ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Exactly, the gun for hire situation he is in is a product of his failure to put in the effort on the front end to recruit and secure young talent. It takes more work to actually build the program than it does to throw money at grad transfers. For me personally I would rather them possibly finish 2-5 than finish 2 with a pipe dream at 1 using guys cashing checks on their way off the mat that I have had no investment in during their career to this point. Pay for play takes enjoyment out of being a fan.
I’d rather have top hs talent come in as well. But hired guns is where it’s at, currently if we want to be competitive. And I’d much rather be competitive than put hopes and prayers on guys who should be room guys getting it done on the big stage no matter how much we like them.

Last edited:
And if Brands and Co. didn’t adapt, there would be a bunch of smartass quoters saying, “we like our guys”. It’s amazing how grown ass men bitch, moan and criticize - nothing is going to satisfy them.

Brands is doing the best he can given the hand he’s been dealt. It’s crazy that people are complaining when they’re doing everything in their power to put the best team on the mat. At what time has brands ever given the impression he doesn’t want the best guy at that weight to compete?
I’m not mad at Brands for playing the game, unless he outright lied to “our guys”. I’m just mad at the game itself.

Carl bringing in grad transfers is just icing on the cake. Anyone who knows anything knows he has no issues securing elite front end talent. He uses a grad transfer to fill the occasional weaker spot in the lineup but in reality he hasn't needed them to get over the top, just extra firepower to squash any debate about who will be winning. Dean went there on his own and they had an AA level guy sitting already who then left. Their guy at 184 last year wanted to go there, they didn't have to hunt him down to get him and they have a young recruited stud on roster to take over even if starocci had left. What's our plan for 157 after Teemer? What's our plan for 197 after Buchanan? Like it or not our use of grad transfers has a lot more desperation associated with it the what Carl does.
That’s all true, imo. But until we start getting top hs kids to commit we currently need transfers to be competitive.

I’d rather have too hs talent come in as well. But hired guns is where it’s at, currently if we want to be competitive. And I’d much rather be competitive than put hopes and prayers on guys who should be room guys getting it done on the big stage no matter how much we like them.
I don't like it but I agree that hired guns are better than room guys. The up front issue needs to be fixed though because hired guns are not a reliable long term plan.

Since 2021 yes
2021 was a really good team. Everyone would happily take 128.5 right now, if it was guaranteed. But, I do think this team legitimately has the potential to be better. If the 6 AA’s simply repeat their best finishes(some could absolutely exceed them) that is 18.5+13+17+15+10+17=80.5. Add in 15 or so each from Arnold and Keuter and you start to get in range.

Caliendo, Buchanan, Teemer and Ayala could all be title threats. Parco could make the finals with the right draw. Whatever points they get out of 141 and 125 could be a big bonus.

Now, to be clear I do not expect them to beat PSU, but they really could at least get close to them in a a year where right after the 2024 NCAA’s no one thought anyone would be remotely close…

Reactions: el dub
I don't like it but I agree that hired guns are better than room guys. The up front issue needs to be fixed though because hired guns are not a reliable long term plan.
Yep.
Given the guys brought in, you're looking at buying three more guys next year.
Jeebus!

Exactly, the gun for hire situation he is in is a product of his failure to put in the effort on the front end to recruit and secure young talent. It takes more work to actually build the program than it does to throw money at grad transfers. For me personally I would rather them possibly finish 2-5 than finish 2 with a pipe dream at 1 using guys cashing checks on their way off the mat that I have had no investment in during their career to this point. Pay for play takes enjoyment out of being a fan.
Depends if your job is on the line

The landscape for college wrestling is a nightmare for coaches now. If you recruit poorly, then bring in transfers to replace recruits that are underperforming, you are an asshole. If you don't bring in transfers and go with your guys, you are ok with 2nd place or worse, which leads to fans calling for your head (and boosters). Other than recruiting homeruns at every weight what is right and what is wrong? How many points did the Hawks score at 149 and 197 (possibly 133 too) last year and how many with 157 two years ago? They had their chance and struggled come go time. People would be pissed if TnT did nothing to improve the team this year, but are pissed that we are replacing loyal Hawks as well. Tough spot for the coaches. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't like the game, but Iowa is playing it to get back on top, which is what we all want.
Spot on. NIL launched “mercenary times” and Iowa’s just navigating the new landscape. Fortunes will be made, feelings will be hurt, and loyalty on both sides of the transaction will lose many wars to the power of money.
It’ll be hard to fault any kid/family chasing life-altering cash, and easy to root for the one sent packing to someday beat his wealthy replacement. Sadly, “vanity wealth” spent on behalf of a handful of universities may shrink the team title race. But the cool flipside of our sport will remain.
In March, at 10 weights, 33 different wrestlers from 33 different schools and 33 different levels of NIL will be bracketed. The resulting “individual” national titles will have less to do with the size of some vain fat cat’s bag than the size of some tough young athlete’s heart.

2021 was a really good team. Everyone would happily take 128.5 right now, if it was guaranteed. But, I do think this team legitimately has the potential to be better. If the 6 AA’s simply repeat their best finishes(some could absolutely exceed them) that is 18.5+13+17+15+10+17=80.5. Add in 15 or so each from Arnold and Keuter and you start to get in range.

Caliendo, Buchanan, Teemer and Ayala could all be title threats. Parco could make the finals with the right draw. Whatever points they get out of 141 and 125 could be a big bonus.

Now, to be clear I do not expect them to beat PSU, but they really could at least get close to them in a a year where right after the 2024 NCAA’s no one thought anyone would be remotely close…
We might not beat them right now…. But who knows what a team will look like in seven months. A lot can happen in that time. One injury or a bad performance by a PSU guy could open the door.

I’m not mad at Brands for playing the game, unless he outright lied to “our guys”. I’m just mad at the game itself.
It's hard to imagine that any of our guys were blindsided. We got Parco in May. Teemer has been a rumor since then. If they don't take care of business on the mat we need to do something. Rathjen failed to AA. Cobe failed to AA then got suspended. PK got partially suspended and failed to AA. We need to do something.

Everyone prattles on about one year rentals. Let's see if they stick around the room afterwards or come visit afterwards for a workout.

I’m not convinced the 174lb spot is Arnold’s yet. And, I hope Arnold is training like it’s not his spot too. I am one person who thinks he can win this spot - his relentless style has a way of wearing down good defense

I’m not convinced the 174lb spot is Arnold’s yet. And, I hope Arnold is training like it’s not his spot too. I am one person who thinks he can win this spot - his relentless style has a way of wearing down good defense

Also super hard to score on.

Reactions: el dub
I’m not yet convinced either, but I wouldn’t use the word relentless to describe his style. I actually think he could open up way more. He looks so strong and explosive when he wants to be. And as chief said, tough to score on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT