ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

If the staff lied I’d question anyone who’d be happy with that and ok with it.

A big if…but if true, the Brands water goes from warm to boiling hot in a hurry.
Ok playing devil's advocate here. There was no issue bringing in Franek after he got busted for gambling. Only an issue because we are now bringing in a returning finalist (Teemer) and an All-American (Parco) where it was assumed Cobe might AA? Surely with Parco there and him being friends with Teemer I can only assume this was at least on the table since Parco committed.

On top of that without Franek last year it would've been 3? consecutive years with no AA at 157.

If the staff lied I’d question anyone who’d be happy with that and ok with it.

A big if…but if true, the Brands water goes from warm to boiling hot in a hurry.
It’s a difficult situation since Brands cannot openly admit to the Siebrechts they’re trying to get Teemer. I mean I feel bad he’s getting replaced but if he wants the starting spot he can just beat Teemer in a wrestle off, or he knows he can’t beat Teemer and would rather be guaranteed a spot elsewhere.

Reactions: hawk224 and el dub
Ok playing devil's advocate here. There was no issue bringing in Franek after he got busted for gambling. Only an issue because we are now bringing in a returning finalist (Teemer) and an All-American (Parco) where it was assumed Cobe might AA? Surely with Parco there and him being friends with Teemer I can only assume this was at least on the table since Parco committed.

On top of that without Franek last year it would've been 3? consecutive years with no AA at 157.

The point went over your head. The point was about trust and honesty, not about recruiting someone better.

And it was purely hypothetical. I certainly do not know if anyone was lied to, but it is being talked about. I hope it isn’t true.

It’s a difficult situation since Brands cannot openly admit to the Siebrechts they’re trying to get Teemer. I mean I feel bad he’s getting replaced but if he wants the starting spot he can just beat Teemer in a wrestle off, or he knows he can’t beat Teemer and would rather be guaranteed a spot elsewhere.

Could you explain why they can’t do this?

• Haha
Reactions: bammhawk1
or, he doesn't feel he will get an even shake during wrestleoffs because the other guy is making twice what's he is making and he knows Tom isn't going to ruffle Bob's feathers. Why take the risk of losing a year when the trust feels broken. Whether true or not, trust can seem broken from one side and that is all it takes for things to unravel.

Edit to say 2x is just for discussion. I have no info.

Could you explain why they can’t do this?
Bc Iowa cannot talk to athletes that are not on their team. That’s why every is up in arms that Bob can contact these athletes “for” Iowa and get them to transfer with the promise of money.

Bc Iowa cannot talk to athletes that are not on their team. That’s why every is up in arms that Bob can contact these athletes “for” Iowa and get them to transfer with the promise of money.

While I acknowledge the specifics of your point, the logic that one can so willfully, violate NCAA rules, but not inform an athlete that’s been in your program for five years that you are looking to upgrade the roster, is wild.

At the end of the day, I am glad we have people refuting this.

You lied about being a Hawk to make your posts seem more legitimate. The truth is your "sources" aren't even good enough to tell whether Teemer was in the room, but you expect us to believe you have intimate details of an alleged conversation between Beth Goetz and David Taylor, LOL. Come on man.

My last point on all of this. I couldn't care less about your lying (but that is weird, dude. you're a grown-ass man) or your bad sources. What I do care about is that you created a persona here of someone with reliable information, and use that persona to run down our coaches every chance you get. I don't like that because it fuels a false narrative about them, and that hurts the program. The truth is you have no clue about them or what they're doing or not doing to try to get the Hawks back on top.

Now go tell Metcalf, Borshel, et al... I said hi.
Why would someone who wad on the team 15 years ago be a good source? Do you think Perry or Metcalf have better info on today's Hawks than donors or close fans?

Siebrecht was recruited as a 49 pounder. He loses all ability to bitch as soon as he violated team and NCAA rules. If Franek was a junior last year and had another year of eligibility, what would Cobe be saying?

While I acknowledge the specifics of your point, the logic that one can so willfully, violate NCAA rules, but not inform an athlete that’s been in your program for five years that you are looking to upgrade the roster, is wild.

At the end of the day, I am glad we have people refuting this.
To be clear, it is presently not a violation for boosters or collectives to contact or negotiate with recruits or transfers. While that was the rule implemented by the NCAA, it has been enjoined nationwide by a federal judge since February. The ruling has a pretty good overview of the current landscape of the NIL rules: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/attorneygeneral/documents/pr/2024/pr25-18.pdf

I'm not saying I like it, but it is currently fair game for third parties like Bob or whomever to be in contact with athletes.

this board is not sure if they should share or not. they are also selective about what they should share. and then they are also critical of some things that are shared. and critical of the messenger that shares particular things.

in short, they don't know what they want.
I wouldn’t say this is everyone’s view. There are many on this board who chose not to be critical, differing opinions without being condescending, yes.
There are posters who come hard at you, however you have the option to engage.
no. quite opposite, really. people that might have some insight reluctant to post b/c some on here shoot the messenger.
All that crap started when the Trolls took over the board. Those who had great insight left or don’t post anymore.
With our new mods, those days are gone. Hopefully this board returns to what it once was.

Why can't brands admit to a current wrestler they are recruiting?

Why would someone who wad on the team 15 years ago be a good source?
They wouldn't be.
Do you think Perry or Metcalf have better info on today's Hawks than donors or close fans?
No, I don't.

I think you may have misunderstood. My reference to Metcalf, Borshel, et al was a joke at VHS because he falsely claimed to have wrestled at Iowa with them.

Reactions: Hawkeye in DFW
The landscape for college wrestling is a nightmare for coaches now. If you recruit poorly, then bring in transfers to replace recruits that are underperforming, you are an asshole. If you don't bring in transfers and go with your guys, you are ok with 2nd place or worse, which leads to fans calling for your head (and boosters). Other than recruiting homeruns at every weight what is right and what is wrong? How many points did the Hawks score at 149 and 197 (possibly 133 too) last year and how many with 157 two years ago? They had their chance and struggled come go time. People would be pissed if TnT did nothing to improve the team this year, but are pissed that we are replacing loyal Hawks as well. Tough spot for the coaches. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't like the game, but Iowa is playing it to get back on top, which is what we all want.

The landscape for college wrestling is a nightmare for coaches now. If you recruit poorly, then bring in transfers to replace recruits that are underperforming, you are an asshole. If you don't bring in transfers and go with your guys, you are ok with 2nd place or worse, which leads to fans calling for your head (and boosters). Other than recruiting homeruns at every weight what is right and what is wrong? How many points did the Hawks score at 149 and 197 (possibly 133 too) last year and how many with 157 two years ago? They had their chance and struggled come go time. People would be pissed if TnT did nothing to improve the team this year, but are pissed that we are replacing loyal Hawks as well. Tough spot for the coaches. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't like the game, but Iowa is playing it to get back on top, which is what we all want.
I’d fully agree if it weren’t for the timing. They are catching shit for doing most of this in dark and way out of the normal bounds. I honestly think it needs to get slammed. We need defined time periods for transfers. Imagine being in ASUs seat today. They thought they were set. I’ll say the same thing if the OSU/Drake deal turns out to have any truth. Should’ve figured all that out during the window. A free for all with no windows is a nightmare.

I’d fully agree if it weren’t for the timing. They are catching shit for doing most of this in dark and way out of the normal bounds. I honestly think it needs to get slammed. We need defined time periods for transfers. Imagine being in ASUs seat today. They thought they were set. I’ll say the same thing if the OSU/Drake deal turns out to have any truth. Should’ve figured all that out during the window. A free for all with no windows is a nightmare.
I just don’t know what to say here. So many choices.

The damned window joke will haunt us for centuries

Firstly it's important to point out that the transfer portal isn't public unless the athlete makes it public so it's entirely possible none of this was unusual and he's always been sitting in the portal. Only coaches and administrators have to be in the loop on those things because they are the only ones with access to it. A big group of ASU wrestlers did enter when Sunkist Kids came to an end, and some like Schultz chose to stay. The Teemer rumors were also on here for two months at this point, so also shouldn't have come as a suprise to anybody on the actual team if there was smoke there to begin with. Iowa women just lost Bella Mir two days ago to North Central. She was never publicly in the transfer portal, nor was she a grad transfer. North Central's coach all but admitted the spot came open because they had an injury at the weight. So more than likely she's been in the portal for months waiting to see if she wanted to stay or go.

Last edited:
Firstly it's important to point out that the transfer portal isn't public unless the athlete makes it public so it's entirely possible none of this was unusual and he's always been sitting in the portal. Only coaches and administrators have to be in the loop on those things because they are the only ones with access to it. A big group of ASU wrestlers did enter when Sunkist Kids came to an end, and some like Schultz chose to stay. The Teemer rumors were also on here for two months at the this point, so also shouldn't have come as a suprise to anybody on the actual team if there was smoke there to begin with. Iowa women just lost Bella Mir two days ago to North Central. She was never publicly in the transfer portal, nor was she a grad transfer. North Central's coach all but admitted the spot came open because they had an injury at the weight. So more than likely she's been in the portal for months waiting to see if she wanted to stay or go.
But she shouldn’t have been imo. The window should be extremely strict. Teams don’t need to worry about this stuff all year and kids need to be decisive or ride it out another year.

They wouldn't be.

No, I don't.

I think you may have misunderstood. My reference to Metcalf, Borshel, et al was a joke at VHS because he falsely claimed to have wrestled at Iowa with them.
I don’t have any inside info any more, but I could always hit a high c on vhs. Metcalf and Jaybo were a lot tougher on D. Those were the days.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Firstly it's important to point out that the transfer portal isn't public unless the athlete makes it public so it's entirely possible none of this was unusual and he's always been sitting in the portal.
just for the record, neither Teemer nor Buchanan (nor Glazier, for that matter) ever went in the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: bammhawk1
Firstly it's important to point out that the transfer portal isn't public unless the athlete makes it public so it's entirely possible none of this was unusual and he's always been sitting in the portal. Only coaches and administrators have to be in the loop on those things because they are the only ones with access to it. A big group of ASU wrestlers did enter when Sunkist Kids came to an end, and some like Schultz chose to stay. The Teemer rumors were also on here for two months at this point, so also shouldn't have come as a suprise to anybody on the actual team if there was smoke there to begin with. Iowa women just lost Bella Mir two days ago to North Central. She was never publicly in the transfer portal, nor was she a grad transfer. North Central's coach all but admitted the spot came open because they had an injury at the weight. So more than likely she's been in the portal for months waiting to see if she wanted to stay or go.
They weren't in the portal and didn't need to be. Graduate students can enroll in grad school anywhere. And many people have friends who are coaches and are aware of who's in the portal

Reactions: AtownPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT