ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Isn’t it really up to him? They tell him no he redshirts and leave. They tell him yes he redshirts and maybe stays. Either way I’d think it’s on his shoulders

We just brought our baby girl into this world a couple weeks ago, so I'll go once more for her and that's it.
This is my bleak future with Disney World.
I go every year for cheer championships. Love my goddaughter; hate Disney! 😂😂

yea tom made the call to raney, so it's his fault the kid got injured at under 17s
I’d argue it wasn’t Tom’s fault at all, as he wasn’t on the Iowa roster at any time. BUT, I’m simply just a lowly member of the dick nose contingent, so take it FWIW.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: el dub
Carl has recruited over his on roster wrestlers and signed free agent portal guys for quite a while now. Nobody has made a fuss he and Pee St are the devil incarnate for it. And if his recruited over or portal-replaced wrestlers didn't like it, nobody is accusing him of disloyalty to them. If you are on a team, you have to earn the spot and then produce towards the team goals. If you don't then Carl gets rid of you if he can find someone better. The PSU roster has been littered with them. Now all of a sudden it's 'bad Iowa' for doing same. Sorry, I don't buy it. It's just the hate iowa syndrome.

Those 'shambles'are going to be a stronger team than last years. What is Swid afraid of? Shambles may appropriately describe his career to date.
It's going to be nothing short of a miracle if Swiddy makes it 4/5 years at ISU.

Some upperclassman needs to get in his face, because it's clear the coaches aren't.
Step one should be confiscating his driver's license.

Reactions: vhsalum

Many compliance offices read the first two paragraphs and interpret that as saying they can enroll anywhere. And say the portal is used for contact and offers.

I have zero inside scoop and don't know what the h*ll is going on with all of this, but I will say it's really, really funny seeing how worked up all these podcast dorks and other programs are getting over it. Lol. "Obsessed" isn't a big enough word.
Iowa has the biggest fan base and people know they will get a reaction and attention for it. Iowa drives clicks

I have zero inside scoop and don't know what the h*ll is going on with all of this, but I will say it's really, really funny seeing how worked up all these podcast dorks and other programs are getting over it. Lol. "Obsessed" isn't a big enough word.
if someone has a college wrestling podcast and the most historic program in wrestling gets 3 perennial all american transfers and they DONT talk about it, they aren't doing their job.

it's not about 'clicks' ffs. unless you're in some kind of weird denial, it's undoubtedly the biggest story in wrestling at the moment.

if someone has a college wrestling podcast and the most historic program in wrestling gets 3 perennial all american transfers and they DONT talk about it, they aren't doing their job.

it's not about 'clicks' ffs. unless you're in some kind of weird denial, it's undoubtedly the biggest story in wrestling at the moment.
Iowa is ALWAYS the biggest story in wrestling, as you already know.

I'm not here to start an argument with you but that's sort of transfer 101 in today's world.
no. it's not.

you can literally (not go in the portal and) show up on campus and as long as you're ok on your progress-to-degree (i.e. enough credits transferred) you're in the clear.

no other conditions have to be met.

again, not trying to argue with you, and this is news to a lot of people. i talked to coaches last week who just realized this. i'd say more coaches don't know this than do.

Not about "clicks"?

Do you not sell ad space on your site?

I go every year for cheer championships. Love my goddaughter; hate Disney! 😂😂
Last time my wife's large family went to Disney years ago, on day 2 I said screw it and drove to some swampy backcountry instead, found some old Florida Game and Fish guys working a turkey check station and sat and shot the shit with them much of the day. Great choice, wife evenually forgave me.

Not about "clicks"?

Do you not sell ad space on your site?
no. what site do you think i run?

but again, if you're not talking about this, you're not doing your job. you guys are bat$hit crazy.

imagine and All Pro getting traded from the Dolphins to the cowboys. do you not think it would be on every sports outlet in america?

stay in denial all you want.

i wouldn't say that. but they certainly are at the front of the pack when being discussed.

couple their history with the current goings on and you'd have to be an abject moron to not think it would be newsworthy.

but, i digress.
You've been around these parts long enough to know it's "moran"

Use it right or don't use it at all.

no. what site do you think i run?

but again, if you're not talking about this, you're not doing your job. you guys are bat$hit crazy.

imagine and All Pro getting traded from the Dolphins to the cowboys. do you not think it would be on every sports outlet in america?

stay in denial all you want.
I think is less the fact that Iowa news gets talked about often, and more the hyperbole, half truths, or outright lies that some put out there. Not saying you do this Willie,--or Corby, Flo, or other reputable guys in the wrestling media space. I think you do a solid job and are clearly knowledgeable and passionate about the sport.

It's the people like Mineo who are obvious agenda-driven clowns that push any whiff of news about Iowa in the most tantalizing and negative light, while the same or worse issues at other programs get next to zero mention. I get it, Iowa is the bad bully from yesteryear that most people still love to hate, and our dumb as shit social media culture perpetuates that mindless narrative, especially when jokes like Mineo can profit off of it.

I don't think you deserve heat for how you have reported on Iowa-related news, but there are a number of unscrupulous actors out there that try to tear Iowa down at every turn. Might be some misplaced anger here. But that kind of crap is what bothers Hawk fans.

that's fair.

i just don't know why i get dragged into it or accused of it. i have a love-hate with what Iowa does and how they do it currently. i freely (and repeatedly) admit that. i don't mind if you take some offense to what i say (provided it's actually what i said). but i call it how i see it.

and to suggest some ulterior, mischievous motive because i merely talk about it is not only trying too hard, it's not part of reality. media is going to talk about major developments at a perennial power.

Many compliance offices read the first two paragraphs and interpret that as saying they can enroll anywhere. And say the portal is used for contact and offers.

I’m deferring to you and your connections at this point. Appreciate the info.

I didn't say anything about "clicks."

I can go back and take a look but off the top of my head when PSU landed guys like MM or Nagaou or Dean or Truax or when UM landed DeAug or Griffith or any of the others, I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about how unloyal they were to their current guys, how big their bags were, how p*ssed their other top guys must be for not getting paid as much, etc etc etc. It was just PSU/UM landed this stud, and then weeks later something about how their current guy has "found a new home" somewhere else.

Of course you're going to talk about Iowa getting AA transfers. It's the way you cover one vs. how you cover the others. "Love/hate" is hilarious. You guys are obsessed with Iowa and want nothing more than to see our coaches fail. Like I said, it's really funny.

that's fair.

i just don't know why i get dragged into it.
drag? You throw or at least open yourself up to it when you validate a minnow post or divulge financial offers from second hand sources before finalization.
i have a love-hate with what Iowa does and how they do it currently. i freely (and repeatedly) admit that. i don't mind if you take some offense to what i say (provided it's actually what i said). but i call it how i see it.
It shows more than you think. I can only imagine how it comes off behind closed doors with recruits and their parents no matter how impartial you think you really are.

I didn't say anything about "clicks."
wasn't talking to you. read the thread.
I can go back and take a look but off the top of my head when UM landed DeAug or Griffith or any of the others, I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about how unloyal they were to their current guys, how big their bags were, how p*ssed their other top guys must be for not getting paid as much, etc etc etc.
please do. i talked about it often, with plenty of jokes. i even said i didn't like them cold calling kids. which they were doing. i specifically mentioned that they were trying to poach Buchanan (when he was at Wyoming) and said it was scummy and bs.

not my fault if you didn't see it.
PSU landed guys like MM or Nagaou or Dean or Truax
Three of them were in the portal. There wasn't anything 'outside the lines' there. Dean might have been too. i don't recall. and everyone knows Dean (who psu didn't even need) left b/c of covid bs (which i talked about).

what is 'the dirt' you want me to talk about there? i don't know what alternative universe you live in, but those situations aren't the same.

Of course you're going to talk about Iowa getting AA transfers. It's the way you cover one vs. how you cover the others.
you just demonstrated you have no idea how i talk about other programs
"Love/hate" is hilarious. You guys are obsessed with Iowa and want nothing more than to see our coaches fail. Like I said, it's really funny.
why, on earth, would i suddenly want iowa to fail? there was a time i was relatively close to the staff. i just one day went rogue?

there's a real weird vibe from top to bottom about iowa. total paranoia.

at the end of the day, if you want the media to stop talking about iowa, stop giving us stuff to talk about.

• Haha
Reactions: bammhawk1
wasn't talking to you. read the thread.

please do. i talked about it often, with plenty of jokes. i even said i didn't like them cold calling kids. which they were doing. i specifically mentioned that they were trying to poach Buchanan (when he was at Wyoming) and said it was scummy and bs.

not my fault if you didn't see it.

Three of them were in the portal. There wasn't anything 'outside the lines' there. Dean might have been too. i don't recall. and everyone knows Dean (who psu didn't even need) left b/c of covid bs (which i talked about).

what is 'the dirt' you want me to talk about there? i don't know what alternative universe you live in, but those situations aren't the same.

you just demonstrated you have no idea how i talk about other programs

why, on earth, would i suddenly want iowa to fail? there was a time i was relatively close to the staff. i just one day went rogue?

there's a real weird vibe from top to bottom about iowa. total paranoia.

at the end of the day, if you want the media to stop talking about iowa, stop giving us stuff to talk about.
Right. Just like you posting $$$ amounts for Iowa's transfer activity but never for those other programs. Those $$$ amounts are only "interesting" when it involves Iowa. These transfer situations are only "interesting" and "outside the lines" and "dirty" when they involve Iowa.

Carry on, Brokaw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT