ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread đźš˝*****

They can call him up now and let him start at 3B. He's a beast.
He hasn’t played much at 3B. He does seem to have a lot of confidence at the plate. A year at AAA, will do him some good. If we see him at Wrigley this year it means the team is bad.

We traded a hard throwing guy with control issues to the Sox for a slightly younger guy who throws hard and has control issues. But, it had to be done. Hopefully Horn gets some chances with the Sox this year.
Exactly. There was nobody left on the 40 to just DFA and dump. From here forward, every non-roster invitee or new signing that makes the team is going to result in someone some of us like going away.

He hasn’t played much at 3B. He does seem to have a lot of confidence at the plate. A year at AAA, will do him some good. If we see him at Wrigley this year it means the team is bad.
I wouldn’t go that far. He could simply force his way up or, as we saw in 2015/2016, the Cubs could use IL stretches of starters to bring some young kids up. Contreras and Schwarber, in particular, bounced back and forth before they finally stuck for good.

Reactions: RayRay3454
I don't agree. Cubs don't exactly have a proven All-Star at 3B. I think it is quite possible that before the end of the 2024 season, Shaw could prove himself more valuable to the Major League squad than Madrigal and Wisdom, and maybe even Busch and Tauchman....and the team could still be really good.

Exactly. There was nobody left on the 40 to just DFA and dump. From here forward, every non-roster invitee or new signing that makes the team is going to result in someone some of us like going away.
Much better position that last year's 40-man in March. It was pretty obvious to me that Mancini and Barnhart were a complete waste of space and $20.5M when the season started. No one on the roster like that now. Everyone on the 40-man now that might not last the season has trade value or would be a relatively inexpensive dump.

I agree, though, that with only a few exceptions, I'd hate to lose anyone else we currently have.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cidhawkeye
Much better position that last year's 40-man in March. It was pretty obvious to me that Mancini and Barnhart were a complete waste of space and $20.5M when the season started. No one on the roster like that now. Everyone on the 40-man now that might not last the season has trade value or would be a relatively inexpensive dump.

I agree, though, that with only a few exceptions, I'd hate to lose anyone else we currently have.
Agree completely. I’ll hedge slightly on Mancini last season as I did not predict him being as horrific as he was. Hosmer was pretty predictable, although the real problem was both together. This year’s OD roster should be a long way ahead of last year’s OD roster, even if it’s maybe incrementally better than last September’s roster. Cubs went 24-31 through May last year (10-18 IN May) and the roster that broke camp was a huge reason why. Having a competent OD roster this year, plus Counsell, should be pretty significant.

I don't agree. Cubs don't exactly have a proven All-Star at 3B. I think it is quite possible that before the end of the 2024 season, Shaw could prove himself more valuable to the Major League squad than Madrigal and Wisdom, and maybe even Busch and Tauchman....and the team could still be really good.
I don’t discount a call up, but I have more faith that Morel is passable at 3B this season. Again, Shaw is new to the position and a season at AAA to work at it everyday would be beneficial. Then there is the hitting side. He’s advanced, but there is always work to do.

Reactions: hawkifann
They are three players that can be DFA and dumped.

Didn't see any of yesterday's game, but judging by the box score, it looks like Smyly's new slider/splitter experiment didn't go so well....

ugh

Crow-Armstrong loses two balls in the sun gifting Sox two runs
He wasn't alone in that department. I think Roerderer (sp?) also had one of those. Mervis whiffed on one in foul territory as well. The announcers made several comments about the sun. Cassie had another good day at the plate including a HR.

ugh

Crow-Armstrong loses two balls in the sun gifting Sox two runs
I was hiking in Arizona today, it was a brutal sun trying to track some F-16s flying over us, so a small baseball had to be difficult.

Didn't see any of yesterday's game, but judging by the box score, it looks like Smyly's new slider/splitter experiment didn't go so well....
Yes, but who knows what he was working on? He did throw around 95 mph which is odd for him.

I keep forgetting the one draw back to staying in Old Town Scottsdale, all the douche bag Giants fans wandering around.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCainer
No free agent help at 3B, Chapman to the Giants.
I wouldn’t have been upset if they’d signed him, but at this point I’m okay with Morel, and a mix of others. The Cubs have the money to add payroll during the year, and I didn’t want to tie up money on Chapman. He’s in decline.

CSB, walking around Scottsdale wearing an Iowa cap 🧢 this morning a guy gave me a “Go Hawks”! Turns out he is Jameson Taillion’s FIL and we chatted for a bit. He grew up in Council Bluffs. Said JT is feeling more comfortable this year. Part of his struggles last year were the Cubs pushing new pitches on him and adjusting to new catchers.
As mentioned, Scottsdale is filled with snotty Giants fans. Can’t wait to get to Sloan Park tomorrow.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday. Beautiful weather today in Mesa, and the Cubs won. Hendricks stumbled, but who knows what he was trying to work on today. The bullpen was outstanding, and it was heartening to see Brad Wieck on the mound.
Alcantara has crazy power, the issue is will he be able to manage that long swing. I’d prefer Bote over Madrigal in a 1-1 choice for a bench guy. Shaw is a big guy, I hope he can handle 3B. His footwork looked a little unsure. The arm will be good enough.
CSB, Shaw pitched one into the stands after the top of the 7th that the guy 2 rows in front of me dropped. He tried to one hand it. Rookie move. Both hands, Bro.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday. Beautiful weather today in Mesa, and the Cubs won. Hendricks stumbled, but who knows what he was trying to work on today. The bullpen was outstanding, and it was heartening to see Brad Wieck on the mound.
Alcantara has crazy power, the issue is will he be able to manage that long swing. I’d prefer Bote over Madrigal in a 1-1 choice for a bench guy. Shaw is a big guy, I hope he can handle 3B. His footwork looked a little unsure. The arm will be good enough.
CSB, Shaw pitched one into the stands after the top of the 7th that the guy 2 rows in front of me dropped. He tried to one hand it. Rookie move. Both hands, Bro.
Bote to become 2024 NL Comeback Player of the Year!

You heard it here first. ;)

Reactions: lucas80
To me the Cubs need to clear some space, and Madrigal is an obvious guy. Some team should looking him to make him their every day 2B. To me as a bench player he’s too slow and has no power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT