ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread đźš˝*****

Bellinger, Stanek and JD Martinez could be a nice finish to the offseason.

Why pay Bellinger if Pete Crow-Armstrong is good as advertised. An gold glove defense and 20 home runs and 40 steals is what PCA could give you without paying 200 million dollars.

Why pay Bellinger if Pete Crow-Armstrong is good as advertised. A gold glove defense and 20 home runs and 40 steals is what PCA could give you without paying 200 million dollars.
The key is *could*. That’s pretty much PCA’s projected ceiling, the odds of him getting there as a rookie isn’t high. Bellinger is a hedge at multiple positions. I think PCA is going to be good, but there’s no guarantee he’s ready this year. If he is, there’s no guarantee that Busch or Mervis are ready to take over 1B. There’s no guarantee corner OFs stay healthy all year. Bellinger makes a lot of sense, and I don’t think it’ll take $200M to get it done.

Reactions: TheCainer
I’d be ecstatic with those three, but I still have a hard time not addressing 3B. Of course, I would be fine with them committing to Morel there, but can’t see that happening.

IMO, Martinez would be a great bat to acquire at the DH position, but that would seem to direct Morel to the 3B position. If that didn't work out defensively, that would seem to make Morel a trade piece at that point.

Hopefully Bellinger can be resigned to start in CF while PCA continues to develop in AAA while Busch takes over at 1B and Morel moves into 3B, with the provision that if PCA comes on faster than anticipated and gets called up to the big leagues, Bellinger takes over at 1B while Busch moves over to 3B if Morel doesn't work out at that position. If Morel can handle 3B, he and Busch could rotate between 3B and DH and give the Cubs the option of rotating the 2 depending on if a LH or RH starting pitcher was scheduled to face the Cubs that day.

Have there been rumors attaching the Cubs to Martinez?
Not specifically, but there have been rumors about Belli or Chapman and one other bat, which would seem to point to a JD, Soler, Belt or Turner type.

Excellent signing. He's a solid reliever and the deal doesn't tie up too much money. Bellinger just needs to decide if he wants slightly more money to play in Toronto, or take a lot of money to play in a ballpark that he hits well in.

Excellent signing. He's a solid reliever and the deal doesn't tie up too much money. Bellinger just needs to decide if he wants slightly more money to play in Toronto, or take a lot of money to play in a ballpark that he hits well in.
Love the Neris pickup. He’s been solid for years and then the Astros did their player dev magic on him. He’s got a nasty split and while Adbert is going to be the Cubs closer, I’m sure, Neris has done it in the past, so if there are injuries or even just long stretches of close games, he can step in and do that if he’s needed. Cubs pen is starting to actually look like it has the potential to be deep.

Let’s just get Bellinger done and then maybe add one more cheaper bat, like a JD Martinez, Jorge Soler or Brandon Belt.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
The Cubs will need an excellent bullpen every fifth day with the Japanese garbage going out there. Look for Hayden Wesneski to go six innings each of his appearances.

Just a follow up on the Neris signing from BN:

A procedural item to keep in mind: when the Hector Neris signing goes official, the Cubs are going to have to clear a spot from their currently-full 40-man roster. A surprise trade is certainly possible, but a DFA and waivers move is always more likely. The Cubs don’t necessarily have anyone on the 40-man right now that they would be COMPLETELY OK with losing, but there are some bubble guys that they might try to sneak through waivers if they can’t trade them in a DFA window – Michael Rucker, Caleb Kilian, Brennen Davis, Keegan Thompson, and maybe even option-less relievers like Mark Leiter Jr. or Yency Almonte could get some consideration. It’s a bit of a tricky spot, because I could see any of those guys getting claimed.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Just a follow up on the Neris signing from BN:

A procedural item to keep in mind: when the Hector Neris signing goes official, the Cubs are going to have to clear a spot from their currently-full 40-man roster. A surprise trade is certainly possible, but a DFA and waivers move is always more likely. The Cubs don’t necessarily have anyone on the 40-man right now that they would be COMPLETELY OK with losing, but there are some bubble guys that they might try to sneak through waivers if they can’t trade them in a DFA window – Michael Rucker, Caleb Kilian, Brennen Davis, Keegan Thompson, and maybe even option-less relievers like Mark Leiter Jr. or Yency Almonte could get some consideration. It’s a bit of a tricky spot, because I could see any of those guys getting claimed.
This is a big swing in the Cubs roster. The Cubs definitely have guys they can move on from, but they are definitely getting to the point where there a lot of guys that are too good to just waive/release. I have to assume Rucker is next, then likely Kilian and Davis….but it doesn’t make sense to carry all of Madrigal, Wisdom & Mastrobuoni. Would not be at all surprised to see a Madrigal and/or Wisdom trade.

This is a big swing in the Cubs roster. The Cubs definitely have guys they can move on from, but they are definitely getting to the point where they’re a lot of guys that are too good to just waive/release. I have to assume Rucker is next, then likely Kilian and Davis….but it doesn’t make sense to carry all of Madrigal, Wisdom & Mastrobuoni. Would not be at all surprised to see a Madrigal and/or Wisdom trade.
There’s two Japanese players and David Ross adopted son who can be released anytime,

This is a big swing in the Cubs roster. The Cubs definitely have guys they can move on from, but they are definitely getting to the point where there a lot of guys that are too good to just waive/release. I have to assume Rucker is next, then likely Kilian and Davis….but it doesn’t make sense to carry all of Madrigal, Wisdom & Mastrobuoni. Would not be at all surprised to see a Madrigal and/or Wisdom trade.
It's amazing how far down the prospect list Davis has fallen. I know it's due to injuries, but at some point the question has to be asked if he is ever going to be 100% again.

It's amazing how far down the prospect list Davis has fallen. I know it's due to injuries, but at some point the question has to be asked if he is ever going to be 100% again.
It’s a fair question….and also, he’s 24. Miguel Amaya looked cooked and then he came back. The interesting/torturous thing with Brennan is that his talent has never been disputed. When healthy, he’s always performed. Can he get back? We’ll learn a lot this season. I’m rooting for him, as all accounts are that he’s a wonderful dude, and really talented.

It’s a fair question….and also, he’s 24. Miguel Amaya looked cooked and then he came back. The interesting/torturous thing with Brennan is that his talent has never been disputed. When healthy, he’s always performed. Can he get back? We’ll learn a lot this season. I’m rooting for him, as all accounts are that he’s a wonderful dude, and really talented.
His dad is Reggie Theus.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
Listening to the Score yesterday and supposedly team sources say Davis 100 percent. They have carried him on the 40 man for a lot of years, so this is make or break.
If a trade is not in the works I’d say Rucker is going to be released.

For any of you that love going way deep into the mindset of pitching, this video from Pitcher List (great follow on Twitter, YouTube, etc) is great. They’re working on a series where they sit down with starting pitchers and walk through every pitch they threw in a start. This one is Jameson Taillon from his Sept. 8 start vs. Arizona. The Cubs lost this game 1-0 to Gallen, but Jamo threw 6 scoreless, giving up 1 hit and 1 walk with 9 Ks. He talks through all 77 pitches. It’s lengthy, but if you’re into this sort of thing, totally worth every minute.

The Jays signed Justin Turner. I assume this doesn't affect the Matt Chapman market too much, but his options seem to be down to the Cubs and the Giants. And, I don't know how much Jed is pursuing him. I can see a lot of this being Boras trying to push the Giants price up.

The Jays signed Justin Turner. I assume this doesn't affect the Matt Chapman market too much, but his options seem to be down to the Cubs and the Giants. And, I don't know how much Jed is pursuing him. I can see a lot of this being Boras trying to push the Giants price up.
Another thing hitting Belli & Chapman is the QO tied to them. I’m sure there’s some reluctance to give up a comp pick for Chapman. Obviously, that’s not in play for Belli if he comes back to the Cubs.

Agree with this. I don't see how you carry all 3; but all three offer slightly different things.

What I haven't heard talked about in a while is where Mervis fits in anymore. He didn't exactly have a ton of time to try to establish himself as a MLB 1st baseman; but seems to be he is being written off, at least for this year. You, or anyone else, hearing anything on him?

Agree with this. I don't see how you carry all 3; but all three offer slightly different things.

What I haven't heard talked about in a while is where Mervis fits in anymore. He didn't exactly have a ton of time to try to establish himself as a MLB 1st baseman; but seems to be he is being written off, at least for this year. You, or anyone else, hearing anything on him?
I’m not hearing much specifically, but I think he’ll get a chance to compete. The final roster construction is also still very much up in the air. Busch seems to be a better version of Mervis - similar power, better overall hit tool, slightly more defensive flexibility, but he also still has to show he can hit big league pitching.

I think we’ll see trades continuing up to Opening Day (like last year when they traded McKinstry to Detroit). Mervis & Madrigal make the most sense to trade with Wisdom not far behind. As a utility player/bench bat, I think Mastrobuoni brings more to the table than Madrigal - better glove at more positions (can play SS), more pop, faster. Could be Wisdom or Mervis for bench power bat….though if the Cubs don’t get Bellinger, Mervis could be part of a DH platoon, perhaps.

A Chapman signing would also create a different kind of logjam - Wisdom/Madrigal/Morel no longer looking at primary time at 3B, so Madrigal becomes even more expendable, as I think you’d still keep Mastro as bench utility, potentially Wisdom for power/DH.

There are a LOT of questions to answer still.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT