ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

Well, it appears the Brewers aren't serious about contending for the Central this year. That rotation is now Peralta, hope Miley can stay healthy, & a bunch of castoffs/injury comebacks/rookies

Well, it appears the Brewers aren't serious about contending for the Central this year. That rotation is now Peralta, hope Miley can stay healthy, & a bunch of castoffs/injury comebacks/rookies
Just wait until they trade Adames. It’s weird they signed Hoskins, unless that’s just to knock some homers until the trade deadline.

Just wait until they trade Adames. It’s weird they signed Hoskins, unless that’s just to knock some homers until the trade deadline.
Unless they flip Adames &/or one of their young OFs for pitching I agree about Hoskins. I won't underestimate the Brewers ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but a large part of that was Counsell. They have a top rated farm system, but I don't think they contend this year w their current roster.
I'll shutup now, not intending to hijack a Cubs thread.

Reactions: lucas80
Unless they flip Adames &/or one of their young OFs for pitching I agree about Hoskins. I won't underestimate the Brewers ability to make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but a large part of that was Counsell. They have a top rated farm system, but I don't think they contend this year w their current roster.
I'll shutup now, not intending to hijack a Cubs thread.
You’re fine. We welcome healthy discussion. If you go hysterical like Mitch does about the Yankees we will pitch you out.

They’re adding another pitcher and hitter most likely. As far as Burnes he’s still really good but nowhere near the dominant ace he was. With the addition of Hall they now have 2 prospect pitchers with top tier stuff. Plus two prospect pitchers that should be solid number 3s.
Brewers didn’t want the chance of Burnes getting hurt or the complaining from him.

Reactions: wausauhawk
The Angels are creeping in on the Bellinger talk. I don't know if it's real or not. Boras is doing Boras things by holding his guys out and hoping for the one desperate GM/Owner to bid up the price. Arte Moreno might be itching to make a splash. I guess that depends on Bellinger's desire to play for a team with a shot at the playoffs, or an Angels team that was bad, and has gotten worse this offseason.
I don't think the Cubs have been mentioned for Blake Snell, but if he is really holding on for a contract similar to what Strasburger got, good luck to him. Yes, he has stuff, and has won some awards, but he's gotten to 180 innings twice in his career. I suppose the Yankees will pile in and roll the dice on him.

You’re fine. We welcome healthy discussion. If you go hysterical like Mitch does about the Yankees we will pitch you out.
You didn't pitch me out.

As promised, I said I wouldn't post in 2024 thread if certain criteria wasn't met during last season

So I'm not posting this season as I honor my word.
I was mentioned in your post, so these comments are not breaking my promise.
But I'll read this thread, nonetheless.

Last edited:
The Angels are creeping in on the Bellinger talk. I don't know if it's real or not. Boras is doing Boras things by holding his guys out and hoping for the one desperate GM/Owner to bid up the price. Arte Moreno might be itching to make a splash. I guess that depends on Bellinger's desire to play for a team with a shot at the playoffs, or an Angels team that was bad, and has gotten worse this offseason.
I don't think the Cubs have been mentioned for Blake Snell, but if he is really holding on for a contract similar to what Strasburger got, good luck to him. Yes, he has stuff, and has won some awards, but he's gotten to 180 innings twice in his career. I suppose the Yankees will pile in and roll the dice on him.
If the Cubs jump in on a FA pitcher, I’d rather Montgomery than Snell. The Belli thing will work itself out. I think the Cubs are an 85-ish win team right now without Belli, albeit with some variance. We don’t know what Busch will be and if PCA or Canario are playing CF, that’s up in the air as well. I think the bullpen is solid at this point with a lot of options and I’m good with the rotation as is (assuming Wicks or Wesneski at #5).

Bellinger no doubt makes them better, as might Brandon Belt, JD Martinez or Jorge Soler. There could be any number of trade possibilities for the Cubs right now. Maybe they sign Matt Chapman. Offseason isn’t over, but the Cubs, as they stand today vs. division foes, are strong enough to compete.

If the Cubs jump in on a FA pitcher, I’d rather Montgomery than Snell. The Belli thing will work itself out. I think the Cubs are an 85-ish win team right now without Belli, albeit with some variance. We don’t know what Busch will be and if PCA or Canario are playing CF, that’s up in the air as well. I think the bullpen is solid at this point with a lot of options and I’m good with the rotation as is (assuming Wicks or Wesneski at #5).

Bellinger no doubt makes them better, as might Brandon Belt, JD Martinez or Jorge Soler. There could be any number of trade possibilities for the Cubs right now. Maybe they sign Matt Chapman. Offseason isn’t over, but the Cubs, as they stand today vs. division foes, are strong enough to compete.
I wouldn’t jump on Snell or Monty at the cost at least if I’m the Cubs. I’d target Ryu, Bauer, or Lorezean.

Only about another month and a half until they are 0-1 and about 5 months until they are eliminated from the playoffs.

Chicago Cubs Baseball GIF by Wisconsin Sportscenter

• Angry
Reactions: ihawk in FWB
They’re adding another pitcher and hitter most likely. As far as Burnes he’s still really good but nowhere near the dominant ace he was. With the addition of Hall they now have 2 prospect pitchers with top tier stuff. Plus two prospect pitchers that should be solid number 3s.
Brewers didn’t want the chance of Burnes getting hurt or the complaining from him.
You called this @tumorboy. Listened to a few podcasts after the Burnes trade & the reporters covering team didn't think they would re-invest the Burnes $ savings. We'll see if Jake Junis & Gary Sanchez equal Burnes WAR

Reactions: lucas80
Also, I see PECOTA projections out for NL Central -

St. Louis - 85-77
Cubs - 80-82
Brewers - 79-83
Reds - 78-84
Pirates - 73-89

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
You called this @tumorboy. Listened to a few podcasts after the Burnes trade & the reporters covering team didn't think they would re-invest the Burnes $ savings. We'll see if Jake Junis & Gary Sanchez equal Burnes WAR
no it’s really does Junis, Sanchez, Hall, and Ortiz equal Burnes WAR. The good thing about Sanchez. Is it gets Contreras everyday AB’s. Will be able to use him at DH more. Still think they could move some combo of Adames, Devin, or young OF for a young high upside SP.

Reactions: wausauhawk
Generally speaking the reporters covering the brewers are out of touch fossils. No real ins with Arnold’s thinking.

Generally speaking the reporters covering the brewers are out of touch fossils. No real ins with Arnold’s thinking.
Curt Hogg is a young, sharp guy. Todd Rosiak is ok. You're likely thinking of Tom Hardicourt, who's now retired & definition of crabby old man.

Curt Hogg is a young, sharp guy. Todd Rosiak is ok. You're likely thinking of Tom Hardicourt, who's now retired & definition of crabby old man.
They keep things close to the vest. So hard to read leaks. Honestly payroll was supposed to be reduced this year. But the numbers I read wear a touch North of 100 million. Arnold is a sharp guy and worked under Stearns for quite awhile. He believes in the Tampa Bay model of dealing from strength. And guys that are declining or replaceable. Burnes declining, Adames decline, Devin replaceable. Same with Houser, Taylor, etc etc.

Lance Lynn could easily be a 11 WAR pitcher. Beyond that, it seems like they are counting on a lot of fairy dust to be sprinkled around Busch Stadium.
Misplaced a dismal point. Do u mean .1 WAR pitcher.

If Bellinger ask is too much. Where do they go Soler and Belt?
J. D. Martinez is beginning to creep into talks. The problem is he's basically a DH. We might be at the point where Jed decides to go with what he has and add via a trade during the season.

J. D. Martinez is beginning to creep into talks. The problem is he's basically a DH. We might be at the point where Jed decides to go with what he has and add via a trade during the season.
Also another problem with JD is age and walk rate falling. U could just be tossing money away on a DH.

My no-inside-knowledge and probably far-fetched prediction is that Bellinger signs a 1 year deal wherever he signs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT