ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

A lot of bold statements there that you just assume to be true.
Let's start with this one and go from there, the Tampa organization has a much better track record of identifying and developing talent than the Cubs organization. I really don't think there is much debate on that. When you start with that in mind, it becomes a logical conclusion that they made this trade for good reasons to them.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Maybe Tampa knows something about the 3B they gave up that the Cubs don't know. Let's admit something here, the Tampa organization has been run a heck of a lot better than the Cubs organization for a while now, and we want to think that we got one over on them in this trade? No way. I can see this being yet another trade where the Cubs look like idiots in the long run. They see something in Morel that they are going to develop out of him. Kid is going to go on to become a perennial All-Star.

The rays dont like to keep guys into their arb years, they try to sign them to long term deals while they are pre-arb. most likely they couldnt get a deal done so they moved him. I read paredes will likely get a raise to almost 10M in arbitration.

Are the Cubs going to let Tallion start tonight?
Per Bruce Levine, the Cubs have minor league pitchers ready to go if he gets dealt. I’ve not heard much more than that, except for rumors of talks with the Yankees around Hoerner and Taillon. Cubs reportedly trying to get the Yankees #2 prospect, Spencer Jones (a huge 6’6, 235 OF with big power) and the Yanks not wanting to give him up. MLB Pipeline has Jones as the 77th best prospect in their top 100.

Maybe Tampa knows something about the 3B they gave up that the Cubs don't know. Let's admit something here, the Tampa organization has been run a heck of a lot better than the Cubs organization for a while now, and we want to think that we got one over on them in this trade? No way. I can see this being yet another trade where the Cubs look like idiots in the long run. They see something in Morel that they are going to develop out of him. Kid is going to go on to become a perennial All-Star.
For those of you who do not read Bleed Cubbie blue here is a decent write up of the trade by the stats.
I do not mind this trade, I think they did just get better at 3B, however there are troubling things about the clustering of Paredes homers, how The Trop might assist his power numbers, and has he peaked. He and Morel are essentially the same age, by the way.
https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2024/7/29/24208286/the-isaac-paredes-trade-by-the-numbers

One other point about Paredes, it is possible that Jed acquired him in order to flip him knowing a few teams wanted him.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Per Bruce Levine, the Cubs have minor league pitchers ready to go if he gets dealt. I’ve not heard much more than that, except for rumors of talks with the Yankees around Hoerner and Taillon. Cubs reportedly trying to get the Yankees #2 prospect, Spencer Jones (a huge 6’6, 235 OF with big power) and the Yanks not wanting to give him up. MLB Pipeline has Jones as the 77th best prospect in their top 100.
Sorry again to enter into this thread when I promised not to, but there's no chance in hell the NYY take Taillon back.
Cubs might deal him, but it won't be the Yankees.
I'm just confused what the Cub's strategy is here? The bullpen is a weakness and they deal Leiter? And for less than great minor leaguers?

Fire Sale!

Cubs are going to have the best minor league teams in baseball. None of that matters if these guys don't make it to the Show and turn into impact players. Thus far into "the plan" we haven't seen that. In fact, we just dealt one of the guys that was supposed to be a part of the plan and the future in Morel.

Good work, Jed.

We can't be rid of that guy fast enough.

Reactions: win1forthe
Paredes gets the start tonight

IMO, this might actually be next year's opening day lineup. Unless he goes on a tear, I think Bellinger opts in. If so, it is probably more likely he'd start in CF and then hopefully Cubs pick up a decent DH bat that can play a few games in the field. Barring a late trade in the next couple hours, only other spot I could see is Amaya. I just feel they are going to stick with him and hope an in-house C makes a leap in the next year or 2.

This seems like a salary dump. They fit a IF prospect who is old for AA, and an intriguing arm back. This just smells like getting rid of a guy who will be arb eligible next year.
He was arb 1 this year and is making $1.5M. There’s some savings, but MLJ isn’t likely to make more than like $3-4M this year. I think this is just taking a guy who sometimes loses the split with overwork and selling high on him to get an intriguing arm back. Neely has a chance to be really nasty.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Sorry again to enter into this thread when I promised not to, but there's no chance in hell the NYY take Taillon back.
I'm just confused what the Cub's strategy is here? The bullpen is a weakness and they deal Leiter? And for less than great minor leaguers?
They’re very clearly adding velo and upside to the pen. MLJ is a good reliever and when his split is splitting, he’s nasty, but when he gets overworked, he can be injury prone and some days he doesn’t have the split and without that pitch, he’s not very good at all. Neely is really intriguing.

Are you sure? :)

He was arb 1 this year and is making $1.5M. There’s some savings, but MLJ isn’t likely to make more than like $3-4M this year. I think this is just taking a guy who sometimes loses the split with overwork and selling high on him to get an intriguing arm back. Neely has a chance to be really nasty.
You might be off on how tightly Tom is holding Jed to the cap. It's a little flexibility.
And, I am not despondent because if the system seems to have depth in one area right now it's power arms. They don't all stay healthy, but there are a lot of arms pushing on the 40 man for next year.

Reactions: hawkifann
You might be off on how tightly Tom is holding Jed to the cap. It's a little flexibility.
And, I am not despondent because if the system seems to have depth in one area right now it's power arms. They don't all stay healthy, but there are a lot of arms pushing on the 40 man for next year.
Cubs are in a great spot for young arms for sure. A lot of starter depth, lots of potentially high end back-of-the-pen arms as well. Especially if some key guys can get/stay healthy.

Cubs are in a great spot for young arms for sure. A lot of starter depth, lots of potentially high end back-of-the-pen arms as well. Especially if some key guys can get/stay healthy.
Exhibit A is Killian. He will hit 30 days on his rehab in a few days. Now, they could option him to AAA, but, why not let him finish the year showing if he can be a leverage reliever?

CSB, the wife and I had Pat Hughes ans former All Star Ron Coomer on for the drive to Red Wing, MN, this evening, and as Pat did his pregame routine of describing the jerseys and trousers my wife asked, “Who cares what color their pants are”? I told her, first off, they are trousers, and second, you don’t tell a HOF broadcaster how to do his job. He’s painting a picture.
CSB.

Exhibit A is Killian. He will hit 30 days on his rehab in a few days. Now, they could option him to AAA, but, why not let him finish the year showing if he can be a leverage reliever?
He’s a GREAT example. I thought he’d be set for the Cubs pen this year and couldn’t wait for him to get back. My question now is with Hendricks going away, Wesneski up and down and Wicks & Brown hurt, would the Cubs give Kilian another shot to stretch out and start? I think he either comes up or he gets optioned to Iowa to stretch out again as a starter.

For the record, I think he’d be absolutely filthy pumping 99 out of the pen.

He’s a GREAT example. I thought he’d be set for the Cubs pen this year and couldn’t wait for him to get back. My question now is with Hendricks going away, Wesneski up and down and Wicks & Brown hurt, would the Cubs give Kilian another shot to stretch out and start? I think he either comes up or he gets optioned to Iowa to stretch out again as a starter.

For the record, I think he’d be absolutely filthy pumping 99 out of the pen.
On the pregame yesterday, Bruce Levine alluded to examples likes this when he said, and I’m paraphrasing, look for more minor leaguers/younger guys in the system to soon get a chance to see what they can do. The major league roster has plenty of opportunities for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT