ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

They weren't in the portal and didn't need to be. Graduate students can enroll in grad school anywhere. And many people have friends who are coaches and are aware of who's in the portal
I get it but the rules need to be tweaked either way. ASU obviously knew it’s a possibility but they have to sit on their hands and watch it drag out 3 months too long while the offer gets right? Leaving them no time to respond with roster additions of their own? Same with Iowa and North Central… you have to have some tight windows. If the grad window is larger than so be it… if they have an opportunity at midterm then so be it but it needs to be well understood and concise

Reactions: Trapper85
I get it but the rules need to be tweaked either way. ASU obviously knew it’s a possibility but they have to sit on their hands and watch it drag out 3 months too long while the offer gets right? Leaving them no time to respond with roster additions of their own? Same with Iowa and North Central… you have to have some tight windows. If the grad window is larger than so be it… if they have an opportunity at midterm then so be it but it needs to be well understood and concise
The grad student situation has been that way for awhile now. The portal didn't create that. Iowa could've lost out as well. If Teemer & Buchanan decided not to come it could've cost Iowa as well with Glazier & Cobe leaving it's the risk you take

Reactions: AtownPoke
ASU obviously knew it’s a possibility but they have to sit on their hands and watch it drag out 3 months too long while the offer gets right? Leaving them no time to respond with roster additions of their own?
i'm not sure i understand how "ASU had no time to respond"

it was the longest, most drawn out transfer in the history of college athletics

Can't imagine any of this chaos has been fun for the coaches.

Lots of sleepless nights, I'm betting.(no pun intended)

With the lineup that was posted on here for psu we are a lot closer than some May think.

125: psu out places Iowa(true Freshman have the same issues of deer in the headlights for psu as last year) very doubtful but possible still get out placed this year
133: Iowa out places here by a pretty wide margin.
141: psu more points
149: Iowa more points
157: with Haines out of lineup Iowa scores more points
165: does O’Toole stay here??? If so take away champ points for psu either way only 1 spot higher for psu here.
174: Iowa scores more points
184: can Starfish beat Keck? Either way psu score more points.
197: Iowa scores more points
Hwt: psu scores more points
5 to 5 how many champs does each team have maybe 1 sure fire for psu(hwt) if Teemer goes 157 and Hanes is out I think we match 1 to 1. Starfish would be 2nd heavy favorite but not sold he beats Keck just yet. I feel Ayala matches similar result to Starfish. 1st or 2nd. Next possible favorite for psu is M&M a lot depends on O’Toole. Either way truly feel hawks finish 1 spot behind M&M with Cali. We have a 197lber that can challenge for a title to match Bartlett. Parco and Lilly should easily match points. Bottom line is Iowa is closer than most realize and I can’t wait for the fur to fly.

With the lineup that was posted on here for psu we are a lot closer than some May think.

125: psu out places Iowa(true Freshman have the same issues of deer in the headlights for psu as last year) very doubtful but possible still get out placed this year
165: does O’Toole stay here??? If so take away champ points for psu either way only 1 spot higher for psu here.
5 to 5 how many champs does each team have maybe 1 sure fire for psu(hwt) if Teemer goes 157 and Hanes is out I think we match 1 to 1. Starfish would be 2nd heavy favorite but not sold he beats Keck just yet. I feel Ayala matches similar result to Starfish. 1st or 2nd. Next possible favorite for psu is M&M a lot depends on O’Toole. Either way truly feel hawks finish 1 spot behind M&M with Cali. We have a 197lber that can challenge for a title to match Bartlett. Parco and Lilly should easily match points. Bottom line is Iowa is closer than most realize and I can’t wait for the fur to fly.
Its all about bonus points. Always has been

And if Brands and Co. didn’t adapt, there would be a bunch of smartass quoters saying, “we like our guys”. It’s amazing how grown ass men bitch, moan and criticize - nothing is going to satisfy them.

Brands is doing the best he can given the hand he’s been dealt. It’s crazy that people are complaining when they’re doing everything in their power to put the best team on the mat. At what time has brands ever given the impression he doesn’t want the best guy at that weight to compete?
The hand he's be dealt???

Reactions: el dub
If the staff lied I’d question anyone who’d be happy with that and ok with it.

A big if…but if true, the Brands water goes from warm to boiling hot in a hurry.
If this is true it wouldn't suprise me all that much. We are talking about a coach who has an abnormally large number of burned bridges with his former wrestlers and staff.

ASU has been aware of the offer/situation since April.
I’m not disagreeing.. I’m saying this drug out so long (and they obviously wanted to keep him so they didn’t move on in April) that they’re left without a difference maker and no way to try and fill that hole going into the season. That’s all I’m saying.

ASU obviously knew it’s a possibility but they have to sit on their hands and watch it drag out 3 months too long while the offer gets right? Leaving them no time to respond with roster additions of their own?
your words. 'they knew' in april, yet also 'they had no time'

it was an odd situation where Jacori didn't make up his mind until the 11th hour.

I certainly feel for them. they recruited right and developed a multi time AA only for him to be poached. but they certainly 'had time' to figure it out.

ASU will be fine, though. Larkin is gonna be a killer. which is why someone with a very (very) large brain took him in fantasy last year. :p

The landscape for college wrestling is a nightmare for coaches now. If you recruit poorly, then bring in transfers to replace recruits that are underperforming, you are an asshole. If you don't bring in transfers and go with your guys, you are ok with 2nd place or worse, which leads to fans calling for your head (and boosters). Other than recruiting homeruns at every weight what is right and what is wrong? How many points did the Hawks score at 149 and 197 (possibly 133 too) last year and how many with 157 two years ago? They had their chance and struggled come go time. People would be pissed if TnT did nothing to improve the team this year, but are pissed that we are replacing loyal Hawks as well. Tough spot for the coaches. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't like the game, but Iowa is playing it to get back on top, which is what we all want.
Amen! The portal is here to stay and if you don’t take advantage of it you’ll get left behind.

You are for a rude awakening once PSU sets their lineup, won't really be close, but hey it's the off season, so enjoy the annual delusion.

You are for a rude awakening once PSU sets their lineup, won't really be close, but hey it's the off season, so enjoy the annual delusion.
There’s been no “delusion” from Iowa fans about where we stand compared to PSU. That being said, this has the potential to be our best lineup in some time

Reactions: MSU158
Shame on someone for getting excited on an IOWA SITE to have a team with multiple finalists and 6 guys with top 5 finishes. Add in super frosh like Kueter and Arnold and it could arguably be the best team they have had since 2010.

No one is remotely being close to delusional. Everyone here knows how good PSU is. However, on paper, it is far from delusional to at least think Iowa is a lot closer than they have been in a while and one of the biggest PSU trolls on here isn’t going to Infuence that either way…

Remember a few years ago PSU brought in Drew Hildebrandt and Brady Berge late - no one seemed to care then.

I think Van Ness is going to win a title this year

Shame on someone for getting excited on an IOWA SITE to have a team with multiple finalists and 6 guys with top 5 finishes. Add in super frosh like Kueter and Arnold and it could arguably be the best team they have had since 2010.

No one is remotely being close to delusional. Everyone here knows how good PSU is. However, on paper, it is far from delusional to at least think Iowa is a lot closer than they have been in a while and one of the biggest PSU trolls on here isn’t going to Infuence that either way…

Ummm have you met Spoons?

• Haha
Reactions: 12tdsaw and el dub
How can you make these claims while observing his recruiting “effort” is beyond me.

He’s NOT doing everything in his power and thus why he’s depending on boosters to poach players off other rosters to fill out a roster.
Exactly, the gun for hire situation he is in is a product of his failure to put in the effort on the front end to recruit and secure young talent. It takes more work to actually build the program than it does to throw money at grad transfers. For me personally I would rather them possibly finish 2-5 than finish 2 with a pipe dream at 1 using guys cashing checks on their way off the mat that I have had no investment in during their career to this point. Pay for play takes enjoyment out of being a fan.

Exactly, the gun for hire situation he is in is a product of his failure to put in the effort on the front end to recruit and secure young talent. It takes more work to actually build the program than it does to throw money at grad transfers. For me personally I would rather them possibly finish 2-5 than finish 2 with a pipe dream at 1 using guys cashing checks on their way off the mat that I have had no investment in during their career to this point. Pay for play takes enjoyment out of being a fan.
So is the fact that Carl has often lately used guns for hire mean he has too been a failure to put in an effort on the recruiting front end?

Reactions: CRIA7415 and el dub
Having a high number of guys at or near the top of the podium is “what it’s about.” Of course, sometimes that goes hand in hand with bonus.
I get that he can be overzealous at times. But, THIS TIME, what did he post that was soooooo wrong?

And that wasn’t really my argument. It was the specific poster blanketing delusion on the entire fanbase…

So is the fact that Carl has often lately used guns for hire mean he has too been a failure to put in an effort on the recruiting front end?
Carl bringing in grad transfers is just icing on the cake. Anyone who knows anything knows he has no issues securing elite front end talent. He uses a grad transfer to fill the occasional weaker spot in the lineup but in reality he hasn't needed them to get over the top, just extra firepower to squash any debate about who will be winning. Dean went there on his own and they had an AA level guy sitting already who then left. Their guy at 184 last year wanted to go there, they didn't have to hunt him down to get him and they have a young recruited stud on roster to take over even if starocci had left. What's our plan for 157 after Teemer? What's our plan for 197 after Buchanan? Like it or not our use of grad transfers has a lot more desperation associated with it the what Carl does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT