ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread đźš˝*****

I don’t like the Cardinals.
That is all.
GIF by Snowpiercer on TNT

Lance Lynn could easily be a 11 WAR pitcher. Beyond that, it seems like they are counting on a lot of fairy dust to be sprinkled around Busch Stadium.

Yeah, I don’t get it. They were horrible last year and I don’t see many upgrades. Maybe I’m missing them … because I’m biased as I hate them so much.

My no-inside-knowledge and probably far-fetched prediction is that Bellinger signs a 1 year deal wherever he signs.
I think he’ll get 3-4 years with 1-2 opt-outs on the back end. I’d love for the Cubs to get him for 4/$125M or something with opt-outs after years 2 and 3 (if a 4yr deal). Minimizes Cubs risk and also gives Belli a shot to hit FA again at 30 if he has a couple good years to re-establish his value.

Reactions: win1forthe
@ICWestfan
Matt Shaw is one of the non roster invitees.
I don’t think he’s a realistic option to break camp with the big league club, but it’s a nice recognition and shows his promise.

@ICWestfan
I don’t think he’s a realistic option to break camp with the big league club, but it’s a nice recognition and shows his promise.
I think Cade Horton not being on the list is a sign that they’re going to ramp him up very slowly to ensure he stays in the innings range their targeting. Probably a good sign for his ascension, actually - if they saw him as unlikely for the bigs in 2024, they could just have him do his thing and just shut him down when he gets to the target. If they think he might come up, they’re going to want him to just be able to go.

Reactions: darylhawk
@ICWestfan
Sweet! Morel and Shaw and play 2! I don't get into the long haul stuff like you and @hawkifann do, but I'll take that as a good sign.

Reactions: hawkifann
Someone is out pushing the Bellinger to the Phillies rumor today. I don't see it.
Boras is really dragging it out this offseason. Who knows, his clients often win large contracts, but FA is your chance to pick where you play. As a GM I'd want guys in camp on time, and he's out floating the idea of running his own ST.
I also wonder if he's misread the market as several teams appear to be in flux over TV revenue.

Sweet! Morel and Shaw and play 2! I don't get into the long haul stuff like you and @hawkifann do, but I'll take that as a good sign.
Who knows how this will all turn out, but a guy drafted 9 months ago getting a major league camp invite is never a bad sign.

It's a small thing, but Jorge Soler has signed a 3 year deal with the Giants. That seems to push them out of the Bellinger discussion. He isn't going to play CF or 1B, but it's $14 million a year, and they signed Jung Hoo Lee to play CF. That doesn't leave as many bats for Bellinger at DH with the Soler signing.

Since nothing else is going on, a BN article with tidbits. Could the Cubs be preparing to go with an in house platoon system if Bellinger goes elsewhere, and is Alexander Canario part of that platoon?
For all of you upset the Cubs didn’t sign Xander Boagarts last year, he’s being pushed to 2B already. Just 10 more years, Padres fans.

Reactions: hawkifann
If PCA and Busch are performing well in spring training. Then there’s no need to sign Bellinger.

Since nothing else is going on, a BN article with tidbits. Could the Cubs be preparing to go with an in house platoon system if Bellinger goes elsewhere, and is Alexander Canario part of that platoon?
For all of you upset the Cubs didn’t sign Xander Boagarts last year, he’s being pushed to 2B already. Just 10 more years, Padres fans.
Canario is going to take over for Happ or Suzuki by May 15.

I’m all-in for this.
I'm all for this, too, but they lost the opportunity to let him work at 3B in the Dominican League over the Winter. He played there a bit, but then he moved around. Now, the teams don't control what happens in Winter leagues, but they should have pressed, or told him to come to Arizona and had him work on his footwork and throwing angle with a coach.

The Jays are probably out on Bellinger. They signed Vogelbach who will mostly DH, but could stand at 1B a few games per season, and Edourdo Escobar who will take over at 3B, but maybe takes a few DH starts over a season, too.

A couple of “meh”, potential bench depth signings.

Not like there is much risk involved . I don’t hate the moves.
I’m sure they also have clauses in their minor league deals that say they can opt for free agency if not on the 40-man by X date.

Reactions: bdg8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT