ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

I'm just confused what the Cub's strategy is here?
The strategy last off-season was strange. Run it back with a team that didn't make the playoffs. This deadline looks like that's the strategy again for next year. Hoyer has done a horrible job at reflecting what this team is and what it's missing. Should have been seller's last year at the deadline. Should have never brought Belly back. Should have played all the young guys this year to see what the future holds. Play PCA, Canario, Morel, Amaya and Busch every day. Happ and Suzuki contracts are absolutely garbage. Hard to predict Swanson would be so bad this year so it kind of is what it is with that. They really aren't getting a lot of bang for their buck with these contracts. You add up Happ, Swanson, Suzuki, Hoerner and Bellinger's contract and that's a lot of money to be paying and not have a superstar.

The strategy last off-season was strange. Run it back with a team that didn't make the playoffs. This deadline looks like that's the strategy again for next year. Hoyer has done a horrible job at reflecting what this team is and what it's missing. Should have been seller's last year at the deadline. Should have never brought Belly back. Should have played all the young guys this year to see what the future holds. Play PCA, Canario, Morel, Amaya and Busch every day. Happ and Suzuki contracts are absolutely garbage. Hard to predict Swanson would be so bad this year so it kind of is what it is with that. They really aren't getting a lot of bang for their buck with these contracts. You add up Happ, Swanson, Suzuki, Hoerner and Bellinger's contract and that's a lot of money to be paying and not have a superstar.

Could have got a LOT for Bellinger at the deadline last year. Huge miss.

Does anyone else remember early in the season when the thinking was once the Cubs got into the NLC part of their schedule they would get some separation from their division foes?

Well, it's happened, as they have a losing record against all of them. They are 13-25 overall against the NLC.

At the same time, they are 17-9 against the AL.

Go figure.

On the pregame yesterday, Bruce Levine alluded to examples likes this when he said, and I’m paraphrasing, look for more minor leaguers/younger guys in the system to soon get a chance to see what they can do. The major league roster has plenty of opportunities for that to happen.
There are plenty of opportunities - the big question is whether they’ll use them. They could have been injecting new faces all along the way, but the Cubs have way too much of a tendency to play the same 10 guys day after day after day, completely neglecting the bench. If they’re willing to juggle things up, there are plenty of opportunities to mix in more guys.

Reactions: win1forthe
Hopefully Hoyer is fired after this disaster of a season. He’s done a good job restocking the farm but has been horrible with the actual team. This deadline was terrible just like this team he’s built, and he’s effectively blocked his entire farm system on the position side with average players

Reactions: IACub
You will get ridiculed on here for not calling Happ and Suzuki superstars. They’re a better duo than Jordan and Pippen.

Props to you for being aware who Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen are. Never would’ve guessed you had a clue who either of them are.

He meant Larsa Pippen and Marcus Jordan. :)

16991304796034.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
Props to you for being aware who Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen are. Never would’ve guessed you had a clue who either of them are.
You’re all upset because you thought Happ and Suzuki would lead the Cubs to the World Series.
Then after each game you would drink Ian Happ’s coffee, listen to Korean pop music and discuss progressive politics.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
See my prior posts. The kid is going to turn out to be a star. Rays mgmt see thing Cubs mgmt are blind to.

Jed needs to go.
Jed has been lackluster and is too cautious.
Al Yellon is promoting Sam Fuld as a replacement. He’s making a name for himself with the Phillies.

Reactions: blhawk
There are plenty of opportunities - the big question is whether they’ll use them. They could have been injecting new faces all along the way, but the Cubs have way too much of a tendency to play the same 10 guys day after day after day, completely neglecting the bench. If they’re willing to juggle things up, there are plenty of opportunities to mix in more guys.
Honestly, I don’t need to see anymore of Tauchman, Wisdom, MM, Bote, Hendricks, Nerris…and I’m sure there are more. These are all fringe roster players but their at-bats and innings could be used to see what you have, given the opportunity, in some of these younger guys. Let’s see if Jed has the balls to give them a chance.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Honestly, I don’t need to see anymore of Tauchman, Wisdom, MM, Bote, Hendricks, Nerris…and I’m sure there are more. These are all fringe roster players but their at-bats and innings could be used to see what you have, given the opportunity, in some of these younger guys. Let’s see if Jed has the balls to give them a chance.
Most of those guys you listed are fine as bench players. The problem this year is that several guys disappeared, and catcher was a waste of a spot in the batting order.

He was arb 1 this year and is making $1.5M. There’s some savings, but MLJ isn’t likely to make more than like $3-4M this year. I think this is just taking a guy who sometimes loses the split with overwork and selling high on him to get an intriguing arm back. Neely has a chance to be really nasty.
The way I look at it, the Cubs just added two players to their top 30 prospects list for a guy that I didn’t even think would make the team out of the spring training 2023. Not a bad deal.

Should have been seller's last year at the deadline. Should have never brought Belly back.
Agree with the first part but don’t understand the second. You don’t want the one high-quality hitter we have on the team and under a rather cheap contract?

Should have played all the young guys this year to see what the future holds. Play PCA, Canario, Morel, Amaya and Busch every day. Happ and Suzuki contracts are absolutely garbage.
Again, agree with the first part but not the second. With Morel gone, Canario needs to come up and be the regular DH with spot starts in the OF. This is his last option year and he needs to be in the Majors to earn his way on the team next season. Speaking of which, Madrigal and Mervis have proven they have no future with the Cubs and should have been traded this past offseason.

Happ and Suzuki are both underperforming to a degree but I wouldn’t describe either of their contracts as garbage, especially compared to what I see on some other teams. I’d call Happ’s decent and Suzuki’s rather poor but both certainly may still live up to them.

With Morel gone, Canario needs to come up and be the regular DH with spot starts in the OF. This is his last option year and he needs to be in the Majors to earn his way on the team next season.
Canario was carted off the field last week and diagnosed with a hamstring strain, which is typically a 6-week recovery, so he’s not going to be coming up to DH. Cubs are currently sitting with an open 40-man spot, though, so they could take a flyer on Moises Ballesteros or Owen Caissie at some point.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Canario was carted off the field last week and diagnosed with a hamstring strain, which is typically a 6-week recovery, so he’s not going to be coming up to DH.
JFC that dude is made out of glass. He and B. Davis are going to be crippled before they make an impact in the Majors.

Agree with the first part but don’t understand the second. You don’t want the one high-quality hitter we have on the team and under a rather cheap contract?

Again, agree with the first part but not the second. With Morel gone, Canario needs to come up and be the regular DH with spot starts in the OF. This is his last option year and he needs to be in the Majors to earn his way on the team next season. Speaking of which, Madrigal and Mervis have proven they have no future with the Cubs and should have been traded this past offseason.

Happ and Suzuki are both underperforming to a degree but I wouldn’t describe either of their contracts as garbage, especially compared to what I see on some other teams. I’d call Happ’s decent and Suzuki’s rather poor but both certainly may still live up to them.
Happ is pretty much meeting his expected stats in xba, xslg and xwOBA and Suzuki is exceeding in all of those stats. I know it doesn’t always feel like it, I’m right there too, but they really aren’t underperforming.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT