ADVERTISEMENT

********Official Illinois vs. Iowa Game Thread********

Well, I'd love to hear the excuses from Clemmons, Gesell, and Woodbury for playing the way they did today. They were pathetic. All really nice kids, intelligent in the classroom, and good citizens, but MAN they were pitiful in this game.
They are simply not very good players at this level, Woodbury has not deveoped much at all, still cant jump or make anything outside of 2 feet and he misses WAY too many easy layups and is too much of a pussy to go up strong and dunk the ball. his FT shooting did improve this year.

Woody at least on occasion is good on d and gets boards. Mike and Sapp have no redeeming qualities. Can't shoot. Can't guard. Can't shoot free throws. Make dumb turnovers at awful times.

True but his offense is beyond horrible, he had what 3 jumpers today and missed all 3? Again he was missing layups that he should make. Missed 2 FTs late in the game.

I'm tired of the yearly collapse of this team! Clemmons didn't play like a senior today! Gessel not inbounding the ball to the paint with 4.8 secs, really? Nice job Peter Jok, hurt the team by not finishing the game!

Was anyone surprised by the ending? It's a movie we've seen so many times it's predictable. Fran and MG choking down the stretch. Fran putting the ball in MG hands to win, and MG delivering a brick and 2 TO's. Fran is a horrible coach, at least a horrible game coach. I don't know how many times fans need to see the Fran blow close games before they wake up.

If Iowa doesn't make the tournament next year, I'd either fire him or have him sitting on a flaming hot seat. He looks even more lost than Lickliter coaching at the end of games, and I didn't think anyone was that bad.

Fran loves his seniors. McCabe and now these guys. Fran needs to grow a pair himself.
The problem (except that last play) is Gessel needs to be in there to get the ball up. But why on earth before his almost turnover was the ball not in Uthoff's hands?!! Should have played Clemmons WAY less. He was just awful

Reactions: MOLHAWK
4 years ago----did anybody think Erik Hanson was going to have had a better career than Woody??? I sure didn't; but he most definitely DID

True but his offense is beyond horrible, he had what 3 jumpers today and missed all 3? Again he was missing layups that he should make. Missed 2 FTs late in the game.

Never seen a big man miss so many layups. Soft, inside play.
Basabe and Olesani has confidence and Woody is soft.

Gesell is 0 for his career in last 30 sec if half or game. Great play call Fran. lol
Just Fran being Fran. It's hard to get mad at MG in these situations because he's proven over and over again, he's a choker, it's beyond his capability to succeed in these situations. Therefore, it's incumbent upon the coach to not put him in these situations. He shouldn't have even been in the game the final 4 seconds.

Why, when a player doesn't have it like Clemmons today, don't we play Williams more?

Just Fran being Fran. It's hard to get mad at MG in these situations because he's proven over and over again, he's a choker, it's beyond his capability to succeed in these situations. Therefore, it's incumbent upon the coach to not put him in these situations. He shouldn't have even been in the game the final 4 seconds.
I'll say less a choker than just not good enough to be given the responsibility

Not sure I agree with that unless all you looking at is scoring points, but that is just STUPID
DEFENSE (blocking shots included). When they were both seniors I'm definitely right. Hanson wasn't very good the first two years but at least he got BETTER. Woody is regressing minus being a bit tougher on the glass

3 weeks ago #3 in the country, today knocked out by an outmanned Illini team! I hate the f#@&$?% Illini!

Doesn't mean anything for the tourney as we're playing horrible----but it kind of stinks that we beat Purdue twice and they got the 4....

Iowa has the longest active losing streak in the B1G tournament, what an honor
Uncle Steve is actually better than Fran at something. His teams usually collapsed (esp early on in his tenure) but recovered in the Big 10 tourney. Examples: 2001, 2002, 2005. Won tourney in 2006 no collapse until Northwestern State debacle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT