ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I was talking with some Wisconsin fans/boosters this weekend at the tourney. They are still upset Bono was hired over Askren (he was being considered). Especially since Bono was pretty much on his way out at SDSU.
Bono was on his way out at SDSU? Admin problems? Because he had a lot of success there and was considered a hot candidate when hired.

I like both, but can Alvarez still make 141, and can McGonagle still make 133? Both are AA caliber at their lower weights, but neither has done it before, and both are going into their sixth year. Two more potential fringe AAs. I suppose if the alternatives are Schriever and Matthews... :)
So who knows what happened to Alvarez at OkSt last season?

Last edited:
Congrats to Nasir Bailey for becoming Littke Rock’s 1st ever AA and putting that program on the map.

(Bailey crumples up the map).

Does anyone still think NIL and the portal are good for collegiate sports?

Bailey was dang good coming out of high school. I remember thinking it was a surprise that he went to Little Rock. He went there for a reason so I’m guessing (hoping) he sticks with them…unless of course Iowa gets him then I’m all good with big robbing small.

Bailey was dang good coming out of high school. I remember thinking it was a surprise that he went to Little Rock. He went there for a reason so I’m guessing (hoping) he sticks with them…unless of course Iowa gets him then I’m all good with big robbing small.
He lost 2 freestyle to Block and beat him in folk style their senior year. I can’t believe he made 133, more likely a decent size 141. Seems we have a need🧐. Now hope for a good 125 for at least a year so Ayala can go 133, and our light weight situation looks good next year. Maybe Ramos would come here from Purdue for a year.

2024 NCAA D1 Wrestling Off-Season Transfer Tracker

Athlete2024-25 YearWeightEntered PortalTransferring From
Dean HamitiSenior165March 25Wisconsin
Jacob JoyceFreshman125March 25Stanford
Sammy AlvarezGraduate149March 25Oklahoma State
Jason KraisserGraduate157March 25Iowa State
Gage CookSophomore285March 22Army
Cam SodaJunior141March 21Edinboro
Connor McGonagleGraduate133March 21Lehigh
Devin WasleySophomore174March 21Minnesota
Peyton MooreSophomore141March 21Missouri
Damen PapeJunior184March 21Northern Colorado
Nathan HigleySophomore141March 20George Mason
Brock DelsignoreJunior184March 20NC State
Carter BloughSophomore197March 20Michigan State
Brock McMillenJunior157March 20Pitt
Braxton FriesSophomore133March 20Ohio State
Jacob HouptFreshman125March 20Kent State
Connor StrongSenior184March 20Penn
Anthony DeRosaJunior184March 20Bloomsburg
Peter CasaleSophomore285March 20Rutgers
Brant WhitakerJunior165March 20Missouri
Billy BroskoFreshman285March 20Drexel
Ryan BoersmaSophomore285March 20Missouri
Braden WelchSophomore174March 20App State
Korbin ShepherdJunior133March 20Missouri
Carson HatchSenior285March 20CSU Bakersfield
Zachary EspalinJunior125March 20Navy
Evan TallmadgeFreshman125March 20Navy
Macray KlohsFreshman197March 20NDSU
Coen GrimmFreshman197March 20Buffalo
Aiden SmithSophomore157March 20Northern Illinois
Hayden PummelJunior174March 20Northern Illinois
Kaiser SimpsonFreshman141March 20Cal Baptist
Gurshaan GillFreshman285March 20Cal Baptist
WOW, over 30 already! Yes this is KILLING college sports!!!

Wondering how kids from NAVY are on here??? Do they not make a commitment getting free school and then have to do several years of service? What am I missing?

Reactions: xjohnx
There's a big misconception about Do Not Contact. It means teams can't reach out to him. It doesn't mean he can't talk to a ton of teams. He will, or already has, contact every team is interested and they can all recruit him. It doesn't mean that's he's 100% set on where he's going, even if he knows where he wants to be right now.
Thanks for that info.

Wondering how kids from NAVY are on here??? Do they not make a commitment getting free school and then have to do several years of service? What am I missing?
You can leave the service academies in your first two years with no penalty. After that, you have to pay back your tuition or enlist without graduating.

Congrats to Nasir Bailey for becoming Littke Rock’s 1st ever AA and putting that program on the map.

(Bailey crumples up the map).

Does anyone still think NIL and the portal are good for collegiate sports?
In the current state? No. Idk what an ideal future state would be though. I think together NIL and portal bring out the worst parts of both.

You can leave an academy. It will cost you financial though.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
In the current state? No. Idk what an ideal future state would be though. I think together NIL and portal bring out the worst parts of both.
Was there a recent change that allows you to enter the portal and transfer as many times as you want without having to sit out. Proctor took advantage of this to portal back to Alabama after transferring to us less than 2 months ago. This will really cause kaos.

Reactions: grapplefann
Was there a recent change that allows you to enter the portal and transfer as many times as you want without having to sit out. Proctor took advantage of this to portal back to Alabama after transferring to us less than 2 months ago. This will really cause kaos.
I know there’s a lawsuit to do exactly that. And a judge ruling which prevented the NCAA from enforcing penalty/restriction on athletes that transferred more than once, although that was supposed to be temporary and not sure if it changed.

One free transfer, a transfer if coach leaves, and a grad transfer seems like plenty to me.

Can we waste a couple months and incite some really crazy arguments about Gable Steveson coming to Iowa again ? It would only take one cryptic Twitter message or a rumor on Instagram and KAPOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! We could become involved in a huge bidding war with the WWE !! We really need something to break the monotony of hearing how great the PSU program is and how bad Iowa is and how all the PSU folks know what is best for a Mid western college 11 hours away from them. That story will be played over and over for the entire off season.

He lost 2 freestyle to Block and beat him in folk style their senior year. I can’t believe he made 133, more likely a decent size 141. Seems we have a need🧐. Now hope for a good 125 for at least a year so Ayala can go 133, and our light weight situation looks good next year. Maybe Ramos would come here from Purdue for a year.
Tell him only if he brings both of the Blaze brothers with him.

Is Ayala too big for 125? He doesn’t seem like he’s strong enough for 133…

2024 NCAA D1 Wrestling Off-Season Transfer Tracker

Athlete2024-25 YearWeightEntered PortalTransferring From
Dean HamitiSenior165March 25Wisconsin
Jacob JoyceFreshman125March 25Stanford
Sammy AlvarezGraduate149March 25Oklahoma State
Jason KraisserGraduate157March 25Iowa State
Gage CookSophomore285March 22Army
Cam SodaJunior141March 21Edinboro
Connor McGonagleGraduate133March 21Lehigh
Devin WasleySophomore174March 21Minnesota
Peyton MooreSophomore141March 21Missouri
Damen PapeJunior184March 21Northern Colorado
Nathan HigleySophomore141March 20George Mason
Brock DelsignoreJunior184March 20NC State
Carter BloughSophomore197March 20Michigan State
Brock McMillenJunior157March 20Pitt
Braxton FriesSophomore133March 20Ohio State
Jacob HouptFreshman125March 20Kent State
Connor StrongSenior184March 20Penn
Anthony DeRosaJunior184March 20Bloomsburg
Peter CasaleSophomore285March 20Rutgers
Brant WhitakerJunior165March 20Missouri
Billy BroskoFreshman285March 20Drexel
Ryan BoersmaSophomore285March 20Missouri
Braden WelchSophomore174March 20App State
Korbin ShepherdJunior133March 20Missouri
Carson HatchSenior285March 20CSU Bakersfield
Zachary EspalinJunior125March 20Navy
Evan TallmadgeFreshman125March 20Navy
Macray KlohsFreshman197March 20NDSU
Coen GrimmFreshman197March 20Buffalo
Aiden SmithSophomore157March 20Northern Illinois
Hayden PummelJunior174March 20Northern Illinois
Kaiser SimpsonFreshman141March 20Cal Baptist
Gurshaan GillFreshman285March 20Cal Baptist
Is the Portal published anywhere where the general public can see it?

Bono was on his way out at SDSU? Admin problems? Because he had a lot of success there and was considered a hot candidate when hired.
At the conclusion of the 2018 NCAA’s in Cleveland, a good friend of mine told me there was a strong chance Bono was going to be let go.

My friend is an SDSU booster & graduate and also an All-American wrestler for them, still living in SD and very connected to the program.

I don’t know more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
When he was recruited and signed I actually had a little bit of hope that he might turn out. I guess if he does it's not at iowa, good luck to the young man wherever he goes.
I assumed both he and Ybarra were content to be on the roster and wrestle a couple of opens each year. But apparently he wants to start somewhere, so good for him.

Reactions: 12tdsaw and sabula
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT