ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, wrestling has become a lot like jobs in the real world. Are you doing the job today, are you doing what I hired you to do, are you making a difference, are you producing... if you are you stay. If you're not, adios. We'll get someone that can. PSU mission statement.

Reactions: Trapper85
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, wrestling has become a lot like jobs in the real world. Are you doing the job today, are you doing what I hired you to do, are you making a difference, are you producing... if you are you stay. If you're not, adios. We'll get someone that can. PSU mission statement.
If true, is it also true the only way to get a raise in pay is to go to another job?

If true, is it also true the only way to get a raise in pay is to go to another job?
Or just threatened to go to another job. If they up the ante good for you. If they don't, you either have to decide to backtrack or go. I suppose there maybe wrestlers out there who do that. Threatened to portal up unless I get a little more nil cash.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Or just threatened to go to another job. If they up the ante good for you. If they don't, you either have to decide to backtrack or go. I suppose there maybe wrestlers out there who do that. Threatened to portal up unless I get a little more nil cash.
Did you see the Okie State football coach told his players to shut up and play football because they were trying to increase their NIL after the deals were closed.

I am friends with a FCS team head coach. He was telling me he is nothing than a negotiator anymore. He spends all his time trying to hand out deals, redo deals when somebody wants to renege on it, work with players families or seconds on offers and raise cash w boosters. He says he misses actually coaching. When will the madness end.

Did you see the Okie State football coach told his players to shut up and play football because they were trying to increase their NIL after the deals were closed.
Was it Oklahoma or Oklahoma State that sometime on here showed a picture of a barcode on the back of their helmets. For the obvious reason

I’m sorry but Glaizer, Cobe, PK, and others have had their chances to place at NCAA’s and solidify the spot. They haven’t, can’t blame Brands for doing his job and trying to get a better team on the mat. I’m not a fan of the new way, I prefer recruiting a kid and having him for 4 years and we have that right now with starters Ayala, Brands, Gabe, Kueter, Angelo, etc. I don’t know why everyone gets on Iowa for doing what PSU did last year bringing in a 33,65,&84.
Perfectly said IMO. My thoughts exactly.

I generally agree here. But there’s a distinct difference between getting portal guys in April/May and getting them at the end of August. What was the message to the existing wrestlers? If they were mislead or told bold faced lies it’s a much different story, and that’s what people are hinting at.

I would argue that a unique window opened up when the judge decided the above case against the NCAA in February. I'm guessing it took time to filter through the bureaucracy that NIL guys could do what they are doing. It's like when you were a kid (were you ever a kid Spooner?) and the teacher left the classroom. Everybody was quiet for the first 30 seconds thinking the teacher would come back. Then kids started talking quietly, then inevitably laughing and goofing off. Well the teacher is still out of the classroom on the shitter for the most part. The market shifted and Iowa is adapting to the new, if temporary, reality.

College wrestling has always had a "tier" in programs.
With NIL, it's going to REALLY separate those at the top.
PSU, Iowa, Okie State, and Michigan all obviously have well healed boosters.
Can Ohio State keep pace with just high schoolers?
Everyone else will be left in the dust.

I know, not exactly breaking news.

I would argue that a unique window opened up when the judge decided the above case against the NCAA in February. I'm guessing it took time to filter through the bureaucracy that NIL guys could do what they are doing. It's like when you were a kid (were you ever a kid Spooner?) and the teacher left the classroom. Everybody was quiet for the first 30 seconds thinking the teacher would come back. Then kids started talking quietly, then inevitably laughing and goofing off. Well the teacher is still out of the classroom on the shitter for the most part. The market shifted and Iowa is adapting to the new, if temporary, reality.
And if Brands and Co. didn’t adapt, there would be a bunch of smartass quoters saying, “we like our guys”. It’s amazing how grown ass men bitch, moan and criticize - nothing is going to satisfy them.

Brands is doing the best he can given the hand he’s been dealt. It’s crazy that people are complaining when they’re doing everything in their power to put the best team on the mat. At what time has brands ever given the impression he doesn’t want the best guy at that weight to compete?

Last edited:
I am friends with a FCS team head coach. He was telling me he is nothing than a negotiator anymore. He spends all his time trying to hand out deals, redo deals when somebody wants to renege on it, work with players families or seconds on offers and raise cash w boosters. He says he misses actually coaching. When will the madness end.
Saban more or less said that’s why he quit.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I generally agree. An exception would be if your coaches mislead or lied to you.
If they were mislead or told bold faced lies it’s a much different story, and that’s what people are hinting at.

This is where I’m at, I hope Tom was upfront with his wrestlers about these possible additions.
What would make anyone give credence to any of this? If TNT are known for anything it’s being straight shooters (no puns intended :) Guys like Spencer or Desanto, and even recruits, often say they appreciate the straight forwardness and honesty… nothing is guaranteed, earn the spot, will continue to recruit high level guys and make the team better. It’s well known to everyone. Glazier went through this last season competing for the spot. He could choose to stay and do the same. Nobody is entitled to anything.

And if Brands and Co. didn’t adapt, there would be a bunch of smartass quoters saying, “we like our guys”. It’s amazing how grown ass men bitch, moan and criticize - nothing is going to satisfy them.

Brands is doing the best he can given the hand he’s been dealt. It’s crazy that people are complaining when they’re doing everything in their power to put the best team on the mat. At what time has brands ever given the impression he doesn’t want the best guy at that weight to compete?

How can you make these claims while observing his recruiting “effort” is beyond me.

He’s NOT doing everything in his power and thus why he’s depending on boosters to poach players off other rosters to fill out a roster.

How can you make these claims while observing his recruiting “effort” is beyond me.

He’s NOT doing everything in his power and thus why he’s depending on boosters to poach players off other rosters to fill out a roster.
You’re right. Brands is just pretending to recruit. He told me. He actually said, “i don’t want the best guys, spooner is correct”. He even went as far as admitting he never wants to win another team or individual title. His competitive nature that he’s always displayed is a huge façade.

You’re right. Brands is just pretending to recruit. He told me. He actually said, “i don’t want the best guys, spooner is correct”. He even went as far as admitting he never wants to win another team or individual title. His competitive nature that he’s always displayed is a huge façade.

If he’s pretending he even does a poor job at that.

Brands not landing a lot of the great recruits isn’t due to a lack of effort. It may be several other things that may not be going well. However, from what i have always seen in the brands, there has never been a lack of effort.

I miss Mitch making fun of Minnesota and ISU - that’s his wheelhouse
That's an in season activity.

But I'll throw you a bone... For some reason, maybe a request from Dresser, ISU got a team trophy for their 4th place finish at Nattys. Guess the shelf in the trophy case had 4" of dust on it once they put it behind glass!

They didn't have any trouble making room for it.

I’m sorry but Glaizer, Cobe, PK, and others have had their chances to place at NCAA’s and solidify the spot. They haven’t, can’t blame Brands for doing his job and trying to get a better team on the mat. I’m not a fan of the new way, I prefer recruiting a kid and having him for 4 years and we have that right now with starters Ayala, Brands, Gabe, Kueter, Angelo, etc. I don’t know why everyone gets on Iowa for doing what PSU did last year bringing in a 33,65,&84.
Everyone else is doing it. But when Iowa does it, it's dirty and ruining the sport. Lol.

Everyone who is brought in is given a chance to win. If it hasnt happened and the coaches expected to put out the best possible lineup, then you got to move on. If that means going out and getting a 1-2 year winner than so be it. I’m jealous of anyone good enough to wear the black and gold singlet but at the end of the day it is one the best teams and that requires the best to stay up there.

Portal guys are definitely getting more $ than guys who are being retained. If you win a NCAA you will definitely be taken care of regardless.
That could be an incentive to transfer out for some guys. Change teams, double your money. It’s more of a business now, maybe.

Reactions: AFHawk86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT