ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Transfer portal doesn't apply to grads. They fulfilled their academic requirements and are free to further their education elsewhere. I guess one could call it poaching, but if they are truly happy where they are, they wouldn't entertain leaving. It's a two way street. Guys hanging on for 6 years is also a strain on the scholly allocation and NIL funding. Maybe some of these high caliber graduates just aren't getting what they deserve and they are now open to greener pastures.

From what @smalls103 said, it doesn’t sound like the portal matters at all. Guys can just leave a school, enroll somewhere else and they are in.

Reactions: AFHawk86
From what @smalls103 said, it doesn’t sound like the portal matters at all. Guys can just leave a school, enroll somewhere else and they are in.

In order to take advantage of the 1 time transfer rule, an athlete must enter the transfer portal. There are exceptions for coaches leaving, graduates, and getting a scholarship reduced/eliminated/kicked off the team. The devil is in that last detail. If a coach doesn't want to stand in someone's way and is willing to help a guy transfer, they can take that step and they are free to go. It becomes very murky at that point. That's the way I understand it based on a convo I just had.

Or Iowas hate of him cloud judgement and they can’t stand he’s right some of the time.
Again, seriously? The guy has earned every single shred of animosity from this fanbase. Even if you go past the Iowa part, how and when he reports "news" is so unprofessional I have a hard time figuring out why you are defending him. Are you family? Or, does your name happen to be Pat?

Reactions: el dub
While I hope we just get better at initial recruiting, can't be mad at the coaches, or the wrestlers that MAY leave, when coaches push hard for presumably better transfers. Traditional loyalty only goes so far, especially now in today's NIL world. If you don't like change, you'll like irrelevance even less...... However, I do/will miss the old days of recruiting and team building.
What I bolded above will never sit well with me and I won't ever get on board with it. What the Hawks are doing might be the best way to get back to the top with the landscape that's here, but it doesn't sit well with me. Loyalty matters, to me and I think this will hurt Iowa in the long run. Not sure how, but it's tough for me to watch bridges being burned.

I also think that the Brands are great people and this whole thing probably has them losing sleep and questioning their morals.

Reactions: Gobblin and MitchLL
What I bolded above will never sit well with me and I won't ever get on board with it. What the Hawks are doing might be the best way to get back to the top with the landscape that's here, but it doesn't sit well with me. Loyalty matters, to me and I think this will hurt Iowa in the long run. Not sure how, but it's tough for me to watch bridges being burned.

I also think that the Brands are great people and this whole thing probably has them losing sleep and questioning their morals.
Agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. I’m guessing this new NIL/transfer happy landscape is a little uncomfortable for Brands and staff, but I appreciate them doing what is currently required to get the Hawks back on top. Recent results and recent national champs matters and we need to get some more guys wrestling and winning on Saturday nights and preferably in a dominant manner.

These recent moves give the team the best shot at that and I commend the staff for probably doing what is contradictory to their preference, but what is required given the current situation to get back on top and become a bigger draw for recruits.

With the lineup that was posted on here for psu we are a lot closer than some May think.

125: psu out places Iowa(true Freshman have the same issues of deer in the headlights for psu as last year) very doubtful but possible still get out placed this year
133: Iowa out places here by a pretty wide margin.
141: psu more points
149: Iowa more points
157: with Haines out of lineup Iowa scores more points
165: does O’Toole stay here??? If so take away champ points for psu either way only 1 spot higher for psu here.
174: Iowa scores more points
184: can Starfish beat Keck? Either way psu score more points.
197: Iowa scores more points
Hwt: psu scores more points
5 to 5 how many champs does each team have maybe 1 sure fire for psu(hwt) if Teemer goes 157 and Hanes is out I think we match 1 to 1. Starfish would be 2nd heavy favorite but not sold he beats Keck just yet. I feel Ayala matches similar result to Starfish. 1st or 2nd. Next possible favorite for psu is M&M a lot depends on O’Toole. Either way truly feel hawks finish 1 spot behind M&M with Cali. We have a 197lber that can challenge for a title to match Bartlett. Parco and Lilly should easily match points. Bottom line is Iowa is closer than most realize and I can’t wait for the fur to fly.
Not going to go through this whole dream scenario, but exactly how is Arnold going to score more points than PSU when he just lost two straight to the PSU guy who will not even sniff making the lineup this year?

In relevant news - the UI directory will have another new grad student. :)
scooby-doo-shaggy.gif

How does the Riggins transfer work? He's not in the portal and he's not a grad transfer?

Either way, good for him. Works hard and deserves an opportunity.

Reactions: sstark46 and el dub
The anti Iowa segment of the college wrestling world sure seems to be uniting in the rethoric and criticism.
The media side are tripping over each other with tweets and blogs.
Opposing fan bases are enjoying this.
Just more proof that even though PSU is the Big Dog right now, Iowa wrestling is still the centerpiece.

How does the Riggins transfer work? He's not in the portal and he's not a grad transfer?

Either way, good for him. Works hard and deserves an opportunity.
Spooner said earlier that the coaches could reduce or take away his scholarship if he asked or they wanted to, which would allow him to transfer without using the portal. I'm sure if that is true TnT would be willing to do that to let these guys try to be a starter somewhere else. This will hurt all teams depth if true I'm guessing.

Reactions: js8793
The anti Iowa segment of the college wrestling world sure seems to be uniting in the rethoric and criticism.
The media side are tripping over each other with tweets and blogs.
Opposing fan bases are enjoying this.
Just more proof that even though PSU is the Big Dog right now, Iowa wrestling is still the centerpiece.
Yeah it's a double-edged sword swung exclusively at Iowa.

If TNT stand firm and back Siebrecht, Riggins, Hill, and Glazier they're recruiting sucks and they aren't doing enough to win.

On the other hand they go out and land MONSTER transfers in Parco, Teemer, and Buchanan (and let's not forget Caliendo/ Franek), which are clear upgrades and all around better wrestlers then they get crucified for it.

Michigan did the same thing and dare we ignore a few of the big mercenary hires PSU has stirred up?

I've been critical of TNT over the past few years and rightfully so, but the transfer portal is one area they are kicking ass in. Now they need to compliment this advantage with legit blue chip recruits that actually pan out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT