

I was/am high on Ferris. I like his funk and I think his ceiling is pretty high….but when? He’s 19 and hasn’t pitched above low-A. Even if Ferris is great, he’s probably not in the bigs until 2026 and greatness then might be, what 2027-2030? That matters, but when you deal from the farm, you’re time-shifting prospects. Busch looks great as a lefty bat. Seems to have all the power of Mervis with a much better hit tool. Still some positional questions - can play 1B, 3B, 2B….but maybe not especially strong anywhere defensively.

Also curious what this means for the offseason. I thought Bellinger and Hoskins was pretty likely, now I’m not so sure. Maybe one of them. Maybe Matt Chapman is in play (I’m still against it unless it’s a short deal).

Really good to see some things happening. It’s a reminder that there are no bonus points in the offseason for getting things done fast. I doubt this is the last trade the Cubs will make this offseason and there may be multiple.

When you project forward in the rotation, Steele looks like he’ll be there for a while. As a prospect, Ferris was behind Horton, Wicks and Brown. I expect the Cubs will continue to look at trades and FA starters pretty much every year looking for fits, so I don’t think Ferris really crushes anything at this point. Drew Gray is another guy rated just a bit below Ferris who has been rising fast now that he’s back from TJ and will be an A-Ball lefty and you know the Cubs will draft more pitching in 2024. Smart move to trade from strength.
I think Chapman became more likely, Hoskins is a longer shot, and Bellinger comes back only on a deal that the Cubs can get out of in about 4 years.
Chapman makes a lot more sense on a short term deal.

Apparently, Busch is penciled in at 1B, maybe DH. Hoskins might not be as high of a priority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT