ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread đźš˝*****

Wisdom hits the long ball, just not enough to cover for his regression in the field, and his lack of contact. He's a neat, fun loving dude, but if the team is going to be better he needs to improve or be replaced on the roster.

Reactions: win1forthe
Wisdom hits the long ball, just not enough to cover for his regression in the field, and his lack of contact. He's a neat, fun loving dude, but if the team is going to be better he needs to improve or be replaced on the roster.
In the right scenario, he can be a bench bat, but he absolutely cannot be an everyday starter and he really shouldn’t be a platoon guy in anything other than an injury scenario.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
I have a feeling the logjam is about to break, and there will be a bunch of signings in the next 7-10 days. Most players really want to know where they'll be playing at by January.

I have a feeling the logjam is about to break, and there will be a bunch of signings in the next 7-10 days. Most players really want to know where they'll be playing at by January.
Maybe…and yet if all this pushes into February, well, 🤷‍♂️

One interesting Cubs related signing today, The Blue Jays have signed Kevin Kiermaier. At times he's been rumored to be on Jed's radar, but signing with the Jays should make their interest in Bellinger slightly lower. True with the DH, and some rotation there would be ABs available, but KK is an elite defender, and he's most likely taking the bulk of the CF starts.

One interesting Cubs related signing today, The Blue Jays have signed Kevin Kiermaier. At times he's been rumored to be on Jed's radar, but signing with the Jays should make their interest in Bellinger slightly lower. True with the DH, and some rotation there would be ABs available, but KK is an elite defender, and he's most likely taking the bulk of the CF starts.
He has a nice bounce back year with Toronto but I still think they go after Taylor in possibly a platoon. And I think that would take Toronto out for Bellinger.

There seems to be a subtle shift from the people in the know about Bellinger. More rumors are floating around about him getting a higher AAV deal, with player opt outs. It seems like Boras cannot get the $300 million deal he was boasting of, and is now concentrating on maximum dollars for 2-3 years, with another bite at the free agent apple while Bellinger is in his young 30s.

There seems to be a subtle shift from the people in the know about Bellinger. More rumors are floating around about him getting a higher AAV deal, with player opt outs. It seems like Boras cannot get the $300 million deal he was boasting of, and is now concentrating on maximum dollars for 2-3 years, with another bite at the free agent apple while Bellinger is in his young 30s.
That’s probably a really good play by Bellinger and would be great for the Cubs. Bellinger would be a great keep on this team, but I do have concerns about going 6-7 years, even though he’s just 28. Cubs like him, he seems to like the Cubs and he’s a great bridge through the early years of this wave of Cubs youth.

Not one move so far that affects the 40 man roster. At least Shota Imanaga has to decide in the next 10 days.

Reactions: hawkifann
Not one move so far that affects the 40 man roster. At least Shota Imanaga has to decide in the next 10 days.
I still think there’s a good chance the Cubs come away with at least 2 of Imanaga, Bellinger and Hoskins. Suter for the pen would be a great addition as well.

I still think there’s a good chance the Cubs come away with at least 2 of Imanaga, Bellinger and Hoskins. Suter for the pen would be a great addition as well.
Does signing Colton Brewer move the needle for you?

Does signing Colton Brewer move the needle for you?
In the sense that he settles the bullpen? No. But in the sense that he’s a guy who has had success overseas and seems to be a great gamble on a minor league FA deal, I really like it. He seems like the kind of guy the Cubs have had success with. I’m all in favor of them throwing a bunch of minor league FAs at spring training to see who sticks.

Could be an interesting Cubs Convention next week, especially if no moves are made prior. I think they do something before, but I have no problem if they don’t.

Reactions: lucas80
Could be an interesting Cubs Convention next week, especially if no moves are made prior. I think they do something before, but I have no problem if they don’t.
Jed is clearly playing out a strategy. Whatever it is he’s doing, he should continue and see it through, wherever it goes, vs. just signing somebody to sign somebody for CubsCon.

Jed is clearly playing out a strategy. Whatever it is he’s doing, he should continue and see it through, wherever it goes, vs. just signing somebody to sign somebody for CubsCon.
I agree, just been talk about how interesting the event will be if they don’t have any player news and without the Ricketts’ attending. I couldn’t care less when they sign or trade players, it’ll get done.

I agree, just been talk about how interesting the event will be if they don’t have any player news and without the Ricketts’ attending. I couldn’t care less when they sign or trade players, it’ll get done.
It’ll be interesting with no moves…but I’m with you. I want an improved roster, but I don’t really care whether moves start tomorrow or Feb. 10, if they get to where they need to be. A lot of angst among Cubs fans, but looking at the guys available (Belli, Hoskins, Snell, Montgomery, Imanaga, Chapman, Hader, etc)….there are a lot of teams in the exact same boat with regard to the top guys left.

Just an FYI, but looks like Marquee is showing the Cubs Classic against the Phillies from May 17, 1979. This is the Catch-22 game the Cubs lost 23-22, I believe in 10 innings. Mike Schmidt hit 4 HRs and Dave Kingman hit 3, IIRC. Game time is 7:30.

Oh, looks like the Cubs claimed another catcher today on waivers from the Rockies. We'll soon have that market cornered.

Reactions: lucas80
Just an FYI, but looks like Marquee is showing the Cubs Classic against the Phillies from May 17, 1979. This is the Catch-22 game the Cubs lost 23-22, I believe in 10 innings. Mike Schmidt hit 4 HRs and Dave Kingman hit 3, IIRC. Game time is 7:30.

Oh, looks like the Cubs claimed another catcher today on waivers from the Rockies. We'll soon have that market cornered.
1. I barely remember that game. King Kong hit the ball really far.
2. Cornering the market on AAAA catchers, apparently. However, I am pretty sure Alvaro and Hudson have minor league deals with opt outs. Severn, claimed today, has minor league options left. The Cubs can stash him a AAA. I would suspect if there is an immediate need Alvaro comes up first, and he leaves at the first chance if he doesn't make the major league roster by whatever day his contract states. Use him as needed, then cut ties if needed. Keep Severn as depth at AAA, allowing their actual prospects time to work at Tennessee and South Bend.

Ok, Giants traded Haniger today, creating an opening in the middle of the batting order and in the outfield. They still want to make a splash in free agency. Doesn’t help the Bellinger situation.

If we lose Bellinger to SF now, that is going to suck the air out of anything possibly good this off-season.

Ok, Giants traded Haniger today, creating an opening in the middle of the batting order and in the outfield. They still want to make a splash in free agency. Doesn’t help the Bellinger situation.
Not really in the OF, the Giants added a prized free agent center fielder from South Korea. Haniger, when healthy, is best suited in RF. I am not sure Bellinger wants to play a new position in a ballpark that most likely would not be as conducive to his power numbers. Now, if he wants to DH and work in as a platoon at 1B, then, maybe.

Not really in the OF, the Giants added a prized free agent center fielder from South Korea. Haniger, when healthy, is best suited in RF. I am not sure Bellinger wants to play a new position in a ballpark that most likely would not be as conducive to his power numbers. Now, if he wants to DH and work in as a platoon at 1B, then, maybe.
I don’t think it’s as much the position as it is the bat. Currently, their 3/4/5 is Wade Jr. Wilmer Flores and Conforto. The rest of the order isn’t very inspiring. I can’t see the Giants trading away their clean-up hitter and replace him with Wilmer Flores. I still think that Bellinger is back with the Cubs, but the Giants have been very open about making another splash.

Cubs sign Shōta Imanaga, pending physical Thursday. Let’s go!
Live look at @HawkeyeHitman
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT